MKV files play on WMC but not on extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
michaeljc70

HTPC Specs: Show details

MKV files play on WMC but not on extender

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 am

I use just a mkv splitter on my mc7. It works fine. However they don't work on my extenders (both linksys). I really dont want to install bloated codec packs. Any ideas?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 am

I uninstalled Haali splitter and installed the Shark codec pack (using recommended settings). Again, can play mkvs on my main Media Center, but they don't play on either of my extenders. I tried multiple mkvs. Nobody else has this problem or a solution?

masonstorm1979

Post by masonstorm1979 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Your best bet is to change the container over to WTV using DVRMSToolbox which will retain quality and allow thumbnail skipping etc. Top!

Only snag is that the xbox 360 doesn't support DTS so sometimes you have to convert DTS to AC3 and then contain as WTV, still pretty slick though.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:59 am

michaeljc70 wrote:I uninstalled Haali splitter and installed the Shark codec pack (using recommended settings). Again, can play mkvs on my main Media Center, but they don't play on either of my extenders. I tried multiple mkvs. Nobody else has this problem or a solution?
I use Haali splitter and DVD rips work fine on 360. BD rips <20mbps also work. You could try using LAV or the DIVx pack. Also you could try installing Shark007, follow AVS's Assassin's instructions.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:26 am

michaeljc70 wrote:I uninstalled Haali splitter and installed the Shark codec pack (using recommended settings). Again, can play mkvs on my main Media Center, but they don't play on either of my extenders. I tried multiple mkvs. Nobody else has this problem or a solution?
In the mkv tab of Shark, make sure to enable (uncheck) DivxMF - this needs to be enabled in order for this to work on extenders (now resultant playback is another matter...). If you're on w7 x64, make sure you do this in the x64 settings app.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:14 pm

grinchy wrote:
In the mkv tab of Shark, make sure to enable (uncheck) DivxMF - this needs to be enabled in order for this to work on extenders (now resultant playback is another matter...). If you're on w7 x64, make sure you do this in the x64 settings app.
You are onto something. When I did that, I got them to play. However, they were jacked up on my PC and only a couple of inches wide on the extenders (aspect ratio way off).

I switched from the default to the Haali splitter. They played okay on my PC. One had subtitles though that I couldn't figure out how to turn off (they aren't hard-coded and I have it set to show CC only when muted). The extenders still had the aspect ratio way off.

VictorTheGeek

Post by VictorTheGeek » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 pm

michaeljc70 wrote: You are onto something. When I did that, I got them to play. However, they were jacked up on my PC and only a couple of inches wide on the extenders (aspect ratio way off).

I switched from the default to the Haali splitter. They played okay on my PC. One had subtitles though that I couldn't figure out how to turn off (they aren't hard-coded and I have it set to show CC only when muted). The extenders still had the aspect ratio way off.
What program are you using?

Over the past week, I've been getting my computer ready to use a Ceton InfiniTV for cable tv (this is my first ever HTPC). So I thought it'd be cool to rip my movies and load 'em in MC. I used Auto Rip N Compress to do the process. The first couple times I ripped some movies, the subtitles were still there (even though I didn't click the checkbox for subtitles). If I'm remembering correctly, I installed mkvtoolnix and I didn't have anymore subtitles. You can get it at http://www.bunkus.org/blog. The mkvs would play on my PC and the Xbox, but I decided to go with compressed mp4s. The movies are DVDs (not BluRays), so the compressed quality doesn't bother me as much.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:45 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
grinchy wrote:
You are onto something. When I did that, I got them to play. However, they were jacked up on my PC and only a couple of inches wide on the extenders (aspect ratio way off).

As someone else mentioned, what player are you using? I use the base WMP and have no issues with Haali and with DivxMF enabled on both the PC and extenders. Regarding subtitles, you can disable them completely in the first shark007 config tab (x64 app if running from WMC). Or, modify the mkv subtitle header flag with mkvmerge to hide them completely... there's really several ways you can handle them - but I set my subtitle flags Default = yes only for forced subtitles I want to see.

How were the mkv's created? MakeMKV perhaps, or somesort of re-encode?