No Tuner Available, Tuner Not Connected, etc.

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rdb4133

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by rdb4133 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Thanks for the info foxwood. Hopefully it's something the devs can solve, but for the time being I'm sure all of us (including myself) prefer to have the option turned off entirely so that our Ceton tuners are working :)

aweber

Post by aweber » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:59 pm

"Interesting"...

I got a replacement infiniTV card a little over a week ago and it has been running very stable. No further problems.

This morning I decided to install MCEBuddy to take advantage of the auto-conversion stuff. The latest version apparently has uPNP disabled by default (possibly from the feedback), so I didn't do anything. A few hours later I have returned to the "No Tuner Available..." screen in the middle of watching LiveTV. :((

I disabled MCE Buddy and am restarting my PC. Will go without it for a while and see if everything is stable. Man, I hope that's all it is...I thought I was out of the woods on this thing...

-AJ

EDIT: Just to be clear, the option for uPNP should be UN-checked, right?

swest6602

Post by swest6602 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:41 pm

Hey all,

I seem to be having this issue as well. Foxwood and a couple others may recognize my username from another thread and know that I recently reinstalled Windows 7 due to a bandwidth usage issue I was having (turned out to be totally unrelated to my HTPC and Ceton tuner, but thanks again for the help!). Anyway just as I found the solution to that problem, this issue pops up. Because I am coming from a clean Win 7 install I am pretty clear on what is new to the HTPC since the issue began. I had a few Windows updates and I started adding back some software. One of the new programs added--- wait for it--- Yup... MCEBuddy. I had been running a couple of scripts to rename and re-encode my recordings, but thought I'd give MCEBuddy another try since lots of folks seemed to be having success with it. I have just turned off MCEBuddy and will run without it for a bit. From reading this thread it certainly sounds as though everyone losing tuner access is also running MCEBuddy. Will post again later if the problem seems to be resolved at my end. Hope so.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 pm

aweber wrote:EDIT: Just to be clear, the option for uPNP should be UN-checked, right?
The text in my copy of MCEBuddy says that you check the box to enable UPnP, so unchecking it should disable it.

I don't have MCEBuddy installed on my HTPC, I was running it on my desktop, so I can't do any debugging for you (I'm definitely not going to install it on my media center PC until you guys figure it out! :D )

rdb4133

Post by rdb4133 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:50 pm

swest6602 wrote:Hey all,

I seem to be having this issue as well. Foxwood and a couple others may recognize my username from another thread and know that I recently reinstalled Windows 7 due to a bandwidth usage issue I was having (turned out to be totally unrelated to my HTPC and Ceton tuner, but thanks again for the help!). Anyway just as I found the solution to that problem, this issue pops up. Because I am coming from a clean Win 7 install I am pretty clear on what is new to the HTPC since the issue began. I had a few Windows updates and I started adding back some software. One of the new programs added--- wait for it--- Yup... MCEBuddy. I had been running a couple of scripts to rename and re-encode my recordings, but thought I'd give MCEBuddy another try since lots of folks seemed to be having success with it. I have just turned off MCEBuddy and will run without it for a bit. From reading this thread it certainly sounds as though everyone losing tuner access is also running MCEBuddy. Will post again later if the problem seems to be resolved at my end. Hope so.
Make sure the UPnP option is un-checked and hopefully that will work for you! :)

swest6602

Post by swest6602 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:49 pm

rdb4133 wrote:Make sure the UPnP option is un-checked and hopefully that will work for you! :)
Thanks. I will be watching this thread to see if that works for everyone, but personally I have removed MCEBuddy all together. I am not concerned about the commercial cutting features and have another solution (less automated) for renaming and conversion. If anyone is interested I use WTV MetaRenamer in combination with a couple .bat scripts to rename, move and convert .wtv files to 720p MP4 files. It does involve about 5 minutes of effort on my part each day, but it is reliable and you can convert to any setting Handbrake can handle. I am more than happy to share the code for the scripts and and my tweaks for WTV MetaRenamer (if anyone is interested PM and I will start a thread. I don't want to hijack this one).

rdb4133

Post by rdb4133 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:55 pm

I have gone 6+ days so far since disabling the UPnP option in MCEBuddy without a tuner not found error. So I think that was the issue in my case at least. Hopefully it will be the same for everyone else!

MCEBuddy is really great for cutting out commercials and compressing your shows in an easy and automated manner.
swest6602 wrote:
rdb4133 wrote:Make sure the UPnP option is un-checked and hopefully that will work for you! :)
Thanks. I will be watching this thread to see if that works for everyone, but personally I have removed MCEBuddy all together. I am not concerned about the commercial cutting features and have another solution (less automated) for renaming and conversion. If anyone is interested I use WTV MetaRenamer in combination with a couple .bat scripts to rename, move and convert .wtv files to 720p MP4 files. It does involve about 5 minutes of effort on my part each day, but it is reliable and you can convert to any setting Handbrake can handle. I am more than happy to share the code for the scripts and and my tweaks for WTV MetaRenamer (if anyone is interested PM and I will start a thread. I don't want to hijack this one).

swest6602

Post by swest6602 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:16 pm

rdb4133 wrote:I have gone 6+ days so far since disabling the UPnP option in MCEBuddy without a tuner not found error. So I think that was the issue in my case at least. Hopefully it will be the same for everyone else!
MCEBuddy is really great for cutting out commercials and compressing your shows in an easy and automated manner.
I decided to give MCEBuddy another shot. I reinstalled and with UPnP disabled (set as disabled by default in 2.3.4) things seem to be working fine. Thanks for the 'push'.

rdb4133

Post by rdb4133 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:46 pm

swest6602 wrote:I decided to give MCEBuddy another shot. I reinstalled and with UPnP disabled (set as disabled by default in 2.3.4) things seem to be working fine. Thanks for the 'push'.
Glad to hear it's working for you so far! Hopefully it will continue to work! :)

chrisem0

Post by chrisem0 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi. Many many many many thnsk yous. I thought I was alone!!!! I hv had no issues with ceton.up until late sept early oct. the all of a sudden no tuners found... Viewing/listening conflict... With no changes to HW or SW.
I hv RMA'd my infinitv4 replaced the cable card, and had the cable company come out a d rerun the cable to the street.
I hv just turned off the UPNP from MCEBuddy (which I love)... But I am wits end and was about to hv to go get a cable box.
Thank you all for your inputs and detail.
I really appreciate it and Willet u know if it fixes my similar problem of consistent failed recordings.

xcetera

Post by xcetera » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I am grateful for having discovered this thread. I just unchecked "UPnP" from MCEBuddy, keeping my fingers crossed.

coolviper777

Post by coolviper777 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 am

I've had multiple issues with the Ceton InfinitTV pci-e tuner. Weak TV Signal happens ALL the time. Typically 30 minutes into a show. Its usually cured by switching the channel. Unless your recording, then its toast. You have to stop the recording, change channel, then go back.

Ceton support is absolutely useless. And clueless.

They want to blame everything on anything but their substandard product.

They feel that somehow the VMWare Player software I have installed is causing issues, even though I unchecked those filters from the network properties. Also, they feel that because the machine is joined to a domain, that's causing issue also.

Of course, the fact that I uninstalled VMWare, and nothing has changed doesn't seem to make any difference to them.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:34 pm

coolviper777 wrote:I've had multiple issues with the Ceton InfinitTV pci-e tuner. Weak TV Signal happens ALL the time. Typically 30 minutes into a show. Its usually cured by switching the channel. Unless your recording, then its toast. You have to stop the recording, change channel, then go back.

Ceton support is absolutely useless. And clueless.

They want to blame everything on anything but their substandard product.

They feel that somehow the VMWare Player software I have installed is causing issues, even though I unchecked those filters from the network properties. Also, they feel that because the machine is joined to a domain, that's causing issue also.

Of course, the fact that I uninstalled VMWare, and nothing has changed doesn't seem to make any difference to them.
Please send me your ticket number - I would like to look into this.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

videorat

Post by videorat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 am

I'm not sure what's happening with this thread since it seems to stop in 11/12 and we are now in 1/13. In any case I have a fairly new (8 months) system connected as an HTPC with Windows 7 and running WMC. There's not much software on this machine since it's only duty is to serve video to our TV in the family room. I have the Ceton InfiniTV 4 pcie and have had the same symptoms as in this thread. It started around the same time this thread started back in October. I first noticed it when there had been an automatic Windows update during the night, making me believe that the problem was with Windows.

I have done a lot of tests for the company that built the PC and none of them have resolved the problem. Whenever I would reboot I would lose my tuners. WMC would give the message, "Viewing or Listening Conflict" and on a second line, "No tuner available to satisfy the current request". I eventually exhausted their ability/willingness to troubleshoot this problem and moved on.

Ultimately I found that unloading Norton Virus would resolve the problem. I turned on the Windows Firewall and loaded Microsoft Essentials security and ran that way for a while. Yesterday I loaded Kaspersky Virus. Today I tried rebooting the PC and the problem returned. I got the same error statements as above. Eventually I removed Kaspersky and reloaded the Microsoft virus programs and the problem went away but I'm not satisfied that they are robust enough to provide good protection.

I have loaded TCPView as suggested in this thread and found about 500 endpoints, give or take as they opened and closed. I am not running WMCBuddy. It sounds like a great program but I guess I shouldn't mess with it. At least not right now.

I would like to run a better virus program but, since I have tried two of the higher rated ones, I don't think that is going to work. Does this make sense to anyone out there? I would like to sort this out. Thanks for any help.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:52 am

This one probably got solved back in November. Probably the best thing for you to do is:

Open up Ceton InfiniTV Diagnostic Tool, Click on the Diagnose tab, fill in the blanks, then click Collect and Save. Next open a support ticket and upload the file you just collected and saved with the Diagnostic Tool. Start a new thread and post the ticket number, along with a description of your symptoms.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:04 am

videorat wrote: I would like to run a better virus program but, since I have tried two of the higher rated ones.
Higher rated by who?

I think you've demonstrated the well known adage that applies to anything from Symantec - the cure is worse than the disease!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:09 am

Crash2009 wrote:Open up Ceton InfiniTV Diagnostic Tool, Click on the Diagnose tab, fill in the blanks, then click Collect and Save. Next open a support ticket and upload the file you just collected and saved with the Diagnostic Tool. Start a new thread and post the ticket number, along with a description of your symptoms.
He's already diagnosed the problem.

http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... y-detected
If you do determine that your antivirus program is preventing the computer from properly detecting your CableCARD, you will want to contact your antivirus manufacturer for additional support.

videorat

Post by videorat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 pm

Hey Foxwood. Thanks for the replies. Point well taken about Symantec. I have certainly been down that road. It is "free" from Comcast. I guess you get what you pay for. Actually, I'm open to any antivirus that works with my HTPC and provides reasonable protection. I'm quite willing to pay for it too. I don't mean to change the topic of the thread. I would just like to get this problem fixed. WAF is beginning to get a little threadbare.

Thanks for any advice.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:28 pm

The consistent advice from users of this forum is that Microsoft Security Essentials does the job nicely.

It's very widely used, and I haven't seen anything to indicate that users of MSE have more problems with Viruses than users of other AV products. I have read articles that say that MSE doesn't detect as many "fresh" viruses in the lab as some of the more aggressive products. The flip side is that there is no evidence that these "fresh", newly discovered variants are more likely to infect you than the older variants, in fact, they are only "fresh" while they are rare.

videorat

Post by videorat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:45 pm

Thanks again, Foxwood. That makes sense to me. I ran for a little over a month with the Win7 firewall and MSE with no problems. All we ever do other than watch TV and other video's is to occasionally look up a movie on IMDB. Sometimes we stream Netflix. So, I'll go with that. Thank you very much for your help.