Xbox 360 bitstream DD / DTS?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by newfiend » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:55 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:That's what I do - run HDMI to the TV and optical to the receiver. Works great for DD 5.1, haven't tried DTS.
As do I. But my TV and AVR in my bedrrom are older and do not support ARC. His AVR is newer and supports ARC and it should (in theory) be getting DD through HDMI to the AVR. If It doesn't work deffinately try adding an optical cable.
EDIT: From looking at the user manual for the TV you listed I don't see any mention of ARC for the TV, Only the AVR. W/O the TV supporting this ARC will not work. I would suggest you do as you mentioned earlier and run an Optical off the XboX to the AVR that should get things working for you if HDMI isn't getting the DD signal to the AVR.
newfiend~

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:22 am

newfiend wrote:I checked the AVR it does support ARC.
For clarification you are hooking XBOX via HDMI to AVR Input and another HDMI output (off AVR) to the TV? correct?
Correct
newfiend wrote:Since the AVR would be UPSTREAM in this situation (audio and video signal sent to AVR first) you shouldn't need optical. The AVR should be getting the Dolby Signal through HDMI, decoding that for your speakers, and then passing the video signal off to the TV. (no Optical needed in theory)
If you had a cheaper AVR (like me with only one HDMI out) then you would have to use an optical out.
There is only one HDMI monitor out on back of AVR to the TV.
newfiend wrote:If you are hooked up HDMI from XBOX > AVR > TV then you should get the Dolby Signal on the HDMI cable.
My Living room set up is HTPC > Sony AVR STR-DN1000 > Sony TV and I get all my Dolby signals sent to my AVR via HDMI and Decoded there and Video Passes to the TV via HDMI.
Since its all sent "upstream" (HTPC or XBOX > AVR > TV) there is no need for ARC or optical in this situation.
How are you hooking things up? is this a XBOX Slim or the Older XBOX?
newfiend~
Its not an XBOX Slim no but it does have an HDMI port on the back of the XBOX which is what we are using.

I will try an optical cable on my friends XBOX at some point.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am

I also don't seem to be getting Dolby Digital on my own XBOX 360 Slim and much older Sherwood AVR (None HDMI)

My own XBOX is just currently setup using Component (Video & Audio) connection direct to TV and then the Optical out on the back of the TV goes to Optical 2 input on the AVR. So I get sound from the XBOX coming out of the AVR / front speakers of the 5.1, But I was just getting Dolby Pro Logic lighting up on the AVR while playing a game last night and not Dolby Digital.

Maybe for my own setup I need to run an optical audio cable direct from the back of the XBOX to the AVR and not via the TV etc as it is at the moment.

EDIT:

Well that works on my own setup, connected the XBOX directly to Optical 2 input on AVR with an Optical cable and now when playing Red Dead Redemption the Sherwood AVR lights up Red with Dolby Digital !

So I just need to get my friends XBOX / Sony AVR working, I really thought it should have just worked with a single HDMI cable on his setup.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 am

Stuart, yes thats right. Your component video setup was only sending stereo to the amp, not DD/DTS.

I still haven't seen any proof that the Xbox can pipe DD/DTS through HDMI, unless I have missed something?!
Rich

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:51 am

Got a new problem now on my mates setup he says on Sky HD channels he gets sound but no picture. Initial we had no picture from Sky on SD channels when going through the AVR and on the Sky box we had to change a HD Output setting from 1080i to Automatic the SD channels then work but I guess we can't have checked the HD channels at that time.

I've just got him to change this setting again from Automatic to 720P and now he can see a picture on the TV for both SD and HD Sky channels.

But I'm wondering why he can't see the picture when the setting on the Sky box is set to 1080i. I've never had Sky so don't know much about their STB.
Last edited by cw-kid on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:57 am

StumpyBloke wrote:Stuart, yes thats right. Your component video setup was only sending stereo to the amp, not DD/DTS.

I still haven't seen any proof that the Xbox can pipe DD/DTS through HDMI, unless I have missed something?!
Thanks

I've told my friend to order himself two Optical cables one for his XBOX and another for his Sky TV box as apparently you need optical for that as well if you want Dolby Digital out of it.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:02 pm

StumpyBloke wrote:Stuart, yes thats right. Your component video setup was only sending stereo to the amp, not DD/DTS.

I thought this was strange as well. Since HDMI is supposed to carry digital audio you would think it would at least carry the DD signal..as well as DTS etc.. On the Xbox settings page for audio it says you can use HDMI for Digital Audio.. Must be a bug somewhere or something were missing if it's "supposed to work". At any rate an optical cable should do the trick.

Sent from my WP7 using Board Express

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:12 pm

newfiend wrote:

I thought this was strange as well. Since HDMI is supposed to carry digital audio you would think it would at least carry the DD signal..as well as DTS etc.. On the Xbox settings page for audio it says you can use HDMI for Digital Audio.. Must be a bug somewhere or something were missing if it's "supposed to work". At any rate an optical cable should do the trick.

Not too bothered as long as it works for him. Using optical for audio on my own Xbox this morning has certainly got Dolby digital working on my acient AVR. So will get my friend to use optical as well.

Sky doesn't seem to work with his Sony AVR when the HD output on the Sky box is 1080i.
SD and HD channels only seem to both display a picture on the TV when he sets the Sky HD output to 720p.
Using an HDMI cable from Sky STB to AVR.

Thanks for the help so far!
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 pm

Anytime Stuart. :D

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:51 pm

cw-kid wrote:

Thanks

I've told my friend to order himself two Optical cables one for his XBOX and another for his Sky TV box as apparently you need optical for that as well if you want Dolby Digital out of it.
Bizarrely Sky doesn't support DD through HDMI!! Backwards company!! :)
Rich

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:11 pm

I've got a problem similar to what has been discussed here. My Blu-ray player(Toshiba BDX2150) is connected to my TV via HDMI and then I have an SPDIF connection from the TV to my receiver(Kenwood VR-407). Playing a disc with DTS or DD works just fine using this method and lights up the appropriate audio type. When I switch to the xbox 360 using the same DVD, also connected via HDMI, all I'm getting is stereo. I've downloaded the optional media update, and verified that I'm signed in when playing the DVD. No joy. Any ideas?

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:42 pm

I think there may have been an update between now and then, I am only using an HDMI cable, 360>AVR>Tv and SS works just fine. Perhaps there is/was an EDID issue as well.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 am

Skybolt wrote:360>AVR>Tv
is not the same as
dotbatman wrote:My Blu-ray player(Toshiba BDX2150) is connected to my TV via HDMI and then I have an SPDIF connection from the TV to my receiver(Kenwood VR-407)

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 am

dotbatman wrote:My Blu-ray player(Toshiba BDX2150) is connected to my TV via HDMI and then I have an SPDIF connection from the TV to my receiver(Kenwood VR-407). Playing a disc with DTS or DD works just fine using this method and lights up the appropriate audio type.
What TV are you using?

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Dynex DX-55L150A11 set to output RAW (not PCM).

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 am

I'm not an Xbox expert, so please forgive me. Does the Xbox only output audio formats that are listed as supported in the EDID? If so, I suspect the issue is with the TV's EDID not listing DD and DTS as supported formats, thus the Xbox is sending PCM.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:13 am

foxwood wrote:
Skybolt wrote:360>AVR>Tv
is not the same as
dotbatman wrote:My Blu-ray player(Toshiba BDX2150) is connected to my TV via HDMI and then I have an SPDIF connection from the TV to my receiver(Kenwood VR-407)
Agreed, I was referanceing how my setup is working fine with only an HDMI cable. The very first post talks about this not working. Just thought I would point out that it does work and maybe something else is/was going on. Even though it was months ago. Sharp LC-7-LE847U with Onkyo TX-NR818 and a 4GB Slim working fine.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:23 am

richard1980 wrote:I'm not an Xbox expert, so please forgive me. Does the Xbox only output audio formats that are listed as supported in the EDID? If so, I suspect the issue is with the TV's EDID not listing DD and DTS as supported formats, thus the Xbox is sending PCM.
Excelant point. I have had issues with EDID and the 360 as well.

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:20 am

You were right on richard1980. After I disabled display detection on my xbox 360, I was able to have my selections in the digital audio menu actually take effect. Thanks!