Struggling WAF

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Sleerts

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sleerts » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 pm

I thought it was low as well, but I verified that I'm using the latest driver AMD Radeon HD 7660D version 9.12.0.0
Keep in mind, that's integrated graphics and not a separate card.
HTPC Noob....Learning tho

Sleerts

Post by Sleerts » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:24 pm

I could give the beta driver a shot as I'm seeing they've made some performance improvements when it comes to gaming...
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pa ... Notes.aspx

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Sometimes the "latest" isn't necesarily the "greatest". I was thinking more along the lines of going back in time to find a driver for your hardware that works best with your O/S. My favorite is to remove the driver, then let windows update figure it out. This usually gives me a starting point. Then try drivers slightly newer or older than whatever windows update decides you should use. I don't have any direct experience working with the hardware you have, but, this is where I would start. I would think your WEI graphic score should be through the roof with the HD 7660D. My low-ly HD 6770 scores 7.4 in each category.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Crash2009 wrote: I would think your WEI graphic score should be through the roof with the HD 7660D. My low-ly HD 6770 scores 7.4 in each category.
It's unlikely that his WEI scores have much relevance - you can get decent playback with much lower WEI scores than that.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:33 pm

foxwood wrote:It's unlikely that his WEI scores have much relevance - you can get decent playback with much lower WEI scores than that.
True, but couldn't a different driver cause the hardware to show a higher/lower score in WEI? and isn't WEI a measurement of how well (or not) the hardware is working together?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:58 pm

The driver could affect the WEI, but he's already past the threshold of what is considered acceptable. I can't figure out why you guys are talking about WEI scores in the first place. What do WEI scores have to do with "Service is unavailable"?

Sleerts

Post by Sleerts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:46 pm

Special thanks to Motz, and to everyone else that assisted.

Previous to the wipe and re-install of windows I was having some performance issues in the gaming sector, however I thought it had something to do with my config and didn't even bother to check the WEI. After Motz asked to check the WEI and I noticed/Crash2009 pointed out the low score, I began looking further into it. I'm a bit embarrassed about it, but you'll need to cut me some slack between not building a custom computer in six years combined with crappy mobo documentation.

As it turns out, I'd installed the memory incorrectly, and it was in single channel mode rather than dual channel mode. On any other normal PC it wouldn't be that big of a deal except thats what the GPU uses. This was just enough to cause the error in WMC and also to lower my WEI scores of course. After moving the memory stick all last night I was able to watch TV after multiple reboots.
Last edited by Sleerts on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:29 pm

Do you mean that the memory wasn't installed properly in the slots, in paired fashion?

Yeah, that it took you only this long to track *that* one down is a miracle!

Sleerts

Post by Sleerts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:19 pm

adam1991 wrote:Do you mean that the memory wasn't installed properly in the slots, in paired fashion?

Yeah, that it took you only this long to track *that* one down is a miracle!
Yes. I know; sometimes it just takes alittle help from someone to point out something you're not looking at in order to see it. I'm just surprised that WMC is so touchy that this "minor" misconfig would make it not function, not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 pm

Motz actually suggested WEI, all I did was comment that the scores looked low. Your Welcome for whatever way I assisted. Admittedly, my suspicion was the driver. Great job on figuring out the ram.

Sleerts

Post by Sleerts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:35 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Motz actually suggested WEI, all I did was comment that the scores looked low. Your Welcome for whatever way I assisted. Admittedly, my suspicion was the driver. Great job on figuring out the ram.
Thanks for the correction. Edited to give credit where credit is due. Sorry Motz, Thank you :)

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:46 pm

Yay! Glad it is working. I have done that in the past with the ram, i think this happens to everyone.

Now all I expect you to do is download my media center apps on all your devices, give my 5 star reviews in all the app stores, and tweet and tell all your friends. :)

Just kidding, enjoy your new awesome HTPC and welcome to this community of amazing people :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sleerts

Post by Sleerts » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Already downloaded my media center on all my devices and just about to review it ;)

Thanks Everyone