Why is HW 6408 Firmware not offered in "beta" for some cards

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
ArtieMcD

HTPC Specs: Show details

Why is HW 6408 Firmware not offered in "beta" for some cards

Post by ArtieMcD » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 pm

I presume the 6408 version is the latest public beta HW firmware.... Is there a reason the Ceton Diagnostics tool is not offering this update for some PCIe cards and not others? IE, I have 3 tuners (2 PCIe and 1 USB).... One of the PCIe cards was offered 6408, the usb one was offered 6409... But one of the PCIe cards is only being offered 6212.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:10 pm

What is the "age" difference between the two PCI cards? I inquired about this same question with Ceton, when I pointed out another user had the "newer" version of the hardware number being shown, and here is their reply:

"The macroblocking that particular customer was experiencing was likely for copy-once channels only. The most recent beta hardware update resolved that issue for him -- and as you're running the most recent beta hardware image for your particular board (both you and this other customer have different boards -- so each of you have a different beta hardware version), should have resolved the issue for you as well if you were experiencing the same issue. Unfortunately, your problem appears to be recurring on copy-freely channels."

So, it sounds like it depends on what kind of board is physically inside your Ceton card, which will determine which HW version will be allowed to load onto your card. Hope that helps.

rv65

Post by rv65 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm

My card (PCIe) is at 6210 and no beta HW is being offered for that card.

ArtieMcD

Post by ArtieMcD » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:37 am

jziggity wrote: So, it sounds like it depends on what kind of board is physically inside your Ceton card, which will determine which HW version will be allowed to load onto your card. Hope that helps.
Hmm... ok makes sense. I did notice slight differences on the board between the two cards last time I had them sitting side by side. Would be interesting to know what all the different "versions" there are.... Especially since I've now had my first board RMAed 3 times... and the second board is being RMAed as we speak... It would be nice to know the replacements are at least the improved ones.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:46 am

Its awfully unusual that you'd have top rma 3 boards... My one has been rock solid... Without knowing any other details... Could there be a problem with your board?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

ArtieMcD

Post by ArtieMcD » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:37 am

makryger wrote:Its awfully unusual that you'd have top rma 3 boards... My one has been rock solid... Without knowing any other details... Could there be a problem with your board?
Well I hope for Ceton's sake that my situation is unusual.. But yes.. so far two PCIe boards bought.. Both RMAed. The first board was DOA for it's first RMA.... Something showed up in the logs when setting up the card for the second RMA (don't remember why but it was Ceton's support requesting the RMA). And the third RMA (and first for the second card) was because the firmware update to 1.2.2.6 failed on both cards. From the other threads here, seems like the firmware update issue requring an RMA is actually a common thing sadly.