Windows RT and 8 app won't find my two media centers

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
scyto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows RT and 8 app won't find my two media centers

Post by scyto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:03 am

I have My Media Center on iPad, Windows 8 and RT.

The iPad app finds both media centers. The Windows 8 app finds a non existent machine. The Windows RT app finds nothing.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 am

It is possible based on the different network cards that UDP broadcast might not be possible. Microsoft has TONS of open tickets with developers about this. Go ahead and do a manual entery.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:34 pm

yes a direct connection worked just fine.
What's the issue here, is it win8 RT specific - is there an MS bug number you can point me to?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:13 pm

I do not beleive it is WinRT specific. I think it is just a bunch of different NICs. I found it on the developer forums. Apparently it is a larger issue with Broadcom chips (in Acer WinRT tablets)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Interesting, though the surface RT doesn't have a Broadcom chip - it has a Marvell AVASTAR chip and the Nokia 920 Windows Phone 8 which is seeing a phantom MMC (and not the 2 real ones) has a TI chipset.... so.... are we sure this is a UDP Broadcom issue on the sending side?

Is this the same issue perhaps? http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 2c8a5eecb0

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:34 pm

My surface does wifi scan just fine. You can actually see my comments in that thread :) He actually goes on to point to this thread:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... b02d9b6b1/

Jeff Sanders goes on to talk about:
The issue you are experiencing is because the Acer Windows RT device you have is using a Broadcom network driver that is incorrectly dealing with these UDP Multicast messages. We have contacted Broadcom and hope to have a resolution that will be pushed via Windows Update as soon as possible (I have no dates for you unfortunately).

Now I have seen a few odd things happen with different chips and different wireless routers and even different NICs on different HTPCs. Hard to say exactly why this happens and this is why we have the manually add feature :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet