Version 2013.116.1545

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Embiggens

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Embiggens » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:21 pm

Where is everyone at on 1080i channels? On HGTV for example, I see definite de-interlacing artifacts, especially on rapid motion. Is everyone else seeing this? It's not bad, but it's there. I recently 'upgraded' to a bigger, cheaper tv though, so I'm wondering if some of it is related to that. Nice update in general, though.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:46 pm

At this point I am not sure if my audio issues are EDID related or are 1080i related. In native mode the 1080i channels seem to be the ones giving fits with audio.. I think..

JAS

Post by JAS » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:49 pm

What bit depth (color depth) is this firmware using in 720p mode?

The grainy look and horrible shading we are seeing is likely because of a low bit depth correct? Almost looks to me like 16-Bit high color or less even. I don't know but last stable firmware looked closer to this picture but it is 8-bit: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... /8_bit.png (Need to zoom in)
This firmware looks better certainly but still harsh in dark areas.

Is the echo capable of PC matching 32-bit True color or even 24-bit?

The effect may be less noticable in 1080p and perhaps feeding into an AVR with upsampling and or TV with upsampling, but if your going to a AVR and TV (72" DLP) that doesn't do upsampling, etc, the video quality is far from an HTPC.

I don't know, just asking questions to hopefully maybe spark something that will help Ceton bring a great picture to the Echo.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 am

IDK, I'm not on this f/w any longer. My picture looks great and I turned the i/p scaler off last night and really saw no difference.

JAS

Post by JAS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:00 am

Sammy2 wrote:IDK, I'm not on this f/w any longer. My picture looks great and I turned the i/p scaler off last night and really saw no difference.
Set your Echo to 720p. You have a 40" LCD Samsung correct? How far are you, if I'm 12 ft away from a 72" and you are 12 ft away from a 40", ofcourse yours will look awesome.
My 72" inch looks good at 20ft+ also. Heck, in 480p at 30ft it looks good. :lol: That's NOT the point.

Perhaps 1080p is vastly different in the way things are done. But until Echo supports 1080i, I won't know anything except 720p

Look closely, the point here is, the picture quality of the echo is no where near even a cheap atom based HTPC.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Repeating my posts (5243 and 5246) from avsforum:
I got the 2013.122.1356 omega f/w on Wednesday night. I did several power cycles then with no error. I shut down the system Wednesday night and brought it up Thursday morning with no issues. Shut it down for the day and then brought it up last night and then did the same overnight last night into this morning with no issues either time.

HBO is known to have the 29/59 problem is some markets. Are you sure it isn't that? A month or more ago I was getting Starz for some reason even though I don't subscribe to it. It has the 29/59 bug on my HTPC but, even then, it looked pretty good on the echo with the strobe effect not apparent at all.

I have even turned the i/p scaler off on my Denon. Either way the picture is very good and the audio is as well.
It was on this whole time. I have not shut it off since Wednesday night when I was testing HBR/VBR mkv's, m2ts's and wtv's and it locked up as expected.. but I had to test!

I just watched a segment of Universal, a 1080i channel for me. I hit record and switched back and forth between my HTPC and echo HDMI inputs rewinding segments. I did notice some minor pixelation but I noticed it both on the HTPC and the echo. The picture I am getting is basically the same as that produced by the HTPC. I was standing about 3 feet from the TV. When I backed up to the couch it was basically not noticeable at all although when looking for it I could see it. This may be the signal compression or my Prime or who knows what but on both it is the same picture.
I am not sure why I should set my echo to 720p when native is working so well.