Copy Protection Issues on Xbox 360

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
jagrime2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy Protection Issues on Xbox 360

Post by jagrime2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 pm

I just added a Cablecard Tuner to my setup and unfortunately I have run into "Copying Prohibited" errors when trying to watch live and recorded DRM protected shows through my xbox. I have tried both wireless and wired connections and can't seem to get this figured out. I don't have a clue if there is anyway around this but it is discouraging when my wife is looking to watch a show and an error pops up saving it isn't watchable on this device.

I haven't seen anything posted about similar problems. Wondering if there is any potential solution.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Who is your cable provider, and what channels are you seeing this on? Does the content play properly on the PC?

The whole point of using an XBox as a Media Center Extender is to "extend" your PC, which has permission to view the content, to the extender.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:34 pm

I set up the tuner a few weeks back but was only not able to watch premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc...) live or recorded. I knew I had an issue but wasn't a big deal, until trying to watch the Yankee/Orioles game on TBS and it also was protected.

I think the issue is the xbox may need to be resetup??? I will try over the weekend and see if I can get it working. Hoping that is all it is.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:53 am

Are you saying you couldn't watch protected content on the PC from the beginning? If you are unable to watch protected content on the PC, you won't be able to watch protected content on the extender. You'll need to address the issue with the PC first, then the extender should work.

Did you go through the PlayReady update on the PC?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:57 am

My first thought is that you're *also* not able to watch that same programming directly on/from your HTPC. Have you tried?

There's another discussion here today about "copy never" programs, stuff that isn't allowed to be recorded (or if it's recorded, it's not allowed to be viewed anywhere). The specific discussion concerns--surprise surprise--a particular sports channel.

There's DRM, and then there's DRM. "Copy never" stuff can be watched live, but that's it.

If the "can't watch" matches up between your HTPC and the extender, it's not the extender. And likely, for all the reasons foxwood outlined, it's *not* the extender. Media Center is very good with XBox extenders, which are merely special instances of remote sessions on the HTPC. Technically, the XBox is simply playing the streaming audio/video of what's being decoded and played inside the HTPC. So if it can't be shown on the extender, that means by definition it doesn't have the rights to be played on the HTPC.

So check playback on the HTPC.

What cableCARD tuner do you have?

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:48 pm

If it won't playback on either the PC or the Xbox, there's two common possibilities - the Cablecard is not correctly paired, or the PC has 3rd party codecs installed that won't work with PlayReady in WMC. Or PlayReady needs an update as richard said, but that's not as common as the first two.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm

I got 1 of 2 xboxes to work properly with the copy protected material. I re-installed them both and got one to work the other still does not (have moved the other to my basement tv until I have time for further investigation). I was thinking about picking up a new Ceton extender to replace the xbox so this may help convince the wife that it is $$$ well spent.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:49 pm

just updating this post to verify the solution ....

To get the protected content to play I had to delete my user profiles from the HTPC for all my extenders and repaired them-- haven't had a problem since.

M3wThr33

Post by M3wThr33 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:41 am

Chiming in to say this worked for me. Uninstalling through Media Center wasn't enough. I had to physically delete the Mtxpc folders from C:\Users\
Edit:
Nevermind. I still have this issue, too. Can't seem to fix it.

Edit2:
Ran into some bandwidth issue with the WMDRM-ND, error 701. I gave up.
I returned my cable card and tuning adapter (Which kept crashing anyway) and cancelled my cable TV and signed up for Hulu. I'm done fighting this war. Time Warner Cable can't stock quality parts. It's laughably expensive compared to online alternatives. And I don't have to fight DRM all day anymore.