Second Echo Won't Connect

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
cnb3

HTPC Specs: Show details

Second Echo Won't Connect

Post by cnb3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:35 pm

I have one Echo up and running great with my Media Center. Bought a second one and it can't connect. I put in the code, it runs through the check boxes on the left configuring it, and then stalls out on the last one where it tries to connect.

After 3 minutes, it times out and suggests there's a problem with my firewall (McAfee). I re-checked the firewall and it seems okay--which is supported by the fact that the other Echo's working. Tried turning off the firewall briefly, too, but no joy.

Netgear router, dhcp is working, it's getting an IP address, and it's pingable.

Help! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chuck

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Is your PC joined to a domain? I'd also recommend looking through the event logs
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Thanks for the response!

it's just part of my internal network, so no domain. I did check the event logs and they only show the normal setup and connection failure, but I did'n't see anything unusual. I was looking under Media Center, though. On Win 7 it seems to be organized by subject. Any thoughts on where else I should look?

nick

Post by nick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:33 am

cnb3 wrote:Thanks for the response!

it's just part of my internal network, so no domain. I did check the event logs and they only show the normal setup and connection failure, but I did'n't see anything unusual. I was looking under Media Center, though. On Win 7 it seems to be organized by subject. Any thoughts on where else I should look?

Is the router by any chance a WNDR3700?

http://www.cetoncorp.com/forums/showthr ... uot-screen

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:43 am

No, it's a Netgear 6300.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:16 am

cnb3 wrote:I have one Echo up and running great with my Media Center. Bought a second one and it can't connect. I put in the code, it runs through the check boxes on the left configuring it, and then stalls out on the last one where it tries to connect.

After 3 minutes, it times out and suggests there's a problem with my firewall (McAfee). I re-checked the firewall and it seems okay--which is supported by the fact that the other Echo's working. Tried turning off the firewall briefly, too, but no joy.

Netgear router, dhcp is working, it's getting an IP address, and it's pingable.

Help! Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chuck
Have you tried......Make sure the other Echo is off when you setup the second one.

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:47 am

Actually, no, hadn't thought of that. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks!

Chuck

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:35 pm

Alas, this didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

warpster

Post by warpster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Have you tried the Echo that won't connect using the connection (network cable/connection) that the working one is using? In other words connect the non working one where the working on is and see if it will connect there.That way you would narrow it down to the Echo or the connection...

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:13 am

Thanks for responding!

I did try this, and the results were the same.

One interesting thing I noticed while poking around is that there's an Event that says a window that's incompatible with MCE attempted to open and was denied. The path to the Windows's executable was mcagent.exe, which is part of McAfee's firewall. I read up on it a little and MS just flat out says that McAfee is 't compatible with MCE. McAfee's site has some complaints but no resolution.

The bad news is, turning McAfee's firewall off will not fix the problem, it must be removed.

The really bad news is, once I removed it, any attempt to add an extender now crashes Media Center, along with several other services, and finally pops up a dialog saying Ceton Otay.exe stopped working.

I ran the repair option for the Ceton programs, but have 't figured out how to do a repair on Media Center yet. Any help appreciated.

warpster

Post by warpster » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 am

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:33 pm

cnb3 wrote:I ran the repair option for the Ceton programs, but have 't figured out how to do a repair on Media Center yet. Any help appreciated.
Been there saw the movie. For me it was the beginning of the end. I ended up installing a fresh Win 7. One thing I tried first was to go into Start/Windows Features/media features/WMC/Turn WMC off, boot, and turn it back on again, and boot. That might freshen up the WMC files.

If you chewed up Win7's Files, look into something called scannow. Depending on how bad things are chewed up, scannow might be able to help you.

One thing that I neglected to do, the first couple times was to make an image of my C drive. Then it doesn't matter how bad you chew it up, you can always go back to zero.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:54 pm

equally you can completely remove Media Center from control panel - programs - windows programs and then reboot and re-ebable

sfc /scannow was the command to check the windows files. unfortunately if you use the rdp concurrent user sesssions patch this is also detected as a problem and it won't pass the test until the patch is removed. or it will remove the patch if you ask it to repair

cnb3

Post by cnb3 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Okay, good to know. I'll try turning WMC off and rebooting first, if that doesn't work, do the reinstall the way you describe. I'll save scannow for last, I guess.

Any thoughts on the best way to image a drive in case I need to do a reinstall at some point in the future?

Thanks Crash and bob--

Chuck

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:09 pm

just use the built in backup. it can image disks too