2 all-in-one remote control options I'm looking for

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
chuchi78

HTPC Specs: Show details

2 all-in-one remote control options I'm looking for

Post by chuchi78 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Hi all. I've been using WMC for the last couple of years and, considering how long it's been out, am still baffled by the lack of a decent all-in-one remote solution. I've got a Dinovo, a Lenovo N5902, and several WMC remotes, but none of them shape up. I'm looking fro something that works as a remote (with dedicated, physical buttons that I can operate by feel, without looking at it, much like a tv remote), along with a keyboard and mouse (with a BACKLIT keyboard) in a single package. Thanks to GoogleTV, there are some options in the works that seem interesting, but I'd like to know if any of you have purchased and set up these devices with Media Center. As is the story of my life, everything that seems to work is just not available yet.

The first (and most promising) is the Logitech Harmony 800 QWERTY. The display functions as a multitouch trackpad and it has macros, making it possible for the technologically retarded to operate. However, I can't get an actual release date on the thing. Anyone know when it's set to be released?

The 2nd remote is part of a GoogleTV box being released by Sony (model NSZ-GS7). It's got everything that would make it a perfect fit for WMC (remote-style hard buttons, keyboard, trackpad, backlight), but I can't find a parts vendor to sell me one. I'm sure I can get it working with WMC with some software trickery. If anyone knows where I can get the remote by itself and/or has already configured it to Media Center, please let me know.

If anyone has info on either of these remotes (or something comparable and actually being sold), I will sell you my first born. Thanks =)

chuchi78

Post by chuchi78 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Here's another option I've been following for 2 years, yet won't materialize. It's called the Philips DUAL remote. I'm not sure if it has a backlight, but then again, I'm not sure it'll ever come to market either. If anyone knows when/where this will be sold, I'd appreciate the info.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:25 am

I know that Logitech is working on new remotes.. They had a write up on one of the tech sites.. engadget, neowin.. something like that..anyway they are going to relase a new set of Harmony Remotes.. ETA? I would venture a guess at the fall at the earliest in time for winter when TV purchasing season is at it's highest and the holidays are close. I'm in the same boat as you I have a Lenovo N5902 and a Logitech Harmony One. Would like an all in One that isn't 2" thick...
newfiend~

chuchi78

Post by chuchi78 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

You're probably right. It's hard to believe how long WMC has been around and that not 1 viable solution has been released yet, but let's cross our fingers for xmas.

If anyone hears of anything regarding these remotes or other options that are similar, please post :)

duncane

Post by duncane » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 am

Hi, I know this is not what you're after (no keyboard) but just thought I'd share for others that look at the post. My RF remote broke a couple weeks ago and I couldn't find a suitable replacement so I thought I'd go back to IR and control the TV too. I only have the HTPC and TV to worry about so something pretty basic was needed and I bought this

http://www.oneforall.com/en_UK/product/ ... artcontrol
Only £15 from Amazon and it works perfectly. Punch in the code for TV and another code for MCE and off you go. Doesn't need to be pointed straight at (standard) IR receiver either as it seems quite happy bouncing off 'whatever' else in the room.

I too was looking for a Keyboard remote so may splash out on that Harmony 800 so another reason to keep this one cheap!

Cheers
Ewan

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:26 am

You may not be aware, but the Smart Control is also a JP1 remote (JP1.4 actually) . That means with an optional cable, you can program it from your PC like Harmony and do things like add new devices and functions as well as more easily program macros.

I personally think all-in-one solutions have more drawbacks than advantages. I'm perfectly happy with a standard universal remote for most of my activities plus an iOS or Android keyboard/mouse app on the occasions I need more control.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:57 pm

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/07/echo ... -hands-on/
looks like Phillips put that remote to use elsewhere....
Lee

chuchi78

Post by chuchi78 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:43 am

December is around the corner, and nothing more than some vague filings from Logitech for the 800. Anybody have an ETA on the 800 qwerty?

Cyterio

Post by Cyterio » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/DBTech-Mini-Wirel ... h+keyboard

It is nowhere near a remote but does have standard media buttons mapped to the function keys at the top. It is also backlit and available with either RF or Bluetooth connectivity. I primarily use this for my HTPC but I also have a Harmony 670 for ease of use for other people.

chuchi78

Post by chuchi78 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:29 am

Ok, so I took the plunge and bought the Sony NSG-MR5U remote for GoogleTV (pictured in my first post above). I paired it with the bluetooth receiver in my laptop and the keyboard works right off the bat. Some of the buttons on the front work as well (directional arrows, back, play, pause, vulume up/down, mute, channel up/down, and the Guide button takes me to the WMC guide). The rest of the buttons do nothing, but I can take care of that with EventGhost. I'm having a couple of issues, though.

First off, the trackpad doesn't work at all. I thought this would work, much like the keyboard, as an HID device. However, it's possible that the bluetooth receiver on this laptop is ancient and unable to recognize the input. I'm picking up a USB bluetooth receiver tomorrow and will keep you posted on my progress.

Secondly, the remote has no IR emitter. This means that it has no way of directly turning off a tv or AMP. The 2 solutions I've found are to install an HDMI CEC adapter:
http://shop.rcaware.com/RCAware-PC-CEC- ... C-BNDL.htm
This solution would work (there's an EventGhost plugin for the device), but my $85.00 purchase is suddenly doubled with this solution. It's starting to become cost-prohibitive. The 2nd option is to buy a compatible IR receiver with a built-in IR blaster. I can set up an event in EventGhost to transmit an off signal to the TV, but this would require installing a cable going from the PC to the TV.

If I get this working, I'll post my progress here.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Barnabas1969 has done what you are attempting. I am sure he would have some good insight into what your doing and what you may need. I believe he has a HDMI CEC adapter as well to make it all work and has had excellent results. You may want to PM him and see if he has time to help you out.
newfiend~

intvsteve

Post by intvsteve » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:05 am

I use a Rii, which looks exactly like chuchi's...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ywords=rii

But also still use Harmony mostly.
Last edited by intvsteve on Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 am

I use the Gyration Air remote. It is simple to use and honestly is the best remote I have found for everyone in the house. I bounced around between a lot of high end remotes, but my wife and kids would quit on it right away because it was too complicated. I do not think they are making new remotes but they are still easy to find. I got mine off Tiger direct with a wireless keyboard. they support triple tap on the number pad for typing as well. It is a long range RF with a built in gyration mouse. It can learn up to 25 codes for each IR device your using. Also a standard universal remote most major brands are supported. Image This is my main remote, apart from this i use my tablets and smart phones, but this is the easiest to pick up and go.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:47 pm

newfiend wrote:Barnabas1969 has done what you are attempting. I am sure he would have some good insight into what your doing and what you may need. I believe he has a HDMI CEC adapter as well to make it all work and has had excellent results. You may want to PM him and see if he has time to help you out.
newfiend~
Ah. Now I know where those PM's are coming from!

No, I didn't do anything of this sort. What the OP is asking is nothing like what I did. My remote is an IR remote, and I've used EventGhost to add some extra buttons that were not part of the default WMC buttons. For example, I have buttons that will start the Hulu Desktop, Netflix plugin, Media Center Sleep Timer, etc. I am also using HDMI-CEC so that the remote that came with my TV will operate Media Center.

I wouldn't know where to start with the OP's request... but if he gets it working, I'd like to know about it.

chuchi78

Post by chuchi78 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:17 pm

No luck so far. I spoke to a rep at Sony and she mentioned that they may consider creating Windows drivers for it, but if/when those will be available is uncertain. I'll repost anything I hear on this thread.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
newfiend wrote:Barnabas1969 has done what you are attempting. I am sure he would have some good insight into what your doing and what you may need. I believe he has a HDMI CEC adapter as well to make it all work and has had excellent results. You may want to PM him and see if he has time to help you out.
newfiend~
Ah. Now I know where those PM's are coming from!
Sorry if I filled your inbox brother.. I thought you had done something similar with eventghost and the CEC adapter.. My Bad.. ;)