Problem with Media Update

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem with Media Update

Post by lucasbuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:45 am

I had an Xbox that I used for an extender and it went bad. So, bought a new one. When I set it up, I used the same Live account from my old one. When I went to play a (I think it was an mp4) it said I needed the media update. So I went to download it, and it said I already had. I guess remembering from my old profile that I had already gotten that from the marketplace. I redownloaded it, but still got the 'need an update' message when playing the video. I've tried everything. Downloaded several times, deleted the update and redownloaded, etc. Still the same thing. Always says I need the media update when trying to play mp4. It also seems to lock it up when I try to exit out. Any ideas?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Try removing the extender account from the PC and Xbox and start fresh with a new extender account. Then add the media update to the new account.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:10 pm

That seemed to work, thanks. Now another issue though. It won't seem to play mkv files. It doesn't give me the media update error, but does say that certain files needed aren't installed, restart the extender and PC. Tried both with no luck. It's not a huge deal, I can just convert the few mkvs I have. But they play fine on the PC, just not the extender. Any ideas?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:11 pm

.mkv isn't an officially supported container format or WMC.. It will depend on bitrate the .MKV is encoded at as well as what type of audio is in the .mkv container.
It could be that the bitrate is too high and won't play or that it conrtains an audio stream it can't decode.
Your best bet is to encode the video to a container the XBOX supports like .mp4 or .WTV.
I have some .mkv that play some that do not. Anything you want to play on an extender should be in a .mp4 or .WTV container for best results/ease of use.
newfiend~

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 am

I knew mkv's were kind of flaky. Any ideas if there's a sample posted anywhere online though that does work, just so I can check if it's the XBOX. It's a few issues with it and just want to check if I should return it so I don't run into any more issues down the line.