DLNA and DTCP-IP for the Echo??

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
warpster

HTPC Specs: Show details

DLNA and DTCP-IP for the Echo??

Post by warpster » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:27 pm

There was talk of adding some type of Android support to the Echo. Is that still in thew works or is it a dead horse at this point?

I was just thinking that Ceton should continue in that direction and add a DLNA renderer with DTCP-IP support which would allow it to be the DLNA client for SiliconDust Prime's newly added DLNA capability. While they were adding this they could add DLNA capability to the Infinity line also. If they could do this and include an EPG they would sell many of these to current SiliconDust customers and I suspect to many many new and existing customers. It would be the perfect device, add other clients for things like Netflix etc and they would clean up. They already have the extender taken care of. Please Ceton!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 pm

I would just like to say...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
:eh: :eh: :eh: :eh: :eh: :eh: :eh:

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am

warpster wrote:There was talk of adding some type of Android support to the Echo. Is that still in thew works or is it a dead horse at this point?

I was just thinking that Ceton should continue in that direction and add a DLNA renderer with DTCP-IP support which would allow it to be the DLNA client for SiliconDust Prime's newly added DLNA capability. While they were adding this they could add DLNA capability to the Infinity line also. If they could do this and include an EPG they would sell many of these to current SiliconDust customers and I suspect to many many new and existing customers. It would be the perfect device, add other clients for things like Netflix etc and they would clean up. They already have the extender taken care of. Please Ceton!
What you are suggesting does not make a lot of sense. Why would anyone want their existing tuner to act as a dlna client just to play a stream from a competing company's tuner?

warpster

Post by warpster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 am

RealCodeGuy wrote:
warpster wrote:There was talk of adding some type of Android support to the Echo. Is that still in thew works or is it a dead horse at this point?

What you are suggesting does not make a lot of sense. Why would anyone want their existing tuner to act as a dlna client just to play a stream from a competing company's tuner?

Well, maybe because it eliminates Media Center from the picture entirely! But if you think Microsoft will continue to support and update Media Center then maybe it's not an issue but if you think MS will eventually dump Media Center then we need another method to view/record Copy protected content and this would provide it. If Microsoft ends up dumping Media Center or quits developing for it, OH WAIT THEY ALREADY HAVE (developing)....then at that point as it stands the Echo and every other extender out there becomes useless or at least on it's way there. As far as a competing company and creating something for that, Ceton has to watch the future also and right now media center is the only game in town for protected content. Ceton needs to look ahead and this (DLNA using DTCP-IP for DRM), hopefully, will catch on. To me it makes perfect sense....to each there own. If you haven't already, do some reading about what SiliconDust is doing, it's an exciting development and there is no reason both companies can't/shouldn't develop towards that. Right now Ceton has the hardware already made and selling (Echo), they could get the jump on the set top box side of it....unless someone like Roku does it first. The big hold back is the EPG, somebody needs to come up with a device that will serve as the renderer and provide the EPG and DVR functionality.

Also I didn't say anything about using their existing tuner as a DLNA client, the Echo would be the DLNA client and it would get it's stream from the Infinity or Prime via DLNA using DTCP-IP for DRM. The Infinity would be a DLNA server like the Prime is now.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 am

I know what SD is doing, I installed the beta last night after receiving the invite to check it out. Not sure if it was by design, but after scanning, none of my protected channels were in the list.
Also I didn't say anything about using their existing tuner as a DLNA client, the Echo would be the DLNA client and it would get it's stream from the Infinity or Prime via DLNA using DTCP-IP for DRM. The Infinity would be a DLNA server like the Prime is now.
Okay, I misunderstood... but isn't that what the Echo does now? It just doesn't use DLNA to do it. And I don't see how you are going to eliminate Media Center from the equation unless CableLabs allows CC activation outside of WMC.

warpster

Post by warpster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:58 am

It's already being done with the PS3 (since it supports DTCP-IP). I also signed up for the beta and installed the firmware last night. I don't have a DTCP-IP capable device but I can stream unprotected content now. Granted at this time I'm seeing some disconnect, missing channels, and pixelating issues but this is the first beta so that will improve with time (hopefully). From what I understand given a device that supports DTCP-IP the Prime should be able to deliver a protected stream to any DLNA capable device that supports it also and that device should be able to record that stream to a storage device for later viewing. So we are talking straight from the tuner to the TV/BluRay/set top box (Echo) without Media Center being involved (the new Echo firmware would replace it). I think DTCP-IP has already been certified by CableLabs for compliance so that is already in place and no further certification would be required as long as the stream is protected by a certified DTCP-IP implimentation. The Cable Card itself is authorized by the Cable Co and the use of it in the Infinity and the Prime is already a done deal and certified by CableLabs, Media Center doesn't need to play...The big issue is the DVR functionality and displaying a program guide within an application that can schedule and record the content. Some of the Samsung Tvs support DTCP-IP (I think). It's just hard to tell what devices support what at this point. DTCP-IP and DLNA have been around for long time just no one has ever put it to use until now. At least this is what I have been able to put together in the limited time I've looked at it. I may be mistaken on some points, please correct me if I'm wrong, this is all very new and confusing.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:49 am

Sounds like you've done some homework. If DTCP-IP has already been certified by CableLabs then we may be looking at life after Media Center and it opens up all kinds of possibilities for keeping the HTPC alive. If this is truly where things are headed, I'm sure Ceton will be on board eventually.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:41 am

For me, this will all come down to how many devices actually implement DTCP-IP. Right now, it seems like only the PS3 and a few smart TVs support this?

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:03 pm

grinchy wrote:For me, this will all come down to how many devices actually implement DTCP-IP. Right now, it seems like only the PS3 and a few smart TVs support this?
Yep, that's the problem - very few implementations because there wasn't a lot of protected content being served with it, not to mention it's not cheap or easy to implement. Hopefully that will change now.

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:29 pm

It would seem then that SD may eventually come out with their own device (a la extender) to support DTCP-IP. I guess this could open them up to using or building their own DVR system, which could be really cool if it actually happens (within a reasonable time frame). Too many "if's" for me at this point though.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 pm

I think SD opened the possibility for a bunch of streamers to get into this market. The Echo would be sensible to support this. If Apple was paying attention, this is a huge opportunity for the Apple TV as well.