Video Card Selection Advice

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Phylum

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video Card Selection Advice

Post by Phylum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi All
Very new to HTPC's and the like. Participated/ing in Ceton Echo & Companion Apps beta and just (1/13) purchased a PCIe InfiniTV to replace the $17/mo DVR from Verizon. Ceton FTW!

The only thing I'm aware that I really need right now, hence why I'm here, is a video card with HDMI out. A good friend of mine suggested picking up a Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 ($94). I want to make sure I get something appropriate for the task at hand. I know one can get very creative with their HTPC (emulators, CD/DVD backups etc) and I'll probably try to do something similar, but I won't be Crysis 2 gaming on this thing so I won't need a pair of GTX 560 Ti 448's or the Radeon equivalent.

Can anyone recommend decent video cards for HTPC setups?

When it comes to noise & placement:
  • The 'HTPC' (HP ML150 G6) is very quiet; was running for weeks, maybe as much as 2 months before I realized it was still on! On the other hand, my Dell PowerEdge T710 is fairly loud, probably because of the 8x500GB drives in there. (That and its a dual quad core whereas the HP is a single quad core.)
  • I'm not [too] concerned with GPU fan noise, just as long as it doesn't sound like a 1U server right out the gate. I imagine video cards at this level (e.g.: not gaming oriented &/or are not under any appreciable load) are usually fairly quiet. Still, I'd like to do what I can to keep it silent (tweak bios, adjust driver/software profiles etc).
  • The HP will be in the same room as the TV. I originally planned to keep it in the rack near the TV, but since I have clearance behind some furniture, I'm just as happy to run a 10-25 foot HDMI cable to the TV.
In case you care and/or are interested:
My HTPC is a rather robust HP ML150 G6 with plenty of RAM and processing power for what it will be doing. There will be minimal local storage as everything (music, photos, videos etc.) will be stored on a Synology DS411+ii NAS with 4x3TB drives. The goal is to use this as our new MediaCenter/STB/DVR. We primarily record a good number of shows because of time constraints and watch them as time permits during the week and catch up on the weekend. And while I'm no stranger to PC's, the HTPC/MediaCenters arena is new for me, and could greatly benefit from the expertise of the community.

Anticipated Build Overview:
  • Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    • I have Ultimate 64-bit if there's value in installing that instead
    • I also have Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (+MediaCenter) if there's value in installing that instead
  • Microsoft Security Essentials
  • InfiniTV Installation & Setup Process (whatever that entails)
  • PlayOn & PlayLater
  • There's more but I'll save that for a different thread!
Last edited by Phylum on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm

If at all possible I would go with a fanless card. Some of those can sound like jumbo jets.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:34 pm

The Vapor-X range of heatsinks and fans are very quiet in HTPC mode especially.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:21 pm

How loud is that Proliant server - are you going to have it in the same room as the TV?

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:23 pm

MLs have been whisper quiet for me.

Mind you none of those have been used for HTPC installs.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Phylum

Post by Phylum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 pm

foxwood wrote:How loud is that Proliant server
STC wrote:MLs have been whisper quiet for me.
Mind you none of those have been used for HTPC installs.
Agreed: I ran the HP in a high availability ESXi cluster, and at one point I thought it was off because it was so quiet! On the other hand, my Dell PowerEdge T710 is fairly loud, probably because of the drives (8x500@7200) in there. (Well, that and its a dual quad core whereas the HP is a single quad core.) I wish I could trade in my Dell PET710 for one more HP!
STC wrote:The Vapor-X range of heatsinks and fans are very quiet in HTPC mode especially.
lithium630 wrote:If at all possible I would go with a fanless card. Some of those can sound like jumbo jets.
I'm not [too] concerned with GPU fan noise, just as long as it doesn't sound like a 1U server right out the gate. I imagine video cards at this level (e.g.: not gaming oriented &/or are not under any appreciable load) are usually fairly quiet. Still, I'd like to do what I can to keep it silent (tweak bios, adjust driver/software profiles etc).
foxwood wrote:are you going to have it in the same room as the TV?
The HP will be in the same room as the TV. I originally planned to keep it in the rack near the TV, but since I have clearance behind some furniture, I'm just as happy to run a 10-25 foot HDMI cable to the TV.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:56 pm

Done:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814161417

Quiet, low power, plenty powerful.

You can also go for the 6670 model if you want to spend a little less money (about $70)

Phylum

Post by Phylum » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Lucky - curious: Other than the fact that this is a silent card (no fan), how does that compare to the Sapphire?

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Exactly the same other than the coolers and the manufacturer.

Outside of some special cards (overclocked versions and things like that), when the GPU model is the same the cards will perform the same.

Both are good reliable companies.

I also have a 6750 card I'm about to put up in the marketplace for $50 shipped if you want something cheaper. The 6750 is similar on performance, just a little higher on power consumption (about 30w more).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:41 pm

Nvidia GT430 and GT640 also work very well for HTPC, both have fans but are not audible.. at least to me. My case fans are louder than the fan on the Nvidia cards. I never hear the video card fan ever. They both work well as I have had both cards and bitstream my audio to my AVR w/o issue. I wouldn't recommend them for any gaming but for watching TV/Movies they are excellent.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am

The GT640 isn't a bad card for gaming at all.

And most video cards will make no noise at all during video playback or regular usage. Only when the card starts to be utilized in 3D applications like gaming does it really start to spin the fan harder.