Moving recorded movies and maintaining metadata

jj4golf

HTPC Specs: Show details

Moving recorded movies and maintaining metadata

Post by jj4golf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:02 pm

Hello All, I'm relatively new to Media Center and hopefully someone can help me with what I would like to do. First of all I'm operating on Windows 8 (obviously since I'm posting in the win8 forum).

I'm trying to build up my movie collection so I've been recording movies from my cable channels. They show up fine movie library, but they also stay in the recorded TV section, which is getting a little crowded and it makes it difficult to find my regular shows. What I wanted to do was move the movies to a different folder which I've done, and media center finds them, but by moving them I've lost all the metadata information (I believe that's what its called, basically the cover art, synopsis, etc.)

I tried putting all the movies into their own separate folders and downloaded Yamm, but it doesn't appear to be working, which I'm assuming is because it hasn't been developed for Win8.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, J.J.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:20 pm

As far as I know, YAMM should work with Win8 - at least the version that is included in the Ceton Companion Services seems to work.

I'm pretty sure that if YAMM was known to not work with Windows 8, Mikinho would have updated his website to make note of that.

jj4golf

Post by jj4golf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Foxwood,

Thanks for your reply. With all the references I found to YAMM on the web I also had a hard time believing it wouldn't work with Win8, but it just doesn't seem to on my machine. I thought it might have been a firewall issue and I went ahead and disabled my firewall and anti-virus, but that didn't seem to work either. I'll have to try the version from the Ceton Companion Services, but I'm not sure where I find that? I didn't see it as a download option on their website.

Thanks again for your help and sorry if I seem naive, this is my first run at media center. Speaking of which have you had any experience with "My Movies"? It seems like another option similar to YAMM.

J.J.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:07 pm

It's been a while since I set up YAMM, so I don't remember the details.

To start with, I'd create a brand new folder, and set up YAMM to monitor that folder (Library tab). Set YAMM to rename Movie folders (Settings tab) and download 7MC Meta Data(Meta Data tab). Then I'd create an empty folder called Up on my desktop, and drop it into that new YAMM folder. (Why Up? Because it's short, and the name of a movie that YAMM should recognize).

If Yamm is running, and set up properly, that folder should automatically be renamed to "Up (2009)", and the appropriate XML and .jpg files should be downloaded. (I'm pretty sure that works even if it's an empty folder).

If that happens, then YAMM is working, and it's a question of making sure Media Center is set up properly. If the folder doesn't get renamed, then you know that the problem is with YAMM, so you can focus your trouble shooting in the right area. The first thing I'd do is a reboot to make sure that the YAMM services get a chance to start properly. Check the running Services and make sure YAMM is listed (I don't have a Windows 8 machine handy, but I presume you just type Service on the start screen, and select Settings).

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:09 pm

jj4golf wrote:Thanks again for your help and sorry if I seem naive, this is my first run at media center. Speaking of which have you had any experience with "My Movies"? It seems like another option similar to YAMM.
I never bothered - I keep recording movies, but never get around to watching them :) so setting up My Movies never seemed worthwhile!

jj4golf

Post by jj4golf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Foxwood, Thanks so much for your help! I will definitely give this a try tonight! You know its funny what you said about downloading and never watching...I've had the media center running for about three weeks now and have downloaded over 10 movies....none of which I've watched! HA! Thanks again for your help!