Record Sequential Shows on Same Channel with 4 Tuners

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
tsbgfk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Record Sequential Shows on Same Channel with 4 Tuners

Post by tsbgfk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:00 pm

I have a four tuner set-up (two Hauppauge 2250s on Win7 Home Premium box). When I have back-to-back programs set to record on the same channel, they are always recorded with the same tuner (thus losing some of the beginning of the next program) even though other tuners are available.

Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue so I'm cross-posting to the tuner and software sections.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue? Thanks.

Tim

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Welcome to tgb.tv :)

You need to go into the "advanced" record settings for the first recording and set the end time to 10 mins after, not the "when possible" option.

I borrowed this from a certain other greenbutton - but I did write it in the first place and ought to put it in our wiki really....... it is now in our wiki:

http://thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index.php ... recordings
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:50 am

Don't forget, you can also set a default for recordings so that recordings stop/start on-time instead of some minutes before/after...

Go to the main menu, choose Settings > TV > Recorder > Recording Defaults, and then set the Start/Stop times to "On time". This, of course, works only if your programs normally start on time as expected. It also helps to make sure your system clock is regularly updated with an internet time server... there are other posts here and on experts.windows.com that deal with how to get your system to update the time more frequently than the default.

Mine all default to "On time", and I rarely miss a few seconds of the beginning/end of a show because my system time gets updated after every wake-up/reboot. Windows PC's are notorious for inaccurate system clocks. I think the default frequency for updating the system clock was weekly... and this is far too infrequent for accurate recordings.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:20 am

Here's more information to setup a scheduled task to update your system time whenever your PC wakes from sleep:

1a) Create a batch file using Notepad named sync_clock.bat with the following commands:

Code: Select all

%windir%\system32\sc.exe start w32time task_started
%windir%\system32\w32tm.exe /resync
1b) Open the Task Scheduler, choose the "task scheduler library" folder in the left pane.
1c) Create a new scheduled task by clicking "Create task" in the actions pane.
2) On the "General" tab, give it a name like "Sync clock at wakeup"
3) Choose "Run whether user is logged on or not"
4) Check the box for "Run with highest privileges"
5) If you are not already logged on as an administrative user, click the button that says "Change user or group" and choose an administrative user". You will be prompted at some point for that user's password... you will need to enter it and choose to save the user credentials so that the task will work in the future.
6) On the "Triggers" tab, create a new event by clicking the "New" button and setting the following:
6a) Begin the task "On event"
6b) Settings: "Basic"
6c) Log: System
6d) Source: Power- Troubleshooter
6e) Event ID: 1
6f) Make sure that the box labeled "Enabled" is checked. Nothing else should be checked.
7) On the "Actions" tab, Click "New"
7a) Action: Start a program
7b) In the "Program/script" box, type the full path and filename of the sync_clock.bat file that you created in 1a, above.
7c) Click OK
8) On the Conditions tab, choose "Start only if the following network connection is available: "Any connection".
9) Click OK. You may be prompted for the password for the user that you chose in step 5. Enter it.

Your system will now sync the clock with your chosen internet time server each time the system wakes from sleep. You can change the internet time server address by left-clicking on the clock in the system tray, and choosing "change date and time settings" and then clicking the "Internet time" tab, then clicking the "Change settings" button to assign a new time server URI.

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:21 pm

tsbgfk wrote:I have a four tuner set-up (two Hauppauge 2250s on Win7 Home Premium box). When I have back-to-back programs set to record on the same channel, they are always recorded with the same tuner (thus losing some of the beginning of the next program) even though other tuners are available.

Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue so I'm cross-posting to the tuner and software sections.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue? Thanks.

Tim
Hi Tim,

the approach I use, it to record 5 mins before, and 10 mins after (not when possible) - this way it forces the second tuner to be used.

Tony

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

And of course, one could always just set up a simple timed recording for that channel for that whole block of time.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Here's more information to setup a scheduled task to update your system time whenever your PC wakes from sleep:
Barnabas, you are the man. Thanks