Video App Metadata + MKV and subs support

NWW

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video App Metadata + MKV and subs support

Post by NWW » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am

Since it's fair to say that WMC as we know it is pretty much dead, and we're bound to see a Live TV/Recorded TV metro app sometime (it'd be stupid not to), I'm trying to adapt by trying out the new Video metro app. But, no metadata is available, even though MCM has parsed the correct info.

Also, MKV and subs don't work.

So, what now?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:28 am

Probably not an option that you're crazy about, but it works for me - go back to 7MC for 6-12 months and then see what apps are around.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

NWW

Post by NWW » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 am

My production HTPC is on 7MC. I'm just testing out on a laptop to get a feel and see how it goes. This is why I'm asking about the metadata!

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:59 am

That makes sense!

My guess is that we'll need to wait for 3rd party apps in order to get subs / metadata working.

Did I read somewhere that the "Metro" apps have no access to 3rd party codecs?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:45 pm

I'm bumping this old thread of mine.

Well I did some testing.

On my Win 7 desktop, with Zune installed on it, I can manually edit the metadata of my video files (over a 1000, perfectly tagged with MCM for use with WMC), which are just listed as "Other", with no metadata being read.

Now here is the interesting part!

If I edit a video, say, The Dark Knight Rises, put in the year, genre, and Movie type, on my surface, which is pointed to the same directories, it will add The Dark Knight Rises as a Movie in the Xbox Video App! I can't test that for TV Shows, as those aren't available in Belgium just yet (stupid World Wide Web*)

Availability limited by geographical region. Oh, did we say World Wide? Well screw you too!

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:59 pm

NWW wrote:I'm bumping this old thread of mine.

Well I did some testing.

On my Win 7 desktop, with Zune installed on it, I can manually edit the metadata of my video files (over a 1000, perfectly tagged with MCM for use with WMC), which are just listed as "Other", with no metadata being read.

Now here is the interesting part!

If I edit a video, say, The Dark Knight Rises, put in the year, genre, and Movie type, on my surface, which is pointed to the same directories, it will add The Dark Knight Rises as a Movie in the Xbox Video App! I can't test that for TV Shows, as those aren't available in Belgium just yet (stupid World Wide Web*)

Availability limited by geographical region. Oh, did we say World Wide? Well screw you too!
It just adds the video as 'movie type' or all metadata you input was displayed?

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Only the fact that it is a movie. Could someone else test that out?

gblinckmann

Post by gblinckmann » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 pm

NWW wrote:If I edit a video, say, The Dark Knight Rises, put in the year, genre, and Movie type, on my surface, which is pointed to the same directories, it will add The Dark Knight Rises as a Movie in the Xbox Video App!
I've tried this, but I'm missing something. The year and genre attributes are easy. I'm assuming that I need to set an attribute "type" to "movie". That doesn't seem to get the movie section of XBox Videos. Does "movie type" here refer to something else?

gblinckmann

Post by gblinckmann » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:42 am

gblinckmann wrote:
NWW wrote:If I edit a video, say, The Dark Knight Rises, put in the year, genre, and Movie type, on my surface, which is pointed to the same directories, it will add The Dark Knight Rises as a Movie in the Xbox Video App!
I've tried this, but I'm missing something. The year and genre attributes are easy. I'm assuming that I need to set an attribute "type" to "movie". That doesn't seem to get the movie section of XBox Videos. Does "movie type" here refer to something else?
This is really odd. I now know what you were talking about, NWW. If I edit the files with the Zune software, I can change the type to Movie. This is recognized on the same computer's XBox Videos app, but not on other computers if the file is copied to it. That's really odd. The Zune software doesn't seem to be changing the ID3 tag properties, but it is changing something in the file, I think. I just can't see it outside of the Zune software.

NWW

Post by NWW » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:15 am

Yep, that's my take as well. I had noticed that all the way back when I had my Zune 80. I tried to copy an entire season on the Zune, and I had to enter the metadata manually. After moving the files around, the metadata got lost along the way. To this day, I do not know how that works. But whenever on my Win 7 desktop, I edit the properties of a video file through Zune, it shows up on my Surface through the network.

Innocence

Post by Innocence » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm considering using Plex on Windows 8 myself. Plex has top of the line automatic metadata handling and they recently released a Windows app