Encode DVDs to play on both Echo and Linksys

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rmanaka

HTPC Specs: Show details

Encode DVDs to play on both Echo and Linksys

Post by rmanaka » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm

I've been trying to encode by DVD files to something that will play on both my Echo and my three Linksys extenders without using on-the-fly transcoding...so far no luck. If I find a setting that works well on the Echo (so far a mpeg4) it stutters and jerks on the Linksys. Many files that will play on the Linksys will give a black screen on the Echo, only playing audio most of the time. I've tried many variants on MPEG2, MPEG4, AVI, WMV9 without any luck. Using fw 2012.1219.1030 native.

I'd like to use DVDFab to encode my files this program has made it REALLY easy and fast to make files for my Nexus 7 and Nexus phones, but I can use any other utility to encode my DVDs. All of my encoded files play on either WMC (both Win 7 and Win 8). I'd also like to use Media Browser in WMC, but I'll settle (and have put the files in both places for trials) for just in the Movie section.

Has anybody been successful in encoding DVDs for BOTH extenders? If so, would it be possible to upload a very short file that I could use to "train" my copy of DVDFab (v9 or v8)?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, my WIN7 machine is a dedicated Intel Q6600 8GB with Ceton Infinity4 Card. My Win 8 Pro machine is a i7-3930 machine 32GB with input from a HD Homerun Prime. All run x64 variants, obviously.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:22 am

The obvious solution is to replace the Linksys with another Echo :D

Aside from that, we are continuing to work to improve the format support of Echo, so you may be best just sitting tight for a few more weeks.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

rmanaka

Post by rmanaka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:14 pm

erkotz wrote:The obvious solution is to replace the Linksys with another Echo :D

Aside from that, we are continuing to work to improve the format support of Echo, so you may be best just sitting tight for a few more weeks.
Haha! Good response! :lol: That is my long-range plan.

I know from my experience with the Infinity that all will work out in the end...the quad card has been a real workhorse after its firmware matured. Thanks for the great work!!!

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:52 pm

I have always used TMPGEnc from Pegasys to rip/encode my DVDs to an MPEG2 file (.mpg). The settings I have does nothing to the video but re-encodes the audio to MPEG1 Layer 2 for output over the stereo connection. This was because when I first started the kids DMA2100s were connected to old CRTs. When I tested my Echo, the Echo played these .mpg files just fine.

I also have a few Blu-ray rips to H.264 (.mp4). I don't remember how I did these, but they never played well on the DMA2100s so I abandoned that project. These .mp4 files also played horrifically on the Echo. I will point out that these .mp4 files also don't play on my XBox360 either. In fact out of all the extenders (DMA2100s, Echo, XBox360), the XBox360 is the worst for the ripped Blu-ray files. So my method/format definitely has flaws.

handyd

Post by handyd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:54 pm

I don't have a Linksys to test, but I've been using DivXPlus Converter in MKV format.

rmanaka

Post by rmanaka » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:12 am

kingwr wrote:I have always used TMPGEnc from Pegasys to rip/encode my DVDs to an MPEG2 file (.mpg). The settings I have does nothing to the video but re-encodes the audio to MPEG1 Layer 2 for output over the stereo connection. This was because when I first started the kids DMA2100s were connected to old CRTs. When I tested my Echo, the Echo played these .mpg files just fine.

I also have a few Blu-ray rips to H.264 (.mp4). I don't remember how I did these, but they never played well on the DMA2100s so I abandoned that project. These .mp4 files also played horrifically on the Echo. I will point out that these .mp4 files also don't play on my XBox360 either. In fact out of all the extenders (DMA2100s, Echo, XBox360), the XBox360 is the worst for the ripped Blu-ray files. So my method/format definitely has flaws.

I remember those days! Most of the time I've used Slysoft's AnyDVD HD to rip my Blu-rays to .iso files and then a number of methods to get them to play over my DMA2100 and DMA220s. Not a lot of luck until I started using DVDFab to both rip AND convert BR to DVD or .mp4s Now I have a setting that always plays on the Echo (and beautifully with or without subtitles, depending upon the encode) but most of the time the Linksys will stutter.

Thanks for your info!

rmanaka

Post by rmanaka » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:13 am

handyd wrote:I don't have a Linksys to test, but I've been using DivXPlus Converter in MKV format.
So far I haven't had luck with a MKV container that works with both the Echo and the Linksys...ratsafratsa! :crazy: