[Drivers] Official Windows 8 Beta Drivers

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Cowboy wrote:I just installed the new drivers and I don't get the red check mark in diagnostics that says "Have your cable provider resend the activation signal again". I got that with the old beta drivers.
I still get red check mark here but tv still works fine

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:50 pm

I just decided to take the plunge today and upgrade to Windows 8 on my HTPC. I have a good backup of my W7 build so I'm not all too worried if I have to revert back... HOWEVER...

I appear to be stuck with just getting 4 of my 8 InfiniTV tuners to work. I'm getting the 4-tuner limit message in TV Tuner setup.

Any thoughts or ideas? I did a clean uninstall, reboot, and reinstall of the Ceton W7 drivers and loaded the Win8 Beta drivers.

Thanks!
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey TheOsburnFamily,

Did you take a look at post #38?

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:56 pm

Crap! I missed that little line... *DOH*

So if I uninstall the W8 drivers and try going back to the W7 drivers, will the W7 install package unlock the tuner limit? Anyone know/have it working?
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 pm

Reading between the lines on post #38 I would ASSUME that he didn't install the Windows 8 drivers and was still running on the drivers that were present when he upgraded. Soooo, you could always try the latest Windows 7 drivers. If you do be sure to uninstall the current drivers first, then install the new ones. Likewise, if they don't work and you decide to go back to the Windows 8 beta drivers uninstall/reinstall.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Tx for the suggestion cb... but... after a brief stint, I'm already rolling back to 7. I just tried playing one of my Bluray rips and it was horrible. I was surprised too because I rip all my blurays to WMV9/WMA10 5.1 @ 15MB Bitrate. (It's the hightest documented bitrate supported natively on the xbox extenders) AND, it's a MS codec... so I figured AT LEAST those would play decent.... Well that was a big fat negative.

So between that, the MCL issues, the non-officially-supported ceton issues, and all the others... I'm going back.

Truth be told, I never really figured I'd stay on W8. I really did it to get the $15 upgrade activated and the WMC key activated before the end of the month... Maybe some day I'll go back.

Cowboy

Post by Cowboy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:55 pm

OK, but just FYI I have been going back and forth between 7 and 8 for about 6 weeks. But now I am finally converted with all my movies, music, album art, etc. and everything is working great. Ceton support has been a big help whenever I ran into problems of my own making such as when I upgraded my memory and lost DRM. I think Windows 8 is much more responsive, but it just may be that it is a fresh Windows install. As far as Blu-Ray is concerned I just copy my movies directly to hard disk and play them with Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre 5.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah-- Unfortunately for me I have a bunch of Xbox extenders throughout the house. If it were just the htpc w/o any extenders, I'd be right there with ya.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:57 pm

When I upgraded from Widows 7 to Windows 8, I immediately put on the Ceton Beta Win 8 drivers. For some reason I still had all 8 tuners show up no problem. Media Center actually said it was importing settings from previous windows. I think that was the trick, it imported the fact that I had 8 tuners period and driver version made no dif. So until they release the final drivers, it looks like you'll need to setup Windows 7, get all 8 tuners working, then upgrade to Windows 8.

MinistryOfMagic

Post by MinistryOfMagic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:27 am

JazJon wrote:When I upgraded from Widows 7 to Windows 8, I immediately put on the Ceton Beta Win 8 drivers. For some reason I still had all 8 tuners show up no problem. Media Center actually said it was importing settings from previous windows. I think that was the trick, it imported the fact that I had 8 tuners period and driver version made no dif. So until they release the final drivers, it looks like you'll need to setup Windows 7, get all 8 tuners working, then upgrade to Windows 8.
I had the same experience you mentioned above when upgrading my system to Windows 8. I still receive a message each time I launch MC8, asking if I want to setup a cable tuner. If I proceed, it only lets me configure 4 cable tuners. I cancelled the setup and it still lets me record 8 shows at once, like it did under MC7.