Remote Desktop

Talk about setting up your home network.
guppy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Desktop

Post by guppy » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 am

My eyes go cross eyed trying to do windows stuff on my htpc with a wired keyboard 5 feet in front of the big screen. So I think doing a remote desktop from my den would make more sense. However I have never done remote desktop.

I am trying to connect to the pc in the next room, which is already shared homegroup. Both pc's are win 7 32bit. I type the ip and then it asks me for credentials, I dont have no stinkin credintials. I even setup a password to log into the den pc and tried that as credintials. What do I need to do?

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:03 am

Best way to resolve this is to, on your den PC, to assign your your main login user a password and then tell windows to not ask you for it.

So right click on Computer, goto manage and in the Local users and groups section secect users select your account, right click on it and choose Set Password and add a password to it.

Once that is done log off and log back in to make sure that worked as expected.

Then goto start and run (If you dont have run right click on the windows logo start button, choose properties, click the start menu tab at the top, press the customise button, scroll doen untl you see Run command and check that box and press ok and ok again)

Type this in the run box
Control userpasswords2

In this section you can tell th epc to remember your password and not prompt you for it at startup so it logs in the same as when you have no password set bu simply unticking the box in this window. screenshots in the weblink below.

http://www.articlesbase.com/operating-s ... 98818.html

So when thats done reboot to nmake sure it logs in as normal and then your remote desktop should work so long as its enabled!! Right click on computer on the main den pc and click properties and on the left hand side click on remote settings. click the second option allowing computers to connect using any version of remote desktop. Reboot if you have to change this here.

NOW it should all work!!

TheReaper

Post by TheReaper » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 am

guppy wrote:... Both pc's are win 7 32bit...
You didn't mention what version of Win 7, you need Win 7: Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise, or the remote desktop hack, on the target pc (the one you are trying to remote into).

Also the userid on the target pc that you are trying to remote desktop with, should either be in the 'Remote Desktop Users' user Group, or granted remote desktop access.

To enable remote desktop on the target pc: Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced system settings -> remote tab -> enable remote desktop by selecting the appropriate radio button (there is also a 'Select Users' button, to grant users access).
<- My Media Center PC

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:41 pm

I can also recommend using Control userpasswords2 to enable your user account to login to windows automatically after a reboot, especially for dedicated HTPC's. Then just use RDP with the username and password you have set as Fleadh suggests.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

guppy

Post by guppy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:06 am

TheReaper wrote:
guppy wrote:... Both pc's are win 7 32bit...
You didn't mention what version of Win 7, you need Win 7: Professional, Ultimate, Enterprise, or the remote desktop hack, on the target pc (the one you are trying to remote into).

Also the userid on the target pc that you are trying to remote desktop with, should either be in the 'Remote Desktop Users' user Group, or granted remote desktop access.

To enable remote desktop on the target pc: Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> Advanced system settings -> remote tab -> enable remote desktop by selecting the appropriate radio button (there is also a 'Select Users' button, to grant users access).
** Windows 7 Ultimate Ver 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack1)

** I clicked the radio button that says "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop (less secure)

Please explain ..

TheReaper

Post by TheReaper » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:16 am

guppy wrote: ** I clicked the radio button that says "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop (less secure)
Where you clicked the radio button above, there is also a "Select Users" push button. Push that button to open up a dialog box, where you add the users that can remote desktop into the computer. The userid you logon on with, when you remote desktop into the pc (your picture in your first post: 'Redrum'), must be on that list.

More details:

Push the "Select Users" push button (where you clicked the radio button above)
the "Remote Desktop Users" dialog box opens
Push the "Add" button
a "Select Users" dialog box will open
Push the "Advanced" button
another/different "Select Users" dialog box will open
Push the "Find Now" button
a list of users and groups will be filled in, in the lower section
Double-click on the user you want to add (in the list)
that takes you back to the first "Select Users" dialog box, with your selected user filled in
Push the "OK" button
that takes you back to the "Remote Desktop Users" dialog box, with your selected user added
Push the "OK" button
that takes you back to the 'System Properties' , 'Remote' tab
you are done, the user has been added to the 'Remote Desktop Users' group
<- My Media Center PC

guppy

Post by guppy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:58 am

TheReaper wrote:
guppy wrote: ** I clicked the radio button that says "Allow connections from computers running any version of remote desktop (less secure)
Where you clicked the radio button above, there is also a "Select Users" push button. Push that button to open up a dialog box, where you add the users that can remote desktop into the computer. The userid you logon on with, when you remote desktop into the pc (your picture in your first post: 'Redrum'), must be on that list.

More details:

Push the "Select Users" push button (where you clicked the radio button above)
the "Remote Desktop Users" dialog box opens
Push the "Add" button
a "Select Users" dialog box will open
Push the "Advanced" button
another/different "Select Users" dialog box will open
Push the "Find Now" button
a list of users and groups will be filled in, in the lower section
Double-click on the user you want to add (in the list)
that takes you back to the first "Select Users" dialog box, with your selected user filled in
Push the "OK" button
that takes you back to the "Remote Desktop Users" dialog box, with your selected user added
Push the "OK" button
that takes you back to the 'System Properties' , 'Remote' tab
you are done, the user has been added to the 'Remote Desktop Users' group

Yeah I remeber seeing the Select User.. I'll give it a try in about 7 hours. I am at this thing called work. Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Remote desktop users is a very restricted user account. Best log in as the default account that is already a member of administrators or create a new user and add that to administrators group.

So basically the account doesnt have to be in any remote whatever account to log in in a remote desktop session.

ALso to add to the mix unless you use the hack to allow concurrent users logging in as the main pc user using remote desktop logs off the user on that local machine. This can be a problemo if the wife tries to watch TV and is screaming that she has to put in a password to log on.

guppy

Post by guppy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Got it working. Thanks for all the help!

stuppid

Post by stuppid » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:39 pm

There is a free program available called real VNC. Works great. Works from anywhere if you set up the permissions on your router and firewalls.

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:51 pm

You can also use Dameware and logmein as an alternative to remote deasktop. dameware is cool as it will do a push install of teh client onto a remote machine and logmein is great for connecting to your htpc etc from work but out of all the alternatives remote desktop is the best hands down once its setup correctly and working.

terryj47

Post by terryj47 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:47 am

Windows Live Mesh works well with Windows 7 Home Premium (free download from MS) with one caveat. You can't operate a remote PC that's in Media Center full screen. As far as I know, you need to take the "remote" PC out of full screen (or close MC with a remote control first) then connect.
Other than that it works great. I use it for weekly maintenance on several PCs in our home network. I also use it to connect to work to do work or access files on our network.