Ceton Card - Do I need to call the cable company again??

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
blanco

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Card - Do I need to call the cable company again??

Post by blanco » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:13 am

Hi everyone,

Doing my homework before I take the plunge. I am going to use a CETON Card, possibly multiple. I have a few questions:
1. Would I need one cable card PER ceton card ?
2. Once I get the cable card and set it up in the PC, I understand that I need to call up the cable company to do some magic (I have FIOS). Now here's the important question: After the cable card is activated by the cable company, If I take that CETON card (along witht he cable card in it) and move it to a new PC, do I need to call up Verizon again to re-setup something ?
3. For Verizon FIOS, to they need to send a tech out to the residence to do some setup to activate the cable card? or is it all done over the phone without a visit.

Thanks.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:34 am

blanco wrote:1. Would I need one cable card PER ceton card ?
Yes, one Cable card per InfiniTV.
2. Once I get the cable card and set it up in the PC, I understand that I need to call up the cable company to do some magic (I have FIOS). Now here's the important question: After the cable card is activated by the cable company, If I take that CETON card (along witht he cable card in it) and move it to a new PC, do I need to call up Verizon again to re-setup something ?
The Cable-card is paired to the InfiniTV - you can move the card and InfinTV to another PC without intervention from the cable-company. (In some cases, FiOS users were able to move an activated Cable-card to another device without re-pairing, but don't count on that still being the case).
3. For Verizon FIOS, to they need to send a tech out to the residence to do some setup to activate the cable card? or is it all done over the phone without a visit.
They are supposed to do it over the phone. (The FCC made self-installs a requirement a while back, to stop the cable companies from charging $90 to install a cable-card).

blanco

Post by blanco » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:27 pm

You can activate the CableCard through your Verizon Account online, without the need to talk to anyone. Just download a CableCard utility.