Just bought DMA2100 on ebay, anything I should know?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Just bought DMA2100 on ebay, anything I should know?

Post by staknhalo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:08 pm

I just got a DMA2100 for about $85 bucks after shipping on ebay. I have 2 HTPCs. The living room one is the main one/gaming one. The bedroom one is the lesser one. It will be hooked into the bedroom one as to not use any resources when/if I'm gaming. I was thinking of going Powerline to avoid wireless (though some concrete walls). Any thoughts on that? MoCa is out as the coaxial wiring in this house is shitty to say the least. I removed all unnecessary splitters (or replaced them with better ones where they were needed) and removed any unneeded runs a while back to get the PQ perfect on the TVs where it is needed. Trying to go MoCa would just screw all that up.

Also, I know to disable transition animations on the extender; anything else I should know/any tricks?

I would have liked to get an Echo; but this is for an old CRT TV. Buying the Echo + HDMI to Composite adapter + Powerline Adapters would have been close to $280. Wouldn't make sense to spend that much for an old CRT :/ 360 would have been around $250, which seems like a waste as well. Plus it would have felt like a waste of power having it there just being an extender. That would have really bugged me :P

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:26 pm

I just got one off Ebay too. I have a similar problem as you do, with the wiring. I tried setting up the wireless on my DMA2100 in my bedroom and although it connected, it wouldn't do anything once connected. I have a laptop that I use in my room as well and I get full bars and fast speeds, I can even stream from my WHS with no problems.

I ended up going with a netgear powerline adapter. I'm getting a fairly good connection with no real video problems. As long as the room with the DMA2100 and the room with the other powerline adapter are on the same circuit, it should work fine. Eventually, I plan to run CAT6 throughout and get everything running on gigabit speeds.

HTH,
Eric

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm

What version/connection speed Powerline adapter did you get; 85/200/500 Mbps?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 pm

If you are planning on using the 2100 to strictly play recorded shows (not play other video formats), it should work fine. If you are planning on having it play other video formats, it will be a hit or miss if they work or have any issues. For example, I have my shows converted to H264 Mp4. When I play them thru the Linksys, they will play, but if I hit pause & come back 5 minutes later & unpause, the show starts back at the beginning. Besides stuff like that, it should work fine (unless your using Windows 8)
staknhalo wrote:I just got a DMA2100 for about $85 bucks after shipping on ebay. I have 2 HTPCs. The living room one is the main one/gaming one. The bedroom one is the lesser one. It will be hooked into the bedroom one as to not use any resources when/if I'm gaming. I was thinking of going Powerline to avoid wireless (though some concrete walls). Any thoughts on that? MoCa is out as the coaxial wiring in this house is shitty to say the least. I removed all unnecessary splitters (or replaced them with better ones where they were needed) and removed any unneeded runs a while back to get the PQ perfect on the TVs where it is needed. Trying to go MoCa would just screw all that up.

Also, I know to disable transition animations on the extender; anything else I should know/any tricks?

I would have liked to get an Echo; but this is for an old CRT TV. Buying the Echo + HDMI to Composite adapter + Powerline Adapters would have been close to $280. Wouldn't make sense to spend that much for an old CRT :/ 360 would have been around $250, which seems like a waste as well. Plus it would have felt like a waste of power having it there just being an extender. That would have really bugged me :P

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:54 pm

It's the Netgear Powerline XAV1004. I have two of them. I'm including a link to a kit that newegg sells.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... QgodnysA4A

I really like mine.

Eric

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:29 am

Make sure you setup the DMA2100 Network with manually assigned IP addresses, gateway, and DNS. Set your DNS to a local server on your LAN (maybe your router). The DMA2100 does an update check when booting up, and if it goes out to a real DNS server it will find the update server address and then ping it incessantly (because it is no longer there).