What is the best Echo setting for native 720p resolution?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fiteclub

HTPC Specs: Show details

What is the best Echo setting for native 720p resolution?

Post by fiteclub » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:56 am

So, my Samsung plasma display is a native 720p set. I am trying to decide whether the Echo is working correctly with its deinterlacing and scaling.

1. When Echo is set to native, all my channels (720p content and 1080i content) look great. This tells me the display is able to downscale and deinterlace 1080i just fine since Echo is not doing any processing.

2. When Echo is set to 1080p, 720p content has judder but 1080i content looks fine. I guess this makes since since the Echo is upscaling 720p to 1080p and the set is reversing that process. I could see where this might introduce artifacts but don't know for sure. 1080i content is just being deinterlaced by Echo and then downscaled by the display and this looks pretty good to me.

3. When Echo is set to 720p output, all my stations look good which tells me that the Echo is doing a good job of downscaling and deinterlacing 1080i content.

I guess my first question is in regard to situation #2. Is this the expected behavior? considering the content is being upscaled (by Echo) and then downscaled (by display) again.

My 2nd question is, should I use 720p or native output from the Echo. In other words, does the Echo process video better than the typical circuitry found in displays? My gut tells me they are probably equivalent in video processing quality but I really don't know. Maybe high end sets have better video scalers and deinterlacers??

mikbro

Post by mikbro » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:20 pm

In general you want the video to go through as few "processing" stages as possible. Given the FW for the echo is in it's infancy, I would leave the up/down converting to the video processing in your TV and set the echo to Native.

The downside to Echo - Native is it makes your TV switch resolutions. This resolution switch on some TVs can take a while and that may be annoying depending on your tv and your viewing habits (channel surfing for instance).

STC

Post by STC » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 pm

^ I have an LG in the bedroom where our Echo is, and it seems to change resolutions in the blink of an eye with no discernible flicker, therefore native mode works well for us.

Our Samsung in the lounge however....Ouch!
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123