[Services, WP7] WiFi Scan Not Working

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Oldmajor

HTPC Specs: Show details

[Services, WP7] WiFi Scan Not Working

Post by Oldmajor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 pm

I have never been able to successfully get wifi scan to recognize any of my devices (HTPC or Xbox 360 Extender). Port forwarding is correctly set up and the Companion Services program says it should work. However, the phone always returns an incorrect IP address that does not even include the port number, as a result I've always had to use manual entry to connect to my Media Center PC.

Im using Windows 7 32 bit, Nokia Lumia, ...8779.12223 firmware

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Unfortunately sometimes with certain routers and configurations the wi-fi scan might just not work. Through the beta process I would say about 85% were able to wi-fi scan, which is why we have the manual entry option in there.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Oldmajor

Post by Oldmajor » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:13 pm

Just as a followup I thought it would be worth mentioning that I have my HTPC and Xbox 360 conencted via a powerline adapter and not via wifi. Have you all done any testing with powerline ethernet adapters?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 pm

I believe Ed our PR guy here has powerline, but he also has like a comcast gateway and a router and it is all crazy.

If wi-fi scan doesn't work it is usually something with the wireless router blocking UDP scans/broadcasts or non-Windows firewall in place.

I setup a brand new router with DD-WRT on it for a friend and with the base settings it couldn't detect it. There are so many different configurations out there it is hard to test them all.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Post by ImTheTypeOfGuy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I just added the app and the services last night so I have the latest versions. I am using a pos iphone 4s so it may be the problem. Not only does the wifi scan not find any pc's or my three xbox's but it also won't let me manually add a computer. When I try to manually add it I select the Name field and type a name but nothing shows up in the field. This is the case for all the fields on the manual entry screen. I ran the diagnostic check and tested port forwarding and everything worked fine. Any thoughts.

PS Since my problem was similar I didn't open a new thread. Hopefully that is okay.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:34 pm

try to uninstall and reinstall the app. i have only see it once before with manual add. your xbox wont show up in that list, the show up when you start playback.. see http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=3825
I Write, Code, and Tweet

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Post by ImTheTypeOfGuy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Motz wrote:try to uninstall and reinstall the app. i have only see it once before with manual add. your xbox wont show up in that list, the show up when you start playback.. see http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =63&t=3825
That took care of it thanks. Thanks for the quick response.

Now its time to read up on my movies integration.