Sorry Ceton, have to bow out

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
jziggity

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sorry Ceton, have to bow out

Post by jziggity » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Like many of the posters here, I really want this device to work as it should. Unfortunately in my case, time is literally money. I purchased a new, custom built HTPC ($1450) for the primary purpose of supporting 2 Echo extenders. The secondary purpose of the computer was to replace a very well aged 10 year old desktop computer. I LOVE the computer - super fast, works great, couldn't be happier.

I did have a slight hiccup with the Ceton InfiniTV4 pci card that I had pre-installed with the computer. Initially Windows was only reporting one tuner. I left a message with Ceton support, and they called me back within a very reasonable period of time. As it happened to work out, I resolved the issue on my own right as they were calling me back. Either way, kudos to their customer support, that time around.

Enter the 2 Echos that I purchased. Neither will work properly with my slightly older (5.5 years) Panasonic plasma TV. Video is missing on some channels, even though the audio is working fine. I submitted a support ticket with the diagnostic data. Twice came the reply, "Make sure your TV is running the latest firmware." Twice I sent the response, "I did, and I am running the latest firmware." On their latest response, they want me to load the latest beta firmware onto the Echo and submit another diagnostic report to them again. Mind you this email conversation took place over at least a week. Pete and Repeat were in a boat...

My goal in ordering the HTPC and the Echos was to start saving money immediately by returning 1 cable company converter box and 1 cable DVR box. The monthly fee savings on just the 2 boxes total nearly $30, per month! So, the longer I wait for the Echos to work properly, the more $$$ I am out.

I LOVE the Ceton InfiniTV4 card, and I will probably get the Companion app. Like so many before me, the video interlacing issue, aside from the other missing video issue, makes the product unusable for me. I have to return them. I have already replaced them with 2 XBox's, and at a cost savings to boot. I got 1 XBox from Walmart, with a game, for $180. I picked up another bundled Knect system at Toys R Us for $200, which included 2 games, and I'm selling the Kinect games and receiver to a friend for $85. Net cost to me for 2 very smooth media extenders: roughly $305.00 after taxes. And I can play XBox games now!

Considering the time and frustration I've put into the Echos, and the significantly higher cost ($360), I have to send them packing. I DO like that the company acknowledges that they're not up to par, and that they're stating straight-up that they don't have any BS excuses. In my book, that means a lot, and will keep Ceton in good standing with me for future product purchases, even though the ball was dropped on this one.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Your loss.

Be ready for the Xboxes to die. I have an Xbox and used it for an extender; never played games so I was not taxing the electronics. I got the red ring of death and essentially bricked the Xbox. It cost me $100 to have it repaired by microsoft. Xboxes are also very LOUD.

zesta

Post by zesta » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:36 pm

fiteclub:

If you had a RROD, they you have an ancient Xbox 360. The new slim models are much better (and very quiet).

The Xbox extenders actually work, too, even on 1080i/p content, unlike the current stuttery mess that is the Echo.

I, too, hope Ceton gets things figured out quickly, but if not, an Xbox 360 (which can currently be had for ~$150 new) is a much better option.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:12 pm

Who wants to put an xBox on their kitchen counter to get Live/Recorded TV there?

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:21 pm

zesta
I have heard bad things about the slim models as well, but don't have first hand knowledge. My feeling is they are still undercooled and somewhat noisy (but you are right, not nearly as loud as my "classic" model"!). Yes they do 1080i/p content, but the Echo will too once the firmware is corrected. Run it in 720p for now and you will have no issues. Not sure where you are finding new Xboxes for 150.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:30 pm

My new XBox's are super-quiet, and run nice and cool. I also attempted the 720p setting on the Echos, which made no difference for me - the glaring video stutter was still there. I have both of the Xbox's in their respective entertainment centers, so no worries for me about having the bigger box either.

And the deals are out there for $150 - Walmart had them for this price on a "rollback," which I missed by just a couple of minutes.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:09 am

OK, jz then I gotta ask.....Why did you even buy an Echo??

720p works fine on the Echo, I have no issues.

olds403

Post by olds403 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:20 am

Looks like Ceton fixed the jitter/stutter from the comments made on other forums. With the extended warranty and newegg iron return policy time is on your side. Don't get me wrong mine is not working perfectly yet and my wife factor has zero patience for htpc / home network issues. Have two xboxes as well and once the bugs in the echo is fixed the tv experience with wmc and andriod will be game changer as seen with all the tv mini sticks like mini moto and the rk808's.

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:04 am

fiteclub wrote:OK, jz then I gotta ask.....Why did you even buy an Echo??

720p content was fine on the Echo, but you saw no issues watching live TV on a 1080i station like NBC, NFL Net, etc.? It WAS nearly impossible to watch for me. Today, 1080i content is much better. I need to watch a little more.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:39 pm

carljanderson wrote:

720p content was fine on the Echo, but you saw no issues watching live TV on a 1080i station like NBC, NFL Net, etc.? It WAS nearly impossible to watch for me. Today, 1080i content is much better. I need to watch a little more.
No; all my stations look fine when Echo is set to 720p. All the network stations, NBC,ABC,CBS,FOX and PBS. Also all cable channels that I have watched with system set to 720p are fine. Maybe I am not sensitive to it, but I certainly notice the issue with the Echo set to 1080p.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm

I was not in the market for another gaming system, at least, I didn't think I was. The size and power draw of the Echo is really what caught my attention in the first place. That, and I figured since this device had only one purpose, being a media extender, it would do its job and do it well.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 pm

jziggity wrote:

I was not in the market for another gaming system, at least, I didn't think I was. The size and power draw of the Echo is really what caught my attention in the first place. That, and I figured since this device had only one purpose, being a media extender, it would do its job and do it well.
JZ, I was one of the first folks to buy a Silicondust HDHomerun open QAM tuner several years ago. If I had your patience at that time, I would have sent it back in a heartbeat. Turns out, after several firmware releases, the HDHomerun works spectacularly (BTW, the same could be said of the InfiniTV). I never have to fiddle with it; it just works. All new technology has its hiccups and am sorry you will miss out on the Echo.

Cheers!

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah, I really wanted them to work right off the bat, but now I'm invested in the XBox's - so be it I guess. If for some reason I need a 3rd extender in the future (my 6 year old son doesn't need a TV in his room yet, me thinks), I'll check back here to see how it's going with the Echo. Who knows, maybe the price will drop by then. I'm sure a lot of kinks will be worked out too.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:24 am

Man did you pick a bad time to bail. The video issues have been resolved on my machine with the last beta firmware update. I'd keep them if I were you. :-)

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Ahhh crap. I haven't physically returned them yet. Maybe I'll plug them in one more time and give it a go. Now my problem is I have 2 Xbox's. *sigh*

STC

Post by STC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:05 pm

How much for one of your xboxes?! :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:23 pm

STC wrote:How much for one of your xboxes?! :)

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:08 am

Well, I guess I'm going to still return the Echos and keep the XBox's. My 6 year old son is already getting into the 1 game that came with one XBox setup. I just don't need 4 extenders. Go figure, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a new Echo, so I pre-ordered. Now I have a glut of extenders and have to send the extras back. Oh well. I'm guessing I may re-purchase in the future if I need more extenders, with the hope that just like the InfinitTV4 tuner card, the price will drop by then. Financially speaking it makes more sense to return the Echos now and get the $180 back for each of them than to hold on to them for a possible future deployment. Sorry to disappoint those looking for new Xbox's! :)