Play network stored recorded tv to extenders

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
jdhendrix

HTPC Specs: Show details

Play network stored recorded tv to extenders

Post by jdhendrix » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 am

After loading the latest companion services and still not being able to play recorded tv shows that are stored on my whs2011 box to my extenders, I've uninstalled companion services in hopes be able to have back the functionality of playing the stored shows to my extenders but have had no luck. The files show up for both my HTPC & by extenders and play properly on the HTCP but on the extenders I get "Application Failed...". I have uninstalled & reinstalled the extenders from both the HTPC and the units themselves, I've removed the libraries, restarted the HTCP & then reloaded the libraries that but to no success. Am I missing something or does anybody have any suggestions, of if I've missed a post regarding this I would greatly appreciate knowing where I should be looking?

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Hmmm interesting, did you enter the network credentials in the companion config under advanced -> network.

Some other things that others have tried:
1.) On WHS ensure that those files have correct permissions on extender
2.) On the Ceton Companion Services (computer management->services) you can try to enable "allow service to interact with desktop" or specify a user account.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

jdhendrix

Post by jdhendrix » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:11 am

I did have my network credential entered. Today I re-installed the stable Companion services, and reentered my network credentials. From the companion app I was able to launch a dvd movie that was stored on my WHS2011 box to my HTPC with no issue, but still when I attempt to locally play a recorded TV show on my extenders (X-box 360 or Echo) that is stored on the whs2011 box I get "APPLICATION FAILURE a critical Windows Media Center process has failed. Restart the computer and try again. If the problem persists, contact your hardware manufacturer for assistance."
I went and unistalled Companion services again, and I get the same behavior.

For comment 2) I tried both with Companion services installed an neither helped.

That leaves me with the WHS permissions.
I'm going to make a new folder on the whs box and add it to my HTPC library and see if that is of any help (I have tried a one other possible solution but it wasn't of any help [http://tobias-tobin.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... ess-to.html]).

So, Motz thank you for you suggestions, and I'll post where it goes from here. And if anybody has any suggestion I'll greatly appreciate them.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Definitely sounds a like a WHS permissions issue. Since the movie is visible then Ceton Companion Services has the proper credentials.

One thing to try is manually adding the share using explicit permissions on the Extender.

jdhendrix

Post by jdhendrix » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I finally found out the problem for this, so if anybody runs into this here's what I had to do, hopefully it helps.
The WHS the folder that contains the recorded tv shows had lost the media center computer permissions (not sure why they did). The user will be MC-"your media center computer name", so if your computer is called HTPC then you need to add the user MC-HTPC. I give this user full control of the recorded tv folder, less control maybe able to suffice. And that's it.

mikinho

Post by mikinho » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for following up.

There is also a scheduled task that you can run that will attempt to fix any permissions issues.