Registering volume button presses?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
tad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Registering volume button presses?

Post by tad » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 pm

I use VMCController to interface my media center (and now my Echos) with my home audio & automation system. I have developed custom software that interfaces with the TCP event sink port of VMCController. The event sink port reports whenever a button is pressed on the media center (or extender remote). However, on the Echos, VMCController does not report the volume up/down button presses. If the Echo registered these button presses (even if it wasn't set to do anything with them), developers could use the button presses to trigger other actions (like changing the volume of a specific zone of a distributed audio system).

Is there any way to get the Echo to register the volume button presses, even if it doesn't actually do anything with them?
I know this is a pretty specific request/problem - but I'm hoping someone has an idea or perhaps there's a simple flag that Ceton can toggle on their end. Frankly, it would be great to get the normal media center volume indicator to appear, too.

By the way, if you haven't looked at VMCController already you should definitely check it out: http://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/. Development is stale but I think there are at least 1 or 2 active forks. That said, the latest release works very well on x64 systems.