Controlling the XBOX Music App with a Harmony

orbs

HTPC Specs: Show details

Controlling the XBOX Music App with a Harmony

Post by orbs » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi! I'd love a way to control the Win8 XBOX Music app with my Harmony. At this point, I'd settle for the media keys on my MS Wireless Keyboard 3000 to work.

So far, play/pause on my harmony works but the skip/previous buttons do not.

None of the media keys on my keyboard seem to do anything (play, pause, stop, skip, previous - all do nothing).

My hardware/software is as such:
- MS Wireless Keyboard 3000
- Logitech Harmony One
- iMon IR software
- Harmony Remote software

I also have the IntelliType Pro drivers installed for the keyboard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

scyto

Post by scyto » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I will test tonight the standard MCE receiver and a harmony allowed me to move around the UI select etc.
The biggest issue is that back now appears to be the same as ESC not backspace. This means the back button didn't do anything.
I will test the playback buttons tonight.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:12 am

scyto wrote:I will test tonight the standard MCE receiver and a harmony allowed me to move around the UI select etc.
The biggest issue is that back now appears to be the same as ESC not backspace. This means the back button didn't do anything.
I will test the playback buttons tonight.
Do you have a button labeled 'Clear'? If so, does that function as back for you?

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:00 am

Right my Logitech dinovo blue tooth keyboard works just fine - volume, play, pause, stop, skip fwd and skip back.
Same with the harmony, works just fine on the now playing frame on the root music menu and in the fullscreen now playing.
The back button works to go from fullscreen playing to music menu screens.

If I am on the music selection page and I select a tile in all music the small popup window comes up listing the tracks. Neither the back button or the clear key do anything. It may be that clear is assigned to some other task, can't remember I made the little returning looped arrow be the back button on my harmony one.

On the dinovo only ESC exits the popup window. Guess I will need to map ESC to something on the harmony :-( for use with metro apps.

Oh I should have said, this is when the harmony is acting as an MCE remote NOT as a keyboard.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:14 pm

scyto wrote:Right my Logitech dinovo blue tooth keyboard works just fine - volume, play, pause, stop, skip fwd and skip back.
Same with the harmony, works just fine on the now playing frame on the root music menu and in the fullscreen now playing.
The back button works to go from fullscreen playing to music menu screens.

If I am on the music selection page and I select a tile in all music the small popup window comes up listing the tracks. Neither the back button or the clear key do anything. It may be that clear is assigned to some other task, can't remember I made the little returning looped arrow be the back button on my harmony one.

On the dinovo only ESC exits the popup window. Guess I will need to map ESC to something on the harmony :-( for use with metro apps.

Oh I should have said, this is when the harmony is acting as an MCE remote NOT as a keyboard.
If you get a good working key layout for the Start Screen post the set up/key maps here por favor.

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:51 pm

staknhalo wrote:
If you get a good working key layout for the Start Screen post the set up/key maps here por favor.
Not sure I understand, I did nothing but configure the harmony to control a media center (XP IIRC) - it has worked ever since on Win7 and Win8 and on the Win8 Metro XBOX music app.
No special layout or anything - only thing to add is the ESC command to a key (or put it on the harmony digital screen).
Happy to supply something if you can tell me what you want and from where?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm

scyto wrote:
staknhalo wrote:
Not sure I understand, I did nothing but configure the harmony to control a media center (XP IIRC) - it has worked ever since on Win7 and Win8 and on the Win8 Metro XBOX music app.
No special layout or anything - only thing to add is the ESC command to a key (or put it on the harmony digital screen).
Happy to supply something if you can tell me what you want and from where?
I meant if you find a layout that can work well across all Metro apps. But it sounds like you're gonna stick with just Xbox Music only in regards to Metro apps so you can disregard this. I thought you were gonna keep playing with the layout to get it working globally on the start screen.

orbs

Post by orbs » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 am

Hi guys. It's great that you both have your remotes working for the modern windows apps but for some reason my remote doesn't seem to do anything other than emulate the arrow keys (move selection in Start and scroll left/right within an app). Also, my keyboard's media keys don't work either.

Any ideas for troubleshooting this? Thanks!

orbs

Post by orbs » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 am

Bump. Any ideas? Thank you!