Problems with Hauppauge HVR-1850 PCIe

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
KyleSTL

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problems with Hauppauge HVR-1850 PCIe

Post by KyleSTL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:37 pm

I have had a Media Center computer for over four years now, and around 6 months ago I started getting random errors when watching TV (and sometimes when recording programs). At first it was only with the analog tuner (Charter Basic and Expanded cable). The audio would become glitchy (cutting out sometimes, going to a buzzing noise other times) and the picture would go almost entirely green and pixelated. It also sometimes would lock up and the computer would become unresponsive. These problems used to only occur after hours of watching TV, and the time became shorter. Currently, it may only show picture for a couple seconds (if that). My other card (HVR-1600) has worked flawlessly this whole time.

I contacted Hauppauge and they exchanged my card for free (even though it was over 4 years old). The replacement card exhibited the same behavior. Upon Hauppauge's suggestion, I installed it in another computer to see if it works, and it worked flawlessly for multiple hours (in the HTPC it would only work for a couple seconds at the most). I've tried every permutation of drivers, software and components I can possible think of between my desktop and HTPC and none of the configurations allowed the HTPC to use the 1850 without errors. Hauppauge support said they would not replace the card since it functions fine in a different configuration, and said the issue was likely a grounding issue.

Here's my HTPC configuration:

Zotac 7100 supreme MB
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
ATi HD5670 (HIS)
HVR-1600 PCI
HVR-1850 PCIe
2x WD 640GB Blue SATA

Help, I have no idea what to do.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:16 pm

A problem that gets worse over a couple of hours could be heat related, and it's possible that excessive heat in the past has damaged the hardware to the extent that it's more sensitive now.

Chasing heat problems can be a bit like herding cats - something might appear to work that isn't really addressing the root cause. You should definitely make sure that airflow isn't obstructed, and that all fans are working properly.

What happens if you take the HD5670 out and use the onboard 7100 graphics?

KyleSTL

Post by KyleSTL » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 pm

"What happens if you take the HD5670 out and use the onboard 7100 graphics?"

Same issue. Also tried the HD3670 that is in my desktop. Same.

I believe cooling is adequate. Here's my case design:

Antec NSK2480
2x Scythe Slipstream 800 RPM
Scythe Mini Ninja with Scythe 1500 RPM 80mm Kama Flex
Enermax Liberty 400W PSU

It very well could be temperature (Northbridge, maybe?). I also tried to run with the onboard graphics and the HVR-1850 in the PCIe 16x slot (instead of the 1 PCIe 1x). I was not able to get the computer to boot with that configuration (blue screen and windows startup repair multiple times). Do you think it may help to clean and reinstall the NB cooler (Newegg link to MB) with fresh AS5. Is this likely a losing battle where I will almost definitely need to replace the MB (and by extension - CPU, memory)?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 pm

I don't know of any straightforward way of diagnosing this sort of problem (unless you have access to all sorts of specialized test hardware), and realistically, even if you diagnosed it, you probably couldn't fix it.

KyleSTL

Post by KyleSTL » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 pm

I believe you were right. I replaced the motherboard (Asus H77) and CPU (Intel Core i3 3225) and threw in 8GB of Corsair memory and everything seems to be fine with both tuners. Shouldn't have any problems with heat anymore, since the CPU, GPU, and NB are all being actively cooled with the Mini Ninja. The HD 4000 graphics seem to be handling everything I do flawlessly, so no point in putting the 5670 back in. My desktop is running extremely well with the upgrades (3670 -> 5670 and E5200 -> E8500) afforded by the HTPC replacements. Thanks for your help, foxwood.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:57 pm

It sounds like I just encouraged you to do what you wanted to do anyway :D