Limited choice of tuners available - any suggestions?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
xyphocles

HTPC Specs: Show details

Limited choice of tuners available - any suggestions?

Post by xyphocles » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:42 am

Hi I am throwing out an old PC & replacing it with a small form factor one that has NO PCI slots. This means my old PCI hauppage winTV has got to go.

I need only:
SD recording from audio/composite video (we have cable tv here, but its a proprietary box so no tuner needed)
IR blasting
**WINDOWS 7 MCE** (Not XP or Vista)

I HAVE:
Windows 7 MCE
Old MS IRBlaster that came with the PCI hauppage winTV bundle from 2007.

-> Missing USB Capture device compatible with MCE Win7

Now: I'm in Singapore and here noone know or cares about HTPCs or MCE. The few people & sites have long dissapeared :(

SOme random old-looking boxes I have found in local resellers include:

Avermedia AVerTV Hybrid Ultra USB *I dont need the tuner *I cannot see any confirmation it works with win7 mce.
Hauppage WinTV hvr-900 (Not Q!) *I dont need the tuner *I see the Q verson works on MCE, but not sure about this one... also Win7?

Can anyone suggest
a) Will either of these work with Win7 MCE?
b) Is there something cheaper I can use just for video capture - since I can reuse my old MS IrBlaster kit and have no use for a tuner?

MANY THANKS!!!!

Regards to all from Singapore.

><p.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:27 pm

See here and here.

xyphocles

Post by xyphocles » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:18 pm

Thanks Richard, but I already had *windows*compatibility data that was not what I was asking... It is no use to me if it does not work with win7 mce and manufacturer sites have mce specific downloads that do not state win7 mce. For eg using proprietary software in win7 instread of mce is not an option.
so can anyone give me some more specific info on these or other non tuner A/V input devices that will work with win7mce?

When I say mce I guess I mean media centre. Since in win7 there is no media centre edition.. the key is I need to brinuse media centre on win7 with z USB capture device.

Thanks again
Xp.
richard1980 wrote:See here and here.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 pm

There is no separation of compatibility between Windows and WMC. Any TV tuner that is compatible with Windows 7 will work in WMC.