Hello HTPC World

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
WindowsHTPC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Hello HTPC World

Post by WindowsHTPC » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 am

Please grizzled vets ignore this.

But I have been on other boards and personally I like when newbies post a hello world post before asking for vague help like "my tuner isn't working what should I do?" heh.

I recently stepped into the HTPC arena after MANY YEARS of thinking about it. What kept me from doing it... I wanted to be able to record copy protected shows in HD... At least 720p with OLD hardware. I didn't want my HTPC to be faster than my work rig. I am using a core 2 duo e6400 CPU and 4GB of RAM for my HTPC... My main rig is an i7 with 6GB...

I am using the ceton infiniTV PCI-e card and a SA cable card from TWC (cincinnati)

So far I am loving it... yeah it took me a few days to figure stuff out. I've never used windows media center. PLUS I decided to rub salt in my wounds and do it all on windows 8. Yeah it's a challenge... but I am I really gonna skip to win9 in 4 years? Sure win8 is different and isn't compatible with everything yet... but it's SUPER fast. And just a better built OS than windows 7.

The modern interface is... interesting. It's not very usable on a desktop system... But it's brand new. The windows store is cool. And it isn't going anywhere. You can't use windows 7 forever. So I figured I'd jump.

You may wonder why my user name is WindowsHTPC... well... I MIGHT start (err continue) a blog/twitter. I figured I could help out a few other early adopters... and more importantly... they could help ME! heh But I am still on the fence. A new twitter/blog is a HUGE time suck. I've got my iron in more fires than I care to think about. But I am loving my new HTPC... so maybe I will continue. Heck I know my friends and family don't want to hear about me installing beta firmwares and drivers.

twitter
https://twitter.com/WindowsHTPC

blog
http://windowshtpc.com/

like I said... it could all get deleted tomorrow... but maybe I will stick with it. I've taken LOTS of pics of the process... would be a shame to waste them.

ok. my head hurts, I am going to watch some TV and pass out on the couch.

leroys1000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by leroys1000 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 pm

I am running windows 8 on my old dual core socket 939 system.:)
I have my antec veris elite VFD running and remote working so
I can use the remote on the metro start screen.
Got a switch to desktop and media center shortcut in the startup folder
so it boots to live TV.
All in all,runs pretty good for an old system.
You got me beat.