InfiniTV Signal Loss & Pixelation Problems

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kc10boom

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV Signal Loss & Pixelation Problems

Post by kc10boom » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:48 pm

The cable guy tested the line and said it was good. I've tried two computers and have the same problem of the cable channel pixelating and cutting out with a signal loss issue. It happens frequently. I'll try changing the cable out to the cable card, and the card has the latest firmware. Any help is always appreciated. I'm currently using my gaming rig to the TV which is overkill so I know it isn't lack of horsepower. Windows 7 Pro.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:35 pm

Keep in mind that what the cable tech says is acceptable for their cable box may not be acceptable for your Ceton Tuner.
Read here on acceptable signal strength for your Ceton Tuner : http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... -explained

Tune the channel you are having problems with..
Go to the MC main Menu and select the Ceton Diagnostic
Click on the Tuners button.. and find the tuner that has tuned the "problem channel"

check the SNR and Signal Levels.. see if they are within Ceton's specs.. If not you need to get the comcast guy out to adjust the signal levels.

Have you also launched the Ceton Diagnostic from the Windows Desktop to see if the Ceton firmware and software is up to date?

I am running the latest "stable" firmware/software from here currently without issue.. http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/b ... er-update/

newfiend~

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:48 am

Thanks for that info. I followed those guides and my signal level on many channel is -12.8 to -13.5 on many of the HD channels I'm having problems with...I think there may be too many splitters, though an easier fix my doing an amplifier before crawling up into the attic

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:19 am

That signal level is a bit on the low side, but should still be workable - it depends on SNR though. What is your SNR on an affected channel? Have you opened a support ticket with us?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

werds

Post by werds » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:14 am

kc10boom wrote:Thanks for that info. I followed those guides and my signal level on many channel is -12.8 to -13.5 on many of the HD channels I'm having problems with...I think there may be too many splitters, though an easier fix my doing an amplifier before crawling up into the attic
My signal levels were around the same and I tuned in most channels but got the pixelation regularly. I didn't notice until Comcast added a few HD channels and I would intermittently pull some down while other times get no signal on those channels. That is when I learned about how the signal drops at the Infinitv - where you have to treat that lil pig tail going in as it's own 4 way splitter (hence the signal needs to be higher than a standard cable box at the point it comes into the InfinTV)

For me removing all unneccesary splitters and adding a single drop amp at entry point resolved it completely! (Note I went through 4 different truck rolls before a tech realized that was the issue - and he admitted to never having dealt with a Ceton system prior, he just seemed to listen and understand better than the other installers I guess?)

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:06 pm

You mean the entry point at the house? I was thinking of putting it at the connection before it goes to my TV. The amp doesn't require power does it?

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:22 pm

I bought a Rocketfish cable amplifier at Best Buy. It brought all my signal levels from -12.8 up to -8.5 to -7.0. It cured all the problems. The cable guy said all of my bedrooms cable drops are hot. I'm sure there are extra splitters in the attic, because this house had AT&T , then DirectTV, and now Cox so it wouldn't surprise me the cables could be cleaned up in the attic but if this fixes the problem then I'm happy :)

The SNR is usually an average of 34

werds

Post by werds » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:39 am

Yes at point of entry. I have tested using an amp right in fronto of the infinitv and at the point of entry. They both work but they have subtle differences.

Even though you are boosting digital if you boost the signal just before the infinitv you are boosting a degraded signal. You can still get good signal but it will lead to occasional pixellation and stutter, and I mean so occasional you might not notice it. I usually notice it on recordings as our household records a lot of stuff.

When you put the amp at point of entry you are boosting an already good and strong signal so by the time it makes it to the infinitv it may be similar to having it boostes near the infinitv, except you are more likely to have a clean signal with less degradation.

I may just be "seeing" things but that is my experience. Yes I use powered amps :)

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:57 am

Well I thought I was all set, but I was having problems with Comedy Central and CMTV on Cox. I put an amp right at the entry point, and the signal strength was -2.0. It still didn't affect those channels. Comedy Central I couldn't get at all, CMTV had bad pixilation and loss of signal often. I'm going to submit a ticket to Ceton first and see what they say.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 pm

So how has it turned out for you? Any resolution?

AJ1952

Post by AJ1952 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:35 am

Does that amp work with switched digital video?