Nintendo TVii- a DVR for everyone?

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
makryger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Nintendo TVii- a DVR for everyone?

Post by makryger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Intriguing news regarding the new Nintento Wii U- it will include DVR functionality, where you input your username and password from your cable company, and it will populate with your DVRed shows... I wonder how this will work. It's certainly an interesting new way of eliminating some Set Top boxes for a nicer interface...

Box will retail for $300 USD.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/13/nint ... -carriers/
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:26 pm

I am already sold on WiiU, but i'm a nintendo fanboy and buy everything. I will buy the premium $350 one for sure, kind of a no brainer IMHO.

The TVii is interesting though. I love the idea. Obviously they only showed TiVo though :( which makes sense from a nintendo stand point as it is probably the easiest to integrate with. I have a feeling WMC will not be added to this list of supported DVRS :(
I Write, Code, and Tweet

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Motz wrote:I am already sold on WiiU, but i'm a nintendo fanboy and buy everything. I will buy the premium $350 one for sure, kind of a no brainer IMHO.
I'm not quite as excited about the wiiU as I was about the original Wii- they really hit that out of the park... and its become a gaming machine, but useful for some of my rehab patients working with balance boards or sports and such. But I feel like the WiiU isn't as revolutionary as the first one was.
Motz wrote:The TVii is interesting though. I love the idea. Obviously they only showed TiVo though :( which makes sense from a nintendo stand point as it is probably the easiest to integrate with. I have a feeling WMC will not be added to this list of supported DVRS :(
It'll depend on how they implement it whether it can be successful or not, and whether dvr-ms files will be supported. It's certainly a better model than what Google TV was trying to do. Of course, if they did add WMC, then thats more competition for Ceton- you wouldn't want that would you ;)
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 am

so I guess they are using www.i.tv so i guess that is a pretty good platform. A bit odd...

Yeah I was at PAX and saw WiiU... then went to the WiiU Experience here in Seattle. Both events I really didn't play it at all, mostly because I didnt' want to stand in line... and I am like I'mma just buy it anyways.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:45 am

I'm not sure I get this... You still need a TiVo or the DVR from the cable company. I guess the Wii U can function as a sort of universal extender, with a really funky interface, both onscreen and physical?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:00 am

It is a bit funny because I am watching the full press conference now and their demo is basically my demo from CES...
I Write, Code, and Tweet

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 am

crawfish wrote:I'm not sure I get this... You still need a TiVo or the DVR from the cable company. I guess the Wii U can function as a sort of universal extender, with a really funky interface, both onscreen and physical?
It's not that. It's the convergence of an app and an IR remote. Do Not Want. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzIJlkQf2P4

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:48 am

Looks like poo to me.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:49 am

^ HAH! Fantastic :)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:53 am

I don't think i will buy it for this as I have tons of other devices that do it, but it is a nice touch.

I will get a wiiU for mario (i played it and it is amazing). Rayman is pretty cool as well... and then pikmin... oh yeah.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 pm

So it's not TVii yet, but you can setup your WiiU to control WMC: http://thedigitalmediazone.com/2012/11/ ... ntrol-wmc/
I Write, Code, and Tweet