Random Loss of Control on Xbox session since SmartGlass

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
bencjedi

HTPC Specs: Show details

Random Loss of Control on Xbox session since SmartGlass

Post by bencjedi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi, this is my first post to this forum, but it looks like the best place to ask for some help. I am having an interesting problem with my Xbox 360 used as a media center extender. Ever since the SmartGlass update a couple or so weeks ago when I start up Media Center on my Xbox neither my OEM Xbox controller that came with the system or the older style MCE remote I bought a couple months ago will do anything as far as being able to navigate the interface. The left, right, up, down arrows, x, y, a, b, buttons are not responsive, nothing works except the Xbox button that brings up the main menu to get out of MCE back to the dashboard.

I can eventually get MCE loaded up with the remote\controller working as normal, but it requires turning my Xbox on and off and relaunching MCE for 2-3 times. I have even tried to use SmartGlass on my iPhone to control MCE when it is in this control-less state and nothing happens, other than said Xbox menu button. I recently replaced my old Dlink DIR-655 router with an Asus RT-N66U router and that has given me issues with Xbox Live (even on the DMZ, so I opened all the ports Microsoft said to and I always have to test connection before I can sign into Xbox Live, but it works). I don't suppose this has anything to do with my control issue, but you never know.

I did not have this problem at all before this SmartGlass introduction. Anyone else? I tried googling the problem and it would appear I am the only one experiencing this control problem in the Xbox MCE extender experience. :(

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 am

Found when starting MCE if I continue to tap on the right directional pad of the MCE remote then when the interface comes up I have control. I guess I need to do that every time. It must be giving a pulse on startup so it continues to recognize the remote\control is there.

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:19 pm

I have an rt-n66u and had to do no manual port forwarding of any kind nor should you if you have upnp enabled which is the default. You may also try disabling playto and smartglass on the xbox. Try checking the support.asus.com site for the updated firmware. Lastly you may need to do a factory reset of your console and re-configure it. Also try breaking the extender connection with the PC and redo it.

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:27 am

Thanks nuclearxp for the info. So no need to put my Xbox in the DMZ or open all those ports to it? Just uPnP on (the default) should be all I need? Every time I turn my statically-IP'd Xbox I have to do a test connection in order to sign into Xbox Live otherwise I get a NAT error (says moderate).

When I first got The RT-N66U I had to redo the extender connection every day because the IP kept changing on my Xbox. I found the setting in the DHCP area of the router to allow some static sets and gave the Xbox one. Then on the Xbox I also statically set the IP just in case. It seems this fixed that problem. I have my entertainment system including Xbox on a power strip that I flip the rocker switch on when I want to use it and off when I don't. I found doing this everywhere in the house has cut down my electric bill, so I desire to keep doing it. I suspect the Xbox isn't thrilled about it. I don't know the proper way to power it down, so I've just been flipping the power strip switch and walking away.

I should update the firmware of the router. It's annoying to have to test the connection every time to sign into Xbox Live. As for the control problem though, the tapping thing seems to avoid that problem. If uPnP is suppose to handle the Xbox and the NAT thing without me using port forwarding, then I want to do that. I had to give up port 80 to my streaming audio server I run on my main PC and now at work I am unable to connect to that because the network guys block port 8080 sites which my server is now running on (I can get around it by establishing a VPN to my router at home, which is what I have been doing)

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Is your IP range of your XBOX, router, and modem all in the same subnet range e.x. 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X? If not you will get issues as you are experiencing.

Also depending on the type of modem you have, if it isn't properly configured to be a bridge rather than serving as a DHCP server, you'll also experience NAT issues.

From the WAN section of your config, "/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp", make sure "Enable NAT" and "Enable UPNP" are "Yes".

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:18 pm

nuclearxp wrote:Is your IP range of your XBOX, router, and modem all in the same subnet range e.x. 192.168.0.X or 192.168.1.X? If not you will get issues as you are experiencing.

Also depending on the type of modem you have, if it isn't properly configured to be a bridge rather than serving as a DHCP server, you'll also experience NAT issues.

From the WAN section of your config, "/Advanced_WAN_Content.asp", make sure "Enable NAT" and "Enable UPNP" are "Yes".
Yep every machine\device on my LAN is on 192.168.1.XX (router is 192.168.1.1) except the modem. The Motorola modem is on 192.168.100.1. There are no configurable options with my modem. I do see this in the log: Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
The modem uses DHCP to get the WAN IP from Time Warner.
The only option I have in the modem config is to restore factory settings and since there's no user-configurable options there's no way to change anything. The bottom of the modem pages say copyright 2004. Hopefully I don't need to buy a new router (or worse, rent one from TWC).

Just noticed that in troubleshooting I must have set the enable UPNP to 'no' (because I opened all the ports Microsoft said to open). Tonight I will turn that to yes and remote the port forwarding and see if that makes a difference.

I think I need to update the firmware on the router. One weird thing I had to do in order to make VPN work was not only set it up on the router VPN section, but I also had to open ports 1723 and 47 (configured for router's IP). I believe just having the VPN config in the VPN section should be all that is needed, but adding the specifics for port forwarding ports needed to be added or else it wouldn't work.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:30 pm

You have a "double NAT setup" - your traffic gas to be NATted through your ASUS router, and then NATted again through your modem. You either need to put the modem in "bridge mode", or just use the modem as the sole DHCP and NAT device - connect the ASUS to the cable modem using one of the LAN ports on the ASUS, not the WAN port. (you might as well just use a switch, unless you need the wi-fi functions of the ASUS). You might get away with putting the ASUS in the DMZ of the cable modem, (and using the WAN port of the ASUS to connect to the modem), but your best be would be to put the canle modem in Bridged mode.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:43 pm

By the way, I should make it clear that my network suggestion doesn' have anything to do with your SmartGlass problems - I don't know what's going on there, and I don't why your network configuration should make any difference.

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Hi foxwood. Unfortunately my cable modem must be too old to have the features you describe. There literally is only one button for restore factory defaults. No bridged mode, no nothing, just diagnostic\status, MAC address info page, signal page and logging page.
The modem has no capability to hand out IPs to devices on the LAN. It only is hard-coded to use DHCP from the provider (in My case Time Warner) to get the WAN IP.
:(

Funny how the crappy Dlink DIR-655 router I replaced the ASUS with had absolutely no problems with Xbox Live or Media Center, but it's wifi signal was weak and that's why I replaced it (iPhone 5 couldn't keep a solid wifi connection everywhere in my house and it was driving me crazy).

Yes this has nothing to do with the control issue, but I brought it up in the off chance it did. I heard TWC may offer faster speed packages in my neighborhood and I would need a DOCSIS 3.0 modem for that, so it may be inevitable that I replace my archaic non-configurable modem.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:07 pm

There's probably a way to set the modem in Bridged Mode, it's just not made available in the consumer accessible configuration interface (if you google the model number, you'll probably find the details).

But as I said, I don't know whether it has any relevance to your SmartGlass problem.

nuclearxp

Post by nuclearxp » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 am

My modem has the exact same 100.1 address and everything else is on 0.X and I have zero connection issues with 3 xboxes. When you disable upnp the xbox can no longer open the ports it needs on its own.

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:26 am

nuclearxp wrote:My modem has the exact same 100.1 address and everything else is on 0.X and I have zero connection issues with 3 xboxes. When you disable upnp the xbox can no longer open the ports it needs on its own.
Upgraded firmware of the router to 3.0.0.4.260 and no change.

Turned on uPnP while deleting all the port forwarding config on the router, from a cold start I powered on the Xbox,could not connect to XBL and got the NAT error\moderate detected message when I ran a 'test connection'. It's like uPnP is not doing a dang thing for me.

Turned off uPnP
I then put the Xbox IP in the DMZ, failed at first, then test connection was success all around and signed in XBL just fine. Same behavior as just port forwarding the ports as I had set before.

According to this post:
http://forums.techguy.org/5202403-post10.html
the reason I don't have an option to set my modem in bridged mode is because the ISP can dictate that and evidently Time Warner does not want me to mess with it.

This is the modem I own: http://www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions ... .resources

All in all yes my setup works, but I shouldn't have to try to connect to XBL, have it fail, do a test connection, have a success and then sign-in to XBL successfully every time I turn my home theater power strip on (right?).

As far as the loss of control, I am like 10 for 10 by tapping the right control key on my MCE remote as the 'contacting' screen is up on the Xbox (the one with the dots on the bottom). As long as I tape some directional pad key every second or so, Media Center comes up with full control to the interface. Weird, but whatever!

nuclearxp, I just realized something.. on my old Dlink router I was using 192.168.0.XX for my LAN and with this router it defaulted to 192.168.1.XX, perhaps I should change my subnet for my LAN to use 192.168.0.XX like before. I suppose it is worth a shot. That would be ridiculous if it works, but here's crossing my fingers anyway.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:46 pm

bencjedi wrote:According to this post:
the reason I don't have an option to set my modem in bridged mode is because the ISP can dictate that and evidently Time Warner does not want me to mess with it.
Thanks - I think I came across a windstream DSL modem with a similar configuration once.

As long as your DLink or ASUS router is getting a proper routable WAN address (not a 192.168.100.x address, even though the cable model is responding to 192.168.100.1) then that paragraph that I wrote about "double NAT" is irrelevant.

(And I still don't have anything to add about your Smartglass problem - sorry).

bencjedi

Post by bencjedi » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

foxwood wrote:
bencjedi wrote:According to this post:
Thanks - I think I came across a windstream DSL modem with a similar configuration once.

As long as your DLink or ASUS router is getting a proper routable WAN address (not a 192.168.100.x address, even though the cable model is responding to 192.168.100.1) then that paragraph that I wrote about "double NAT" is irrelevant.

(And I still don't have anything to add about your Smartglass problem - sorry).
And you know every time I power up the Xbox and try to sign-in on XBL I get an error right away, then I test connection and all 3 steps are successful, then can sign in like a champ and go about my business shooting up other players in Black Ops 2. The fact I have to do it every time is annoying, but hey, it works even though it doesn't make sense.

And no issue with the control\Smart Glass as long when MCE is launching I simply tap some buttons on the remote.

My Xbox is quirky, but at least my workarounds work (and seem to consistently work thus far)