Clear QAM is in standard definition

matt6ft9

HTPC Specs: Show details

Clear QAM is in standard definition

Post by matt6ft9 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 am

I have a Hauppauge, HVR-2250 card. (dual NTSC and dual clear QAM) My signal is from the cable company, regular analog and clear QAM. I had been running Windows 7 Media Center and the clear QAM channels were in high definition. When I changed to Windows 8 (with a fresh install of Win 8), the Clear QAM channels are no longer in high definition. I'm using the same driver version of the HVR-2250 in Windows 8 as I was in Windows 7. (The WinTV program also has the clear QAM in low definition)
How can I get the clear QAM channels in high definition in Win8?
Matt

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:07 am

You did a fresh install, which means you did TV setup again.

Are you sure you're looking at digital channels and not analog channels?

Your cable company no doubt is sending both SD and HD versions of at least some channels. Are you sure you just haven't found the HD versions in your new TV setup and channel scan?

This would not at all be a function of Windows 8...

matt6ft9

Post by matt6ft9 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:07 am

Yes, I'm sure they are are digital channels: 15.3, 15.110, etc. I also have the analog channels, 2, 3, 4, etc. (It's easy to tell the visual difference between analog channels, digital standard definition, and high definition)

All of the clear QAM channels the cable company sends out are also on the analog channels. I map the clear QAM channels to the TV listings for the analog channels.

It makes no sense to me why the clear QAM channels would be in standard definition. (I can use my TV to see that 15.3 is in 1080i) Also, I still have windows 7 on a secondary hard drive, and the digital channels come in HD.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:53 pm

Sometimes the cable company sends both SD and HD QAM signals on two different frequencies. MCE will combine those two signals into one guide listing if the callsign is the same.

So go into Edit Channel/Edit Sources and see if thats the case. Then its a simple matter to split the SD channel apart or disable it entirely.