Scan for unencrypted QAM with ATI Digital Cable Tuner

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
slayer3600

HTPC Specs: Show details

Scan for unencrypted QAM with ATI Digital Cable Tuner

Post by slayer3600 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:07 pm

Is there software to scan for unencrypted QAM channels using the ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner? I know this can be done with the HDHomerun, but I couldn't find conversations about doing this with the ATI Digital Cable Tuner. I'd like to do a scan using my ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner and figure out what is available unencrypted.

There is the digital cable diagnostics tool: http://experts.windows.com/windows_medi ... 51891.aspx, it performs a scan, but doesn't tell you the encryption level of each channel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

werds

Post by werds » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:57 am

slayer3600 wrote:Is there software to scan for unencrypted QAM channels using the ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner? I know this can be done with the HDHomerun, but I couldn't find conversations about doing this with the ATI Digital Cable Tuner. I'd like to do a scan using my ATI TV Wonder Digital Cable Tuner and figure out what is available unencrypted.

There is the digital cable diagnostics tool: http://experts.windows.com/windows_medi ... 51891.aspx, it performs a scan, but doesn't tell you the encryption level of each channel.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I am assuming you want to test out and find out what channels are available without having to reset your whole WMC setup? Mines came with a disc that included tuner software. You could run that and check to see what channels it picked up without messing up your WMC setup. OR you could download Guide tool, backup your lineup and run the WMC TV setup and it will give you a list of how many and the specific channels the ATI tuner can pull in - since it will only list the ones that are unecrypted and capable of pulling in.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Windows Media Center can do this, but is there a reason you aren't using a CableCARD and avoiding the need to scan?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

slayer3600

Post by slayer3600 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:01 pm

Exactly, I'm looking to ditch the digital cable/cable card and the bill that goes with it. I have seperate cable internet service provided by my employer (I work from home) and I understand some folks have had success getting unencryted QAM from their cable internet line. Before doing this, I wanted to scan for unencrypted channels to see what (if anything) is available. I don't think I have the disc that came with the tuner, but based of what you guys are saying it sounds like I can use the native scanner in WMC to do this.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 am

slayer3600 wrote:Exactly, I'm looking to ditch the digital cable/cable card and the bill that goes with it. I have seperate cable internet service provided by my employer (I work from home) and I understand some folks have had success getting unencryted QAM from their cable internet line. Before doing this, I wanted to scan for unencrypted channels to see what (if anything) is available. I don't think I have the disc that came with the tuner, but based of what you guys are saying it sounds like I can use the native scanner in WMC to do this.
The cable operators consider what you are proposing theft of service, and most also put filters on the line to block this.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:07 am

Not to mention the FCC just authorized the encryption of the basic tier, so whatever channels are broadcast unencrypted today may not remain unencrypted much longer. Plus most cable companies only have a handful of channels unencrypted anyway...depending on your provider, you may not get much more than locals and shopping channels. You'd probably be better off switching to an ATSC tuner.

slayer3600

Post by slayer3600 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:36 am

Well I performed the scan on my cable internet line and the results are interesting. I found that not only are my local channels available via unencrypted QAM, so are several surprises like CNN, TBS, and ESPN. I understand this is a fine line, but how could the 'cable operators' consider this theft? I did not perform any tampering or modification, I simply hooked up a legal QAM tuner to a line they provide...they are the ones delivering a service I didn't ask for.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

slayer3600 wrote:Well I performed the scan on my cable internet line and the results are interesting. I found that not only are my local channels available via unencrypted QAM, so are several surprises like CNN, TBS, and ESPN. I understand this is a fine line, but how could the 'cable operators' consider this theft? I did not perform any tampering or modification, I simply hooked up a legal QAM tuner to a line they provide...they are the ones delivering a service I didn't ask for.
It is theft because in your contract it probably says that it is only for the high speed internet and NOT for TV services.

In some areas cable providers may be required by law to offer an internet only option. It may be too expensive for the cable co to use other means to block you from recieving the TV signal since it may affect your neighbors...

Unfortunately it is thinking like this that gives the cable companies fodder to go to the FCC to ask for encrypting everything.

An analogy might be like a car rental. Some rentals can be for "unlimited milege" but restricted to only certain states. If you drive outside the restricted area you can be charged with Grand Theft Auto, and of course if pulled over or get in an accident you are fully responsible for everything.....
Time is on my side.

slayer3600

Post by slayer3600 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 pm

TeddyR wrote:An analogy might be like a car rental. Some rentals can be for "unlimited milege" but restricted to only certain states. If you drive outside the restricted area you can be charged with Grand Theft Auto, and of course if pulled over or get in an accident you are fully responsible for everything.....
Using your same anology, I go to rent a car and want a compact...but they give me a full size because a compact is not available. Certainly I am not liable for theft when they give me more than what I ask for.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 am

When you want to rent a compact car but the rental company gives you a full-size instead, they are giving you explicit permission to drive the full-size car. When you pay for internet service only and the cable company delivers TV signals to your home, they are not giving you explicit permission to utilize the TV service. If you read the terms of service, you'll likely find a provision that prohibits what you wish to do, either by prohibiting the connection of the cable line to unauthorized equipment or prohibiting using the service to consume the cable company's TV service.

Another way to look at it: If you pay for a digital cable package but you don't pay for HBO, the cable company still transmits HBO to your home. Sure, it's probably encrypted, but the signal is still being sent to your home. You didn't ask for it, but they are still sending it to you. This does not give you the right to break the decryption or otherwise consume the HBO signal without paying for it.

If you think it's not theft of service, I suggest you contact your cable company and discuss it with them. I can almost guarantee you they will tell you it is theft of service.