No Service Available

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
werds

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Service Available

Post by werds » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Ok, I know this is likely not enough information but I am posting it just in case someone has seen similar happen to them. I am currently NOT at home with the HTPC so I cannot implement, troubleshoot, or provide more information than what I provide here until further time.

So last night I went to bed around midnight and all was well with the HTPC, this morning I wake up and turn on ESPN2HD on an extender and no problems, or so it seems, a few minutes later my wife comes up with a puzzled look. She says "Oh, you got the tv working?" I ask what she meant and she told me the Disney channel and others around it wouldn't tune in. So I checked and she was right!

So before I jet off for work I take a quick look at the menus to see what might be the culprit... Some of the channels like Disney Junior for example show a -19db signal! Other channels in the same HD range (800 series channels) show a +10db signal. Checked the cable card diagnostic pages in WMC and in the Ceton diag center and the Cable card appears paired, authorized and functioning properly.

The message on the channels not tuning in states simply that Service is Unavailable. Note, this is different than the Weak TV Signal message that pops up when we have a service outage. Again it was odd though that my HD ESPN channels were tuning in perfectly fine (and note these are NOT clearQAM channels) while a host of others claimed no service available... On the way in to work called comcast to double check there were no service outages and they claim signal is perfectly fine but without me troubleshooting they cannot do more...

So does anyone have a likely suspect or something I should note/look at when I get home? Or will this be the standard run around because the problem likely exists on Comcasts end? And, yes I plan on re-running tv tuner setup when I get home just to make sure that isn't the issue...

werds

Post by werds » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:00 am

Well, came home, used the ceton diag tool to clear tuners, reset tuners, re-ran setup in WMC several times, uninstalled the infintv4 reinstalled, unsintalled drivers and utilities, reinstalled... unplugged every cable between here and the entry point, so it was the only thing connected... and same result. Signals are strong and all within proper ranges, the diag tool claims all hardware is ok and authorizations are met...

It randomly tunes in some channels (Like HBO HD and ESPN HD channels) yet many others both SD and HD give a Service Unavailable error message :( Called comcast and they had no clue they just ran through their normal prompts of reboot, send refresh, unlug stuff turn it back on etc then wanted to send a tech out =/

Guess Ima go hit Ceton's help ticket and tomorrow try and snag a different cable card to see if maybe the cable card just died on us somehow... if a new cablecard doesn't work I am left thinking it is the InfinTV4...

Thank god I still have some ATI HD650's to record the 10 non-encrypted channels Comcast provides and a truck load of recorded kid shows and movies for my daughter to watch! If I ever figure out what the issue is I will come back and post results here...

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:12 am

If you are seeing 29dB of tilt, you have some sort of wiring/signal issue - I suspect if you resolve that, it will resolve your issue.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

werds

Post by werds » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 am

erkotz wrote:If you are seeing 29dB of tilt, you have some sort of wiring/signal issue - I suspect if you resolve that, it will resolve your issue.
Well I installed the beta firmware and drivers (as suggested by help ticket) and that appears to have resolved my issues. Possibly a driver was corrupted? Dunno but currently with the new drivers it does not show that large a band in signal, only about 1 or 2dB between channels (similar to how it reported prior to).

As I mentioned in the ticket - using anything Beta can put a scare in the WAF! Thanks, for now I will assume all is well and move along :)