Blackberry Playbook Support?

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
KungFuKid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Blackberry Playbook Support?

Post by KungFuKid » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:34 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Ceton Companion app works on the Blackberry Playbook?

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:51 pm

We currently support iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. Windows 8 metro app is in the works. We currently have no plans to support any blackberry device.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 pm

I don't know, but can I suggest that you change the subject of your message to "Blackberry Playbook". All of the messages in the Ceton Companion App forum are about the Ceton Companion App, so your post might stand out a bit more if the subject reflected what you're looking for.

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:16 am

Motz wrote:We currently support iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. Windows 8 metro app is in the works. We currently have no plans to support any blackberry device.
Thanks Motz, I'm wondering if I can sideload the Android app to the Playbook?

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:17 am

foxwood wrote:I don't know, but can I suggest that you change the subject of your message to "Blackberry Playbook". All of the messages in the Ceton Companion App forum are about the Ceton Companion App, so your post might stand out a bit more if the subject reflected what you're looking for.
Will do, can't seem to do it on tapatalk app though.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:22 pm

We tested the blackberry android support and unfortunately it is extremely limited so our app is not compatible at all.

Although I am a bit interested in blackberry 10 it is still extremely early on and their development process isn't very great from my research.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Motz wrote:We tested the blackberry android support and unfortunately it is extremely limited so our app is not compatible at all.

Although I am a bit interested in blackberry 10 it is still extremely early on and their development process isn't very great from my research.
Thats a shame, I'm hoping that BB10 is going to push interest in the Tablet and we will see more apps developed for it.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:12 am

KungFuKid wrote:
Motz wrote:We tested the blackberry android support and unfortunately it is extremely limited so our app is not compatible at all.

Thats a shame, I'm hoping that BB10 is going to push interest in the Tablet and we will see more apps developed for it.
I wouldn't hold my breath. This market is saturated and there are too few BB holdouts. I believe it is too little too late, but we'll see. MS is making a stronger push with Win 8 and surface then I have seen from them before. They seem to be all in on this. Time will tell if they can steal people away for tablet use. If they do, they may increase phone sales too.
Greg

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:57 am

BlackBerry are dying company, will be snapped up by one of the newer players before long. its amazing how poorly the firm was managed to go from absolute world dominance to nowhere in 5 years.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:54 pm

If MS can take over BB with WP8 then prob game over. WinPhone is easier to code for as well. Seems like with a huge push behind both 8s it could turn out good
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 pm

the thing is no-one even cares about BB in business anymore. 5 years ago everyone had a BB as a work phone. They had the security, the functionality.

The security was blown in the middle east a few years ago and now BB are no more trusted than any other firm. BB's messenger service was widely blamed for the London riots last year so that won't be around in its old form for too much longer. but the biggest thing is the phones and the OS have really not moved on in the last 5 years. The thin client, remote wipe functionality of ipads and iphones has pushed us towards apple and there's no reason to go back.

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:47 pm

Surely with the sales increase of the Playbook and BB10 being released next year, RIM should be able to claw their way back into the market?

carljanderson

Post by carljanderson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:30 pm

KungFuKid wrote:Surely with the sales increase of the Playbook and BB10 being released next year, RIM should be able to claw their way back into the market?
IF MS can execute on the Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 vision I think Blackberry is done. What is keeping BB alive is the security they offer above what iOS and Android can deliver. If Windows Phone 8 and can offer the same levels (or more) of security and enterprise class features businesses are looking for, then I see a movement away from BB. Windows 8 Pro tablets will offer that security.

Of course, that is IF MS can execute, and that's a big if.

gravymonster

Post by gravymonster » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 pm

I've read nothing but good things about their new dev tools. What problems did you find? I read all the time about developers porting ios apps to bb10 apps in less than a day and other crazy stories too.

It would be cool if the ceton app was available for the playbook though. I'm typing this on a playbook, incidentally. lol.

nixsoft

Post by nixsoft » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:40 am

Blackberry Playbook is on my wish list too. RIM advertises that with its tools that it is easy to convert an Adroid App to the playbook.