New Ceton Beta Driver 10-23-12

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JohnW248

HTPC Specs: Show details

New Ceton Beta Driver 10-23-12

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Ceton has put up a new beta driver

http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/b ... er-update/

Download (Windows 7 SP1):Ceton InfiniTV Installer (2012.10.23.0732)
sha1sum: ae0b463d4af6c951ee6aff0a5098b12a1be3aeaf
Changelog:
•2012.10.23.0732: Fixed issue where sometimes installation fails. Fixed installation of Tuning Adapter services. Enabled verbose logging on install to help determine installation issues.
•2012.08.28.0019: New diagnostic tool with access to new (currently Beta) Firmware updates. Also stability improvements for Tuning Adapter driver.

Has anyone that had trouble with the previous update (19) tried this one (732) and with success?

I haven't tried it yet, but will attempt to this afternoon on at least one machine.

John

Edit: I just installed the new (732) driver on my HP machine. All went well and didn't have to reboot. Did notice that it also restarted the TAs on the SD prime tuners. But so far looks good and tuned a SDV channel as a test and works fine.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:02 pm

"Ceton beta driver" translates to "I'm tired of watching TV, I'd rather watch a black screen instead".

Cup

Post by Cup » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:57 am

Oh, come on. I wouldn't say that!

A couple of weeks ago, I installed (sucessfully, on the first try) the 2012.08.28.0019 "beta" driver package, and upgraded the tuner to the latest stable (not beta) firmware and hardware versions. (I could get off my buttocks and go check the numbers.... but, lazy right now.)
And, I have to say, the thing is actually quite a bit more stable. The channels change a smidge faster, and I haven't had to do a USB re-plug on my Motorola TA once yet.
No complaints here. :)
-Cup
~~Nearly every day of my life is some kind of computer hell....

Click here for my system specs

voltaire10

Post by voltaire10 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:07 pm

I can confirm what John (and Ceton) says...the new beta driver package fixes the issue some of us were having related to the tuning adapter portion of the install. I installed an hour ago without a hitch and rebooted. Everything is well. I don't know if I'm noticing any speed bump in the channel changing department. However, there are beta updates available that I haven't installed yet - Firmware to 1.2.1.1 (fixes DRM pairing issues) and Hardware to 6408 (increases compatibility with SA cablecards). I see no compelling reason to install these as of yet.

Jason

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:47 am

Those updates will really improve your channel change tuning speed. I installed those before I could do the beta driver from a stand-alone diagnostic utility and it makes a big difference. BTW I'm not sure you have to reboot, the installer doesn't ask for it and the diagnostic tool finds the new driver, new TA services, etc. They have actually come up with a way to change the table cloth on a dinner table that is fully set with plates and silverware--rather neat!

You do have to reboot after the FW update and you have to shut down to power zero for the HW update so the PCIe bus is restarted with the new HW.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 am

I just installed these updates tonight to the stable release as well. I have had a few issues with my infinitv crashing lately with an otay error which I think may be related to the ceton companion..but I'm not sure. At any rate the new ceton diagnostic tool is much improved I like it much better especially for those with multiple infinitv tuners installed. I can also confirm that the tuners do tune MUCH faster than before. The usual spinning circle used to take quite some time to go away and got the channel to tune but now it swirls roughly 2-3 times where before it was closer to 7-8 before tuning. Big improvement!! Are you guys running the latest beta firmware or just the latest stable release? I'm still on the stable release so far.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:48 pm

newfiend wrote:I just installed these updates tonight to the stable release as well. I have had a few issues with my infinitv crashing lately with an otay error which I think may be related to the ceton companion..but I'm not sure. At any rate the new ceton diagnostic tool is much improved I like it much better especially for those with multiple infinitv tuners installed. I can also confirm that the tuners do tune MUCH faster than before. The usual spinning circle used to take quite some time to go away and got the channel to tune but now it swirls roughly 2-3 times where before it was closer to 7-8 before tuning. Big improvement!! Are you guys running the latest beta firmware or just the latest stable release? I'm still on the stable release so far.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
I have the latest beta driver but I still get that same "otay" error.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Otay is part of the Ceton Companion App, not the InfiniTV driver.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Does a picture of Buckwheat appear when you get the otay message?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 pm

kc10boom wrote:Does a picture of Buckwheat appear when you get the otay message?
buck_wheat.jpg
Ceton Companion is OTAY!
YES! How did U kno?...tee hee.. :D
newfiend~
Last edited by newfiend on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:17 pm

erkotz wrote:Otay is part of the Ceton Companion App, not the InfiniTV driver.
Sould I install the latest BETA for the Companion Services on the PC, does that address the OTAY error? I'm still on the last release...(non Beta) If not, have any suggestions? We will be in the middle of watching a program and all of a sudden MC will crash and throw the error.
newfiend~

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 pm

So far, I'm a big fan of this beta. Channel changes are definitely faster and resume from standby to live TV performance is a lot better. My fingers are crossed this will eliminate the occasional "no signal" errors I would get from the slow "wake" of the infinitv. If successful, this will eliminate my only minor issue left with a HTPC that can standby to save power. I'll report back on how it does after a few days.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:03 pm

newfiend wrote:
Sould I install the latest BETA for the Companion Services on the PC, does that address the OTAY error? I'm still on the last release...(non Beta) If not, have any suggestions? We will be in the middle of watching a program and all of a sudden MC will crash and throw the error.
newfiend~
I can't promise it will resolve what you're seeing, but give it a go. If not, open a thread in the Companion App area.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:14 am

erkotz wrote:
newfiend wrote:
newfiend~
I can't promise it will resolve what you're seeing, but give it a go. If not, open a thread in the Companion App area.
Will Do.. Thanks Erkotz :)

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:22 am

woodchuck wrote:So far, I'm a big fan of this beta. Channel changes are definitely faster and resume from standby to live TV performance is a lot better. My fingers are crossed this will eliminate the occasional "no signal" errors I would get from the slow "wake" of the infinitv. If successful, this will eliminate my only minor issue left with a HTPC that can standby to save power. I'll report back on how it does after a few days.
I have had no issues with it thus far.. It seems really solid so far for me. (I'm still on the Stable Firmware).. I agree that it is a big Improvement. Channel Changing is much quicker and the Swirling Circle that used to take a bit before it would tune now is much improved, and I would say the time it used to take is cut in at least half. I have two InfiniTV Tuners and for it to boot them both up and tune the channel I requested that much quicker is great! Nice Work Ceton!

My PC seems to sleep and wake to record with no issues. So far :thumbup: awesomeness!

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:14 pm

newfiend wrote: :thumbup: awesomeness!
Just to report back... I have yet to see a message about no tuner being available to record a show since updating to the beta driver and firmware. This would occur every day or two, and was a minor, but persistent, annoyance. It is now resolved. SWEET!