Browsing the Web on Echo

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:55 am

adam1991 wrote:I have no reason to think that the Echo should be fundamentally different than any other inexpensive device (such as Roku) that can stream Netflix. I also don't remember Ceton saying that they would never do anything like that.
Did you read Richard's post #16 above?
adam1991 wrote:Pardon me for being an average consumer of home electronics. It stuns me that I should be foreced to have both an Echo and a Roku, for example. I can't imagine that it's THAT tough to stream Netflix. I also can't imagine that Netflix erects any barriers to that; to the contrary, I have to believe that Netflix would be happy to help.
I would think so too, but according to the posts above, Ceton would need to show that they can deliver 100,000 units before Netflix will do anything for them.
adam1991 wrote:...and my perception is that Ceton dropped the ball BIG time by not taking the opportunity for the Echo to stream Netflix.
I agree. This functionality is what would make the Echo worth the price of admission.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:01 am

One more thing...

Even if/when Ceton produces a browser in the Echo.
Even if/when HTML5 comes up with a DRM standard.
Even if/when Netflix changes their servers to handle HTML5.
Even if/when Ceton updates said browser to support this new DRM scheme...

Will it work with a 10 foot UI? I doubt it. Pick up your keyboard.

Am I happy about this? No.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 am

I guess most TVs nowadays are all internet activated already, so maybe thats an option.

But I stand by my initial idea- put Android on the echo, and you're good to go.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:29 am

@makryger: Yes, most upper-priced TV's are internet activated. But the budget ones still are not. Four of my five TV's are not. My main TV, connected to the PC, is a "smart" TV. Not that it matters much, since I can do everything in Windows that the TV can do.

My other four TV's do not have any apps built-in. Three of them are connected to BluRay players that have apps. One does not. I was really hoping that the Echo would solve that problem, and make it easy to use. That, along with fast boot time, was my primary interest in the Echo. I'm severely disappointed that the Echo has no plans for streaming apps. I can't comment on the boot time... we beta testers aren't allowed to say.