Delta DVR

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
Hogues

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Hogues » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:10 pm

RyanWhiteman wrote: There are a couple routes we can go with hardware.. we'll keep you posted. What do you all want?
As an Oppo 93 owner, I would like to see a cheaper version without a BD drive.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:20 pm

DVB-C tuners and a deal to make them work with Virgin Media. (I can dream...)
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:35 pm

And DVB-S2 tuners and a deal with Sky!!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

duncane

Post by duncane » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:13 pm

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:46 pm

yeah, I remember reading about Whiteman's product--long ago.

I'd put money down for a Q right now before I'd believe the Whiteman vapor.

duncane

Post by duncane » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:20 pm

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Do you have a financial interest in Whiteman?

I'm merely speaking my observations. Vapor cringes when someone associates it with Whiteman.

I stand my ground: I will hand Ceton money out of my pocket right now on the promise of a Q, but I'd wait a good couple of years *after* it's released and in public hands and available from Newegg and Amazon before I'd spend a dime on whatever Whiteman claims to have.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:45 pm

OK, I'll admit upfront that I may have a conflict of interest here.
That said, I don't see the excitement. Based on the specs of the Whiteman DVR, I could build it in an afternoon, as everything shown so far is literally off the shelf.

Aside from that, does anyone have any information on "Touch TV Inc" - I can't even find a website.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:37 am

erkotz wrote:OK, I'll admit upfront that I may have a conflict of interest here.
That said, I don't see the excitement. Based on the specs of the Whiteman DVR, I could build it in an afternoon, as everything shown so far is literally off the shelf.
Well, not quite. The specs say:

"With the ability to record more channels simultaneously than any other DVR to a 3TB hard drive..."

Off the shelf, all you'll find is a four tuner card. I forget the name, though.

As to Whiteman's claim in the context of "any other DVR," may I introduce them to Arris.

For Whiteman's claim to be true at this moment, they'd have to provide at minimum a 7 channel tuner. Won't happen, can't happen with a single cableCARD.

Whiteman's vapor claims have been around for quite awhile now, and frankly they're getting stale.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:19 am

They originally posted nere it would have 6 tuners and I recall something about them working with SD, but when asked the owner seemed to imply it was a single cablecard (if not the illusive InfiniTV6, what?). Anyway, the specs and data are very different and toned down from the last time I saw them.
Greg

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:04 pm

adam1991 wrote:
erkotz wrote:OK, I'll admit upfront that I may have a conflict of interest here.
Well, not quite. The specs say:

"With the ability to record more channels simultaneously than any other DVR to a 3TB hard drive..."

Off the shelf, all you'll find is a four tuner card. I forget the name, though.

As to Whiteman's claim in the context of "any other DVR," may I introduce them to Arris.

For Whiteman's claim to be true at this moment, they'd have to provide at minimum a 7 channel tuner. Won't happen, can't happen with a single cableCARD.

Whiteman's vapor claims have been around for quite awhile now, and frankly they're getting stale.
Well, I do have InfiniTV 6 cards laying around :twisted:
Aside from that, as far as I know, we have not worked with them at all, which means they are either rolling their own solution, working on something with SD, using 2 3-tuners, or this is vapor.

A single CableCARD can, in theory support more than 6 streams. The current limit is basically arbitrarily imposed by the manufacturers. There is a limit of 200mbps on the bus to the CableCARD (which would limit you to about 10 HD channels at once) but we aren't hitting that now.
gpatlanta wrote:They originally posted nere it would have 6 tuners and I recall something about them working with SD, but when asked the owner seemed to imply it was a single cablecard (if not the illusive InfiniTV6, what?). Anyway, the specs and data are very different and toned down from the last time I saw them.
A friend told me that the prototype he saw had 2 3-tuners in it - my guess is it had what was basically the hauppauge tuner (USB), but with the 3rd tuner chip on it

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:37 pm

erkotz wrote:Well, I do have InfiniTV 6 cards laying around :twisted:
HEY now! That implies it will be very easy for you to stick one inside my Echo box before it leaves.

Feel free to send an additional Google checkout notice.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:22 pm

adam1991 wrote:
erkotz wrote:Well, I do have InfiniTV 6 cards laying around :twisted:
HEY now! That implies it will be very easy for you to stick one inside my Echo box before it leaves.

Feel free to send an additional Google checkout notice.
Nope, it's not easy - the InfiniTV is bigger than the Echo box :twisted:

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm

DANG it!

;-)