Remote Potato HD for iPad now released

carlosp_uk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote Potato HD for iPad now released

Post by carlosp_uk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Hey all - great to see TGB arisen from the grave!

I'm thrilled to announce that Remote Potato HD hits the iPad today. Not only can you stream your stuff and remotely access Media Center, you can also use an AppleTV as a Windows Media Center extender! Which is great if, like me, you have an older extender that doesn't support HD content. There's a live video demo of this at this link. (EDIT: Changed dates, it's now out!)

Image Image Image

Key Features:
o Stream music, pictures and videos from a home PC to the iPad, over the Internet.
o Browse the TV Guide and schedule recordings.
o Manage existing recordings
o Watch previously recorded TV shows; Remote Potato was the first app in the world to directly
stream WTV recorded TV files to iOS.
o Use an AppleTV as a $100 Media Center Extender – play HD content for the first time.
o No more syncing! Browse your home music library, listen to songs streamed direct from your PC.
o Browse your home photo library; download or email pictures to friends.
o Sync up albums and songs for offline access.
o AirPlay support – stream your stuff directly to an AppleTV.

Available in the App Store now - check it out here.

All the best

Carlos

PS: AirPlay support (use AppleTV as extender) is also being added to the Remote Potato iPhone app, the update (v1.2) should be coming this week
Last edited by carlosp_uk on Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:52 pm

Wow, this looks like a great release! You've managed to answer the people's calls for WebGuide, and now for a new extender, all in one!

Does Airplay content on AppleTV also work with copy-protected content?
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Carlos, thanks! Great utility. Alas I do not have an iPad, but do use RP on my iPhone which is fantastic :D

[I've made you a sticky as this is important info!]
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Cafe.Racer

Post by Cafe.Racer » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:52 pm

Typical - I purchased the iPhone version to run on the iPad just yesterday

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:44 pm

I just want to throw my support in for this. I beta tested the new iPad app and must say it is absolutely unbelevable. Media Center is awesome, but Media Center with Remote Potato and access through iOS and other means makes it fantastic. There are several aspects of this app that are better to use then Media Center natively. For example, the view of scheduled recordings is awesome.

Also, the server app has options to Setup and keep the connection for a dyndns account to make Internet streaming easier for you. All in all I have to say I'm a huge supporter and also want to thank Carlos for his awesomeness.
Greg

carlosp_uk

Post by carlosp_uk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:02 pm

stonethecrows wrote:[I've made you a sticky as this is important info!]
Thanks!
makryger wrote:Does Airplay content on AppleTV also work with copy-protected content?
It won't at the moment as Remote Potato is hardwired to refuse to stream it. BUT... if somebody could email me a DRM protected file (we don't have them here in the UK), perhaps just a .WTV file of around 1 minute -- then I can test it to see if this is feasible. Email is carl at remote potato dot com

Would there be any legal issues?

C

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Sending file in 2 minutes. :). Only potential problem I see is you won't be able to play the files normally. It may be able to stream from a machine that recorded the file since that machine is able to play it already (would be awesomeif it could). But since you won't be able to from the beginning it likely won't be an easy thing for you to test. However, I'd be happy to be a go-between and test if yo think it is possible.
Greg

carlosp_uk

Post by carlosp_uk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:32 pm

gpatlanta wrote:Sending file in 2 minutes. :). Only potential problem I see is you won't be able to play the files normally. It may be able to stream from a machine that recorded the file since that machine is able to play it already (would be awesomeif it could). But since you won't be able to from the beginning it likely won't be an easy thing for you to test. However, I'd be happy to be a go-between and test if yo think it is possible.
Yeah I see where you're coming from. OK cool, I'll have a bash. Thanks for sending.

Carlos

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:35 pm

No i* products here at all - I love RP though and use Media Buddy on my WP7.

Awesome!

Keep up the great work Carlos :)
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Robberson

Post by Robberson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:45 am

Carlos, thanks! Great utility. Alas I do not have an iPad, but do use RP on my iPhone which is fantastic

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:03 pm

Although the Remote Potato app is still being sold in the App Store people should be aware that it is effectively abandonware since the server code was released as open source. Any support request emails are ignored and the support forum has be closed down.

There are a couple of key bugs with the iOS version which can be very annoying but do have workarounds. I will post them here as it is no longer possible to post in the official Remote Potato forum. I suspect both of these could be fixed relatively easily but I fear that there is little chance of that happening; so instead, paying customers will have to make do with the workarounds.

Song List Blank

You may find that certain albums show no tracks when you browse to them in the app. This is because there is a bug which limits the Artist and Album ID tags to 48 characters. A good example of this is from Coldplay;

Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends (8 + 41 = 49; tracks not displayed)
Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friend (8 + 40 = 48; tracks displayed)

Obviously the workaround is to shorten the tags were required.

Unable to exit Picture Browsing

You may find that after browsing through your pictures you cannot return back to the main Remote Potato screen. Pressing the "Done" button, or indeed the other two buttons has no effect.

This bug only manifests when the iPad is in the landscape orientation. If you rotate into the portrait orientation the buttons will work and you can exit the picture browser.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1