Echo Remote Control IR Codes

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
rmalbers

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Remote Control IR Codes

Post by rmalbers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Can anyone confirm if the Echo remote control MCE infared codes are the same/standard MCE codes used by the 'other' old extenders infared codes? So will my 'other' remotes loaded up with these standard MCE extender IR codes work with the Echo? (I really would like to know before I preorder an Echo, I'm still kind of on the fence but would like the H.264 decode.)

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:43 pm

What is this Echo of which you speak?

Phil Seastrand

Post by Phil Seastrand » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Ceton has confirmed that the remote matches the standard MCE IR codes.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:51 pm

adam1991 wrote:What is this Echo of which you speak?
The Ceton Echo Extender, I'm asking about the remote control that comes this this.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:52 pm

Phil Seastrand wrote:Ceton has confirmed that the remote matches the standard MCE IR codes.
Thanks, that's what I was hoping but have never seen it stated!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:52 pm

You are actually better off using another MC remote if, like the Linksys, it has programmable keys. The Ceton remote doesn't have the ability to program the power button, volume, mute, etc. You might find working it is a bit difficult and for some reason they didn't use a backlight remote.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:40 pm

JohnW248 wrote:You are actually better off using another MC remote if, like the Linksys, it has programmable keys. The Ceton remote doesn't have the ability to program the power button, volume, mute, etc. You might find working it is a bit difficult and for some reason they didn't use a backlight remote.
Ok, I'm actually running my extender thru the keyboard control of a Logitech Revue google tv box so it sounds like I'll just be able to replace my extender with the Echo and stick the IR transmitter on the Echo and I'll be good to go. (I also use Pronto's for the extender but not much anymore.)
Thanks!
I think I'll probably order one when I am can ensure they are in stock somewhere. Ceton's delievery schedule in past products hasn't been exactly perfect, if you know what I mean.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Well maybe when you get one it'll work. Right now a keyboard has its own strange keyboard shortcuts that don't match MC shortcuts or remotes, i.e. M brings up the main screen, S will stop, backspace return but you really need to get to M and then use your arrow keys and enter to move around. Also you can't enter text with the keyboard, the number pad will work like a telephone dial with multiple key presses....But I think they plan to change that and there is no mouse support yet.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:53 pm

JohnW248 wrote:Well maybe when you get one it'll work. Right now a keyboard has its own strange keyboard shortcuts that don't match MC shortcuts or remotes, i.e. M brings up the main screen, S will stop, backspace return but you really need to get to M and then use your arrow keys and enter to move around. Also you can't enter text with the keyboard, the number pad will work like a telephone dial with multiple key presses....But I think they plan to change that and there is no mouse support yet.
The Logitech GTV box (Revue) uses the Logitech Harmony setup database so when you go thru setup it properly sets up all the MCE extender keys and they work perfect. For my use, feeding the Revue (it's a GTV box) with a MCE extender gives me the best of both worlds, an android platform with apps along with MCE, all with complete control from an 'extended' keyboard (dedicated DVR keys, etc.). (Although, the Revue could use a little more CPU soup!) Now that I know the Echo uses the same IR codes, the setup wil still work great and I have a extender upgrade path!