Guide Only Partially Updating

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
jtennison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Only Partially Updating

Post by jtennison » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Looking at the Electronic Program Guide this morning, all the OTA channels are updated thru Nov 7. However, all the cable channels show "No data available" after 8:00pm October 28. When I try to do a manual update, I get the message that the download failed, and I should look at Media Center System log. But right-clicking the icon has no entry to display log.

Any idea what is happening here? Are there any simple things I can do to resolve this problem?

MC is running on dedicated computer, Win7/SP1 with all latest MS updates and using MS Security essentials.

Sole Tuner card is Ceton 4-tuner with cable card for Comcast, Charlottesville, VA area. The schedules all channels look OK on Zap2it.

jtennison

Post by jtennison » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:21 pm

One additional point that may be important. About 10 days ago, I upgraded the router connected to the cable modem. Do I need to open any special ports for EPG updates? I never had to for the old router.

dnr

Post by dnr » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:23 pm

I am having exactly the same problem and have the same configuration.

MC is running on dedicated computer, Win7/SP1 with all latest MS updates and using MS Security essentials.

Sole Tuner card is Ceton 4-tuner with cable card for Comcast, in Houston, TX. I have made no router changes for many months.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 am

I'm missing a lot of guide data as of today.

Edit: I'm on Comcast. Tuner is HDHRP.

jtennison

Post by jtennison » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:25 pm

I still don't know exactly what the problem is, but I found a work around (thanks to Google, my wife, and some people in Houston) that works for Comcast in the Charlottesville VA area.

From the main (top most) Media Center menu, click "Settings", then click "TV", then click "TV Signal", then click "Set Up TV Signal"

During this setup, SPECIFY A DIFFERENT ZIP CODE THAN YOU ARE CURRENTLY USING. I chose an adjacent county served by same Comcast office.

I rebooted the computer running Media Center (not sure if this is required), and the new guide was complete for all channels.

If you have used GuideTool or a similar utility program to identify channels to be dropped from the Media Center guide, you will have to do it again. Any channel you had dropped from the guide will be back in it after the re-scan.

Hope this may help others with same problem.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:32 pm

^Thanks, I'll give that a try. My wife isn't so happy right now. :(

dnr

Post by dnr » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Yes, it worked!!! Used a Friendswood, TX ZIP instead of a Pearland, TX ZIP. Both are right next to Houston.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 am

Well that fixed my cablecard listing but now I'm missing a chunk of QAM channels. This blows to say the least.

jtennison

Post by jtennison » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:15 pm

mcewinter: Take a look at "http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 9ddcbe75d3" which seems to describe your problem. The MC background scan problem ha been around for a while, and I don't know if it was ever fixed. My setup is different than yours: I have a ceton card that has a diagnostic program option to turn off background scan. Check to see if HDHRP has similar option, or patch the registry.

I also see from your profile that you have HDHRP and a HDHR. If problems persist, it might be worth temporarily disconnecting HDHR and try to get thing working with just the HDHRP. Another thing to look at is the ZAP2IT schedule. Make sure the schedule for the zip code you used has all channels you need, and that channel names on ZAP2IT exactly match the names that the tuner software uses. The exact match may only apply for Hauppauge cards; I'm not too sure about that.

Good Luck.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Background scan is turned off by default per the HDHRP driver. My channels went missing after running TV setup in effort to repair my problem. My cable channels are now fine aside from having to edit my lineup again. My holdup is the few missing QAM channels which I prefer to combine with the cable counterparts so it would actually be ideal to isolate my QAM tuner formthe sake of troubleshooting.

I have time to mess with this today but I'd rather be working on other things around the house.