Win8 upgrade hosed all my recordings

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
RealCodeGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win8 upgrade hosed all my recordings

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:31 pm

I upgraded to Win8 yesterday and I ran into the PlayReady problems outlined in this thread.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=3259

However, once I restored TV and tried playing some previously recorded content I receive the "Copy Prohibited" error. I did upgrade and didn't do a clean install so I would have thought that I'd still be able to view my recordings since it's the same machine. I made no hardware change, only upgraded the OS. I did have to completely delete the PlayReady folder to get the update to work so I'm afraid that all of my previous recordings are now toast.

Before I delete these 2TB of files from my server, is that any hope at all?

Thanks.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:37 pm

I can't say for sure as I haven't taken the plunge into Win 8.. but I think if your playready got hosed.. you may be out of luck... I wouldn't delete just yet. See what others have to say first. But I believe Playready is MS DRM technology and once that is corupt or damaged the old recordings most likely will not play. Sorry for the bad news..
newfiend~

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Put your Win7 backup image back on.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:44 pm

There is probably a restore function somewhere. Still can't figure out why everyone is upgrading.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

STC

Post by STC » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:50 pm

If you had to fix PlayReady as described in your link you will have generated a new set of keys and thus can't see your DRM locked recordings made with the old keys.
Your only option is to restore to Win7 from backup, which I hope you have(?)
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:06 pm

Yeah it is gone unless you have a backup.

This is why recordings for me aren't permanent they are watch and delete.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:37 pm

Okay, thanks guys. No biggie actually. I was caught up on all the series that mattered and the only thing that I would have liked to keep isn't irreplaceable. I do have a Win7 restore image on my HP MediaSmart Server, but now that I finally have Win8 up and running I actually kind of like it. So, I think I'll just look at this as an opportunity to free up some space. Despite the lost recording everything else is working great including the Ceton tuner.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:14 pm

I had a question as I think a normal "upgrade" shouldn't mess with the recordings, but did you go from Windows 7 pro to windows 8 pro, or was it Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 then to Windows 8 Pro Pack?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:49 am

Motz wrote:I had a question as I think a normal "upgrade" shouldn't mess with the recordings, but did you go from Windows 7 pro to windows 8 pro, or was it Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 8 then to Windows 8 Pro Pack?
I upgraded from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 8 Pro then installed the Media pack. The only think I can think of that might have caused this, is that I logged into the machine using my Windows Live account instead of creating a local account with the same user name and password the original install used. Is it possible when logged on using the online account that Windows didn't have proper permissions to PlayReady files?

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Ahhhh interesting I will ask support team to reproduce.
I Write, Code, and Tweet