Recommendation on best remote app

BBB3000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recommendation on best remote app

Post by BBB3000 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:42 pm

I have been using Remote potato for the last several months. It does the job but it's so-so in terms of the guide and the lack of ongoing development is disheartening.

I saw that Ceton has one in the mobile app store. Can anyone vouch for how the two compare? The primary functionality I am looking for is streaming recorded shows or better yet, live tv.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 am

I have the Ceton App.. It works really well. It does NOT at this time allow you to stream any content. They have said in some posts that they would like to add the functionality maybe at some point.. I am hoping that it happens.. Right now it is the best app I have seen for Media Center. Although it's taking a bit of time to get the updated version for windows phone version.. but that's more of a MS hang up than Ceton's fault.
newfiend~

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 am

Thank you for that clarification. I will stick with Remote Potato in that case.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:24 am

Obviously I think the Ceton Companion is hands down the best WMC app... but I did help develop them... :) We are absolutely working on streaming as well and is coming. However some of the strengths that I think sets us apart is speed, design specific for each platform, active development, and some really unique features like our "premieres" section or "movies on tonight". We also support full remote control support on extenders and ability to start playback of your content on your HTPC or extender.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am

as far as the actual app's go ceton's is a different game to remote potato. its professionally done and looks nice. As soon as Ceton add streaming (and don't forget we're not crippled by DRM) i shall be overjoyed to consign RP to the recycle bin, never to be seen again. it only has one use, remote streaming (of recorded tv only mind, dvblink serves me up live tv through its iOS app).

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:48 am

Motz - any timeframe on a release for streaming?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Sorry if any of my comment sounded negative about the app as that is not my intent. IMO it is the best app for media center.. It doesn't stream content yet but when it does it will be awesome! They really did a nice job on it.. I don't think you would regret purchasing it.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:34 pm

Do you have to buy the app multiple times if you want to share it with members of your family (say, your iphone and another persons ipad)? seems like a waste to have to keep buying it for diff users in the same household.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:30 am

BBB3000 wrote:Do you have to buy the app multiple times if you want to share it with members of your family (say, your iphone and another persons ipad)? seems like a waste to have to keep buying it for diff users in the same household.
Not if they share the same iCloud or Google Play account.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:23 am

BBB3000 wrote:Do you have to buy the app multiple times if you want to share it with members of your family (say, your iphone and another persons ipad)? seems like a waste to have to keep buying it for diff users in the same household.
Besides what barnabas said the app is universal so there is just 1 version for iphone and ipad. It is optimized for iphone mostly, but if you buy it once you get it on both as long as it is the same account/icloud, which is a bit unlike the remote potato iOS app which as a iphone and an ipad hd app.

BBB3000 wrote:Motz - any timeframe on a release for streaming?
Working hard on timelines, lots of projects but it is our top priority on the apps. It is not an easy thing to implement overnight on all platforms. I don't like to give any hard dates anymore.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

BBB3000

Post by BBB3000 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:53 pm

I don't check this forum regularly unless I have questions - if you can reply to this thread when it's out, I'll be sure to scoop it up! :)

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:45 am

Sounds good, will do :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:58 pm

bobbob wrote:as far as the actual app's go ceton's is a different game to remote potato. its professionally done and looks nice. As soon as Ceton add streaming (and don't forget we're not crippled by DRM) i shall be overjoyed to consign RP to the recycle bin, never to be seen again. it only has one use, remote streaming (of recorded tv only mind, dvblink serves me up live tv through its iOS app).
+1 with nothing against RP which has served an under featured area in WMC quite well for some time now and kudos to Carlos for making this happen for us. But when Companion can stream all content including DRM it will be a no brainer purchase for any WMC user in my opinion. I already think it is easily worth the cost.
Greg

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:12 pm

I have remote potato which I have the iPhone app for and also found works on my Blackberry Playbook via the web interface, minus video playback. The only problem is that it is quite slow, I'm considering changing to Ceton but as it currently doesn't support streaming and I have already paid £5 for the potato app I'm not sure wether to make the jump!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:28 am

KungFuKid wrote:I have remote potato which I have the iPhone app for and also found works on my Blackberry Playbook via the web interface, minus video playback. The only problem is that it is quite slow, I'm considering changing to Ceton but as it currently doesn't support streaming and I have already paid £5 for the potato app I'm not sure wether to make the jump!
No need to switch. Just use both. Keep RP for streaming and use Ceton for everything else. Works great. Actually, for WMC control I prefer Hippo Remote. It has many more commands than Ceton and a customizable interface. So I use RP for streaming, Hippo for control and Ceton for guide and recording management.

tad

Post by tad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:26 pm

The big gap now just seems to be music playback...

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:59 am

mdavej wrote:
KungFuKid wrote:I have remote potato which I have the iPhone app for and also found works on my Blackberry Playbook via the web interface, minus video playback. The only problem is that it is quite slow, I'm considering changing to Ceton but as it currently doesn't support streaming and I have already paid £5 for the potato app I'm not sure wether to make the jump!
No need to switch. Just use both. Keep RP for streaming and use Ceton for everything else. Works great. Actually, for WMC control I prefer Hippo Remote. It has many more commands than Ceton and a customizable interface. So I use RP for streaming, Hippo for control and Ceton for guide and recording management.
I didn't think they would play nicely together so thanks for that, I will give it a go tonight!

AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:10 pm

Media Center control.. Check it out.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:52 pm

KungFuKid wrote:
mdavej wrote:
I didn't think they would play nicely together so thanks for that, I will give it a go tonight!
Yep we play nice with everyone. Just don't put the different apps on the same port as this will cause a conflict.
I Write, Code, and Tweet