Win 8 Start Screen + Media Center

rebornempowered

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 8 Start Screen + Media Center

Post by rebornempowered » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:12 pm

I have a grand vision for Windows 8 on my HTPC. I envision a start screen with a tile for Media Center and then a tile for apps that have media content.

I currently have the RTM on a partition on my laptop and so I have been watching for apps that would be good for this type of set up such as Crackle or apps from television networks. There was a tile on the screen at today's presser that made it look like Amazon Prime Streaming was coming but I can't find it in the store.

I thought I would start a running list of what I (or we) have found so that others don't have to fish through the ever expanding Windows store.

Netflix
Hulu Plus
ABC
ABC Family

None of these work well with the remote that came with my laptop but I am hoping at some point there will be configuration in updates or my much better remote I use on my HTPC will work. I may have to invest in one of the remotes with a mouse pad or track ball if I can't customize the configuration.

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm thinking about using my iPad and remote desktop as an uber remote control. I'll probably buy Windows 8 upgrade while they have the free media center offer

rebornempowered

Post by rebornempowered » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:29 am

kc10boom wrote:I'm thinking about using my iPad and remote desktop as an uber remote control. I'll probably buy Windows 8 upgrade while they have the free media center offer
That's a great idea. I have an old Android phone and soon I will have an old WP7 (after I get a WP8 Lumia) that I could use in that capacity.

tommo

Post by tommo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:39 am

Good thread.

I’ve been thinking about this lately as well.

3rd party media center addons invariably suck, there are exceptions but when it comes to streaming etc I’ve had no end of pain just trying to get a simple video stream only to find the next month their api has changed and the plugin doesn’t work without downloading the modified dll from some guys dropbox folder …zzz.

Having win8 on a media center pc means that you could have your start screen covered with media apps, I’ve been experimenting and there are some good ones already that work well so in time we could have a whole start menu covered in streaming apps.

The glaring issue with this is at the moment you can use the remote to navigate the start screen and enter apps then you have to reach for the keyboard and mouse. Little Bluetooth remote keyboards are fine however its nowhere near ideal.

What really needs to happen to give this life is some kind person work on a HCK (I think that’s what they’re called) script to allow the remote to be mapped and usable within the apps. Then the potential could really be realised.

As a side note, I would be interested if anyone has used a tablet device as a remote e.g. using VNC or something on the tablet to control the main screen…. Kinda inspired by the xbox smartglass advert I saw the other day.

tommo

Post by tommo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:42 am

rebornempowered wrote:
kc10boom wrote:I'm thinking about using my iPad and remote desktop as an uber remote control. I'll probably buy Windows 8 upgrade while they have the free media center offer
That's a great idea. I have an old Android phone and soon I will have an old WP7 (after I get a WP8 Lumia) that I could use in that capacity.
surely as soon as you enter the htpc in remote desktop mode your tv will just display the login screen, surely vnc would be the only way around that.

rebornempowered

Post by rebornempowered » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 pm

tommo wrote:I’ve been thinking about this lately as well.
I have been spending time thinking about the death of Media Center. Then, one day it occurred to me, "Wait a minute, Windows 8 IS Media Center".

tommo

Post by tommo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm

I'd like it to be but unless there is remote control support it won't be, full stop. I also can't see a metro app for TV anytime soon either.

I think the majority of the HTPC crowd has moved to XBMC especially since they announced pvr support.

werds

Post by werds » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:20 pm

tommo wrote:I'd like it to be but unless there is remote control support it won't be, full stop. I also can't see a metro app for TV anytime soon either.

I think the majority of the HTPC crowd has moved to XBMC especially since they announced pvr support.
Yea, without remote control support it just wouldn't meet WAF for me... Although an intriguing idea. As far as XBMC, since it can't handle encrypted channels I am still on WMC until something else comes along!

Sjchmura

Post by Sjchmura » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Does MCEjoy (freeware) work wtih Win8? If it does you can control the whole thing with that (yuou can assign the anything - even the XBOX Controller) to pass keyboard commands or commands from the microcosoft IR remote. Works under windows 7 :)

saxnix

Post by saxnix » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:41 am

According to this page https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_ ... 8154472298 ....."MCEJoy Windows 8 declared compatible, but not tested"

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 am

rebornempowered wrote:I have a grand vision for Windows 8 on my HTPC. I envision a start screen with a tile for Media Center and then a tile for apps that have media content...

None of these work well with the remote that came with my laptop but I am hoping at some point there will be configuration in updates or my much better remote I use on my HTPC will work. I may have to invest in one of the remotes with a mouse pad or track ball if I can't customize the configuration.
You're having trouble because Metro is not a 10' interface. It is a touch interface, and its apps are designed for touch. Moreover, having a collection of tiles for the apps you listed is not immediately useful, because there's no coordination. For example, you would typically want to stop one when starting another, and that doesn't just happen automatically. Windows 8 is not the answer to anything in this area. The answer to the 10' interface remains in programs like Media Center and XBMC that contain and coordinate everything, and since Media Center is on death watch, well...