2 TVs, 1 video error

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Vern1980

HTPC Specs: Show details

2 TVs, 1 video error

Post by Vern1980 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Hi all. I have used this forum many times in the past while I got my home theater setup. I have come up against a problem that I have been unable to fix and I hope someone here can help me out.
My setup:
HTPC(MC7, Nvidia audio and video)->HDMI->4port powere HDMI splitter->HDMI->Onkyo 606 receiver->HDMI->Aquos TV
I_->HDMI->Westinghouse TV (basement)->LR stereo cable->RCA stereo

In case my above diagram isn't clear, I have the Westinghouse TV connected to the HDMI switch.

I use a Harmony remote to control my setup. I have one activity that turns on the HTPC, Onkyo, and Aquos for watching TV and such upstairs. I have another activity that uses the HTPC, Westinghouse, and RCA stereo in the basement. This is the only way I can do it simply and with a minimum of cabling. The receiver doesn't allow me to use the Zone 2 output if the source is HDMI.

Now, whenever I try to watch LiveTV or any recording in the basement, I get the 'windows 7 media center video error files needed to display video are not installed…' error. To fix this, I have to restart the HTPC. From what I have been able to find out, it seems that it is actually the AUDIO that is causing the problem. I suspect the error is caused by switching from my 5.1 Onkyo receiver to the Stereo Westinghouse TV. Windows, Media Center, or my sound card might be getting confused? Could I prevent all this trouble by replacing the basement receiver with one that has HDMI in, instead of component? Does anyone have any ideas what I could do? Let me know if there is any more information that I might have forgotten to include.

Thanks,

Steve

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 am

If I am reading this correctly..
you have the HTPC..run to a HDMI Splitter..from the splitter it runs to TV 1 (upstairs) and TV 2 (basement) is this correct? And when switching between TV's you get the Video error in WMC?
You are correct that the reported video error is actually an audio error in WMC.
HDMI requires a "handshake" to happen between components to work correctly.
If the HDMI on the HTPC looses the "handshake" by switching between two endpoints (from TV1 to TV2).. you will get this error and have to reboot the PC.
The only way I can think of to fix this would maybe be a Gefen HDMI Detective Plus placed in between the HTPC and the HDMI splitter.. that way it would think it is connected to the same source at all times and not loose the "handshake".

I can't say for sure it would fix the issue but I think it might... more info here :
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=8005

HTH,
newfiend~

Vern1980

Post by Vern1980 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:35 pm

I have looked into getting the Detective. Not sure if it will help me, though. Here's one other piece of information that I forgot to include in my original post, which might make the Detective useless for my setup:

If I leave the basement TV off, but still plugged in, Stereo is the only speaker setup shown in the Nvidia audio configuration. If I unplug it or turn off the power strip when I'm done watching (which is what I currently do), I am able to select either Stereo or 7.1 for my output upstairs. If I understand HDMI correctly, leaving the basement TV off but powered (standby?) tells my soundcard that there is a Stereo-only component in the system and disables my 7.1 option. If I completely remove power from it, my soundcard only sees my Onkyo, which has up to 7.1 channels of audio.

IF I were to get a 5.1 HDMI receiver for the basement, that should eliminate the need for me to unplug the basement TV every time, right? I would move the HDMI connector (from the splitter) from the basement TV to the new 5.1 receiver and then connect the TV to the receiver's HDMI out. If I leave every plugged in, my soundcard should see Stereo and 5.1 as my possible outputs (from the new receiver). I don't use 7.1 at all, so 5.1 would be just fine.

I found a few cheap receivers with HDMI, but I wanted to see if anyone thinks my idea would work before I buy one.

Steve

Vern1980

Post by Vern1980 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:01 pm

UPDATE!

It seems that I may have solved my problem. After doing a little more research, I came across a program called Moninfo. I used it to create an .inf file using the information it gathered from my Onkyo receiver. I then turned on my Basement activity and substituted my monitor driver (for the Westinghouse TV) with the newly created one. Now, my Nvidia card sees Stereo AND 7.1! Basically, I forced Windows into thinking my Westinghouse TV was my Onkyo receiver and that it was capable of supporting up to 7.1 channels of audio.

Since I didn't get all of this working until late last night, I didn't get a chance to test it too much. I didn't get the original video error AND surround sound seemed to work upstairs. I will post another update later this week IF I have any more troubles with it.

Steve