all tuners disappear after some time?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
aweber

HTPC Specs: Show details

all tuners disappear after some time?

Post by aweber » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:49 pm

I have had my infiniTV4 (internal) card for about 1 year...pretty much right as they came-out.

Recently I have noticed when coming back to my PC (it is a Win7 x64, quad-core that is left running 100% of the time), WMC says "No Tuners Available..." Running Ceton Diagnostics sometimes the card isn't found. Many times there are errors in the diagnostics page. I have tried updating the firmware numerous times. Even though it appears to d/l and install (and ask for the PC to be rebooted), upon restart the versions remain unchanged.

Also, I don't know if it's related, but I can not get to the device's "webpage" (the 192.168.200.1...) that you can usually type-in manually or click on the button to take you there from the Ceton Diag tool. I have not been able to get to the device's webpage at all, not even after reboot.

I was watching live tv yesterday, and after about 2hrs, WMC suddenly went to the "No Tuners Available". Rebooting didn't help. Power-cycling brought the card's tuners back. For how long? I don't know. I haven't been able to reliably record anything in months.

It feels like I have a hardware problem, which doesn't make me happy, and Ceton Support is trying to help -- but it's slow with the emails going back-and-forth.

Has anyone had any similar issues that they resolved? Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance,
AJ

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:09 pm

2 suggestions:
1. Uninstall (not disable) any non-MS Antivirus or Firewall software you have installed
2. Update to the Ceton beta drivers, then the beta FW from within it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

aweber

Post by aweber » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:41 pm

No additional av or firewall software is installed. In fact, I tried disabling windows firewall for the ceton adapter as well.

I have tried to update the firmware many times. It seems to download and install, but after reboot it shows the same old versions. I did install the latest software package from the download site, but that only updates the drivers and diag utility.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 am

aweber wrote:No additional av or firewall software is installed. In fact, I tried disabling windows firewall for the ceton adapter as well.

I have tried to update the firmware many times. It seems to download and install, but after reboot it shows the same old versions. I did install the latest software package from the download site, but that only updates the drivers and diag utility.
Did you install the latest version, or the beta version? If you did not install the beta version, I recommend you install that one.

aweber

Post by aweber » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:09 pm

It was the beta version. And I tried re-downloading it, and re-installing it again this morning. Same result. The Ceton Diag Tool and Drivers appear to be the latest, however, I can not update the "firmware" or "hardware" versions. The install runs to completion with no errors given; I shutdown (power off) the PC, wait 60sec, power on and the versions are the same. Still can not get to the Device Webpage either.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:00 pm

aweber wrote:It was the beta version. And I tried re-downloading it, and re-installing it again this morning. Same result. The Ceton Diag Tool and Drivers appear to be the latest, however, I can not update the "firmware" or "hardware" versions. The install runs to completion with no errors given; I shutdown (power off) the PC, wait 60sec, power on and the versions are the same. Still can not get to the Device Webpage either.
At this point, I recommend you open a ticket with our support team.

evilOlive

Post by evilOlive » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:52 pm

Any good news yet, aweber?

evilOlive

Post by evilOlive » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey brother... check out my thread for some info on the problem with the tuners disappearing and having the error in the log file about being unable to communicate over UPnP...

aweber

Post by aweber » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:39 pm

Ceton support ended-up scheduling a remote-session with me where I let them log into (and control) my PC.

Their support tech was very knowledgeable and efficient. I watched him poke-around and check (and re-check) a lot of technical details. In the "chat window" he was very polite and, again, knowledgeable. After 30-40min of trying to revive the card and figure out what was happening, he decided it was best to RMA the device.

The RMA team contacted me within 15min of the end of our "session", and on the same day cross-shipped me a new card, which I got today and installed. (More on the minor issues I have with WMC, not Ceton, in replacing it in another thread. ;) ) I am back to watching LiveTV and crossing my fingers it's a long-term fix (whether I mentioned it or not, my card would tend to disappear about 2hrs after power-on, and we're not at that threshold yet).

Again, whether my problem is now "fixed" or not remains to be seen, and I promise to update this thread (maybe not over the weekend, but certainly Monday/Tuesday of next week if all goes well). However, I wanted to publicly applaud Ceton as a company and their support engineers. They really stood-by their product and, IMHO, "did the right thing." In this day-and-age, it's very refreshing to see a company do that.

Will reply back soon, and thank you all for your input!
-AJ

evilOlive

Post by evilOlive » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Just saw this. Glad to hear your experience with their techs has been more positive than mine. I'm sure they're busy folks. Nothing is perfect. :)

I hope a new unit will solve your troubles!

aweber

Post by aweber » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:48 pm

LiveTV was available Saturday morning when I tested, and still available today when I fired it up. Will be leaving it running most of the day, so will check-back if anything happens. So that's good news so far.