Ceton Companion on old iPod Touch iOS 4.2 ??

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
bcswa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Companion on old iPod Touch iOS 4.2 ??

Post by bcswa » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 pm

my old iPod touch is a 2 gen version with IOS 4.2 (4.2.1 to be exact)

Does any one know if this app will work on this device?

thanks

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:17 pm

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Motz wrote:Also 1.2.9 is coming for iPhone 5 support
-The next update will only support iOS 4.3+ devices as well as only arm7 devices. This is a new limitation being set by apple if you want to support the iPhone 5 :( However the app size will go down dramatically in the next version.
Another good reason not to buy Apple products. Basically, this is saying that Apple is telling developers that if they want their apps to run on the newest iPhone, then they have to remove support for older devices. That's worse than forcing you to buy all new accessories if you want the new iPhone 5.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Motz wrote:Also 1.2.9 is coming for iPhone 5 support
-The next update will only support iOS 4.3+ devices as well as only arm7 devices. This is a new limitation being set by apple if you want to support the iPhone 5 :( However the app size will go down dramatically in the next version.
Another good reason not to buy Apple products. Basically, this is saying that Apple is telling developers that if they want their apps to run on the newest iPhone, then they have to remove support for older devices. That's worse than forcing you to buy all new accessories if you want the new iPhone 5.
This happens with Anroid as well. MyMovies has some great WHS features that can only be taken advantage of on 2.3 or later. With that said, their app does work on earlier versions aside from a feature or two.

I do agree otherwise, I don't care for how Apple cycles their products.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:26 pm

mcewinter wrote:This happens with Anroid as well. MyMovies has some great WHS features that can only be taken advantage of on 2.3 or later. With that said, their app does work on earlier versions aside from a feature or two.
Not the same thing at all - new features only being supported on newer devices is one thing, requiring deveopers who want to support new devices to drop support for older devices is another thing.

That said, Ceton should consider leaving the older version of the app available in the iTunes store for people who can't/won't upgrade their iDevices.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 pm

foxwood wrote:
mcewinter wrote:This happens with Anroid as well. MyMovies has some great WHS features that can only be taken advantage of on 2.3 or later. With that said, their app does work on earlier versions aside from a feature or two.
Not the same thing at all - new features only being supported on newer devices is one thing, requiring deveopers who want to support new devices to drop support for older devices is another thing.

That said, Ceton should consider leaving the older version of the app available in the iTunes store for people who can't/won't upgrade their iDevices.
Exactly what I was thinking.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 pm

foxwood wrote:

I have come across apps that are not compatible on 2.2, I just don't have an example at the moment. It does happen. I'm not trying to defend anybody (Apple) or take sides.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:59 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
foxwood wrote:

Exactly what I was thinking.
To Ceton's credit, their app is widely available. Apple is the culprit.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:05 pm

I don't know how many iOS 4.2 devices out there - but given that they're alreadyt supporting 4 or 5 different versions of the app (counting the Kindle and Nook versions as different from the generic Android version) supporting 2 versions on iDevices wouldn't be impossible - it just might not be sensible if the population of 4.2 devices isn't big enough that it would generate enough sales to justify the additional support.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 pm

I think it would suck to pay for the app on an old device than have to re-purchase it after inevitably upgrading.

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 pm

So here is the official list from iTunes:
Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

Basically 4.3 is the new requirement from Apple. This is very similar to how Windows Phone now forces Mango on everyone. Additionally you will start to see Android apps force 2.3+ (although this is almost everyone).

For Android we support 2.2+ only because it runs great on these devices, and also the NOOK Color requires 2.2 Android on it.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:56 pm

mcewinter wrote:I think it would suck to pay for the app on an old device than have to re-purchase it after inevitably upgrading.
The purchases are linked to your account (apple id, windows live, or google) so you can re-download on your new device, or download to multiple devices at the same time. :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:23 am

Motz wrote:
mcewinter wrote:I think it would suck to pay for the app on an old device than have to re-purchase it after inevitably upgrading.
The purchases are linked to your account (apple id, windows live, or google) so you can re-download on your new device, or download to multiple devices at the same time. :)
If you were to make a pre 4.3 app I assumed it would be a seperate app.

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:37 am

Ahhh yeah apple does not support multiple apps under the same name. Google play does though so I could have 1 app but 2 apk files targeting different versions.

To be honest the app doesn't run fantastic on older older devices so it is probably for the best.
I Write, Code, and Tweet