Anyone using a Roku in a Media Center home?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone using a Roku in a Media Center home?

Post by JTScribe » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:54 pm

I'm looking to put one in for the bedroom television as it has both Netflix and Amazon streaming. Does anyone have any experience streaming recorded TV or DVD ISOs to a Roku?

rdb4133

Post by rdb4133 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:03 am

JTScribe wrote:I'm looking to put one in for the bedroom television as it has both Netflix and Amazon streaming. Does anyone have any experience streaming recorded TV or DVD ISOs to a Roku?
Plex would probably be your best bet using the Roku for streaming local content.

Jefe

Post by Jefe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:29 am

I use a Roku upstairs. It's great. I use the Plex app to stream movies and recorded tv from the HTPC downstairs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm

Just in case you didn't already know, this type of setup will only work with non-copy-protected content. Only an extender for Windows Media Center will play copy-protected content. This is important because the OP has a CableCARD tuner.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:58 pm

Knock on wood I haven't run into any protected content . . . yet.

Jefe, does the Plex app stream Blu-Ray ISOs?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:05 pm

JTScribe wrote:Knock on wood I haven't run into any protected content . . . yet.

Jefe, does the Plex app stream Blu-Ray ISOs?
I don't use Plex, but after a quick Google search, I found this FAQ.

Jefe

Post by Jefe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:26 pm

I use it to play ripped MKV and MP4 blu rays. Wirelessly it doesn't seem to be able to handle 1080p, but that is a wireless limitation of my network. It does just fine wired.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm actually starting to wonder if I might not be better off getting a PS3. They do Netflix/Amazon as well, play Blu-Rays, and can still stream video rips as well. My cousin just got a job at Best Buy and his employee discount is pretty sweet . . . any opinions on PS3 vs Roku? There are several PS3 exclusive titles I'm interested in as well . . .

As far as rips, I've been fiddling around with Handbrake and it seems to do pretty well converting Blu-rays into MKVs. In my particular situation I'm not really starved for hard drive space; is it possible to do an MKV rip with lossless conversion? IE, the files I'm getting as output are 4-6GB from 40-50GB Blu Rays. Want to keep quality up there as much as possible.

rdb4133

Post by rdb4133 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

JTScribe wrote:I'm actually starting to wonder if I might not be better off getting a PS3. They do Netflix/Amazon as well, play Blu-Rays, and can still stream video rips as well. My cousin just got a job at Best Buy and his employee discount is pretty sweet . . . any opinions on PS3 vs Roku? There are several PS3 exclusive titles I'm interested in as well . . .

As far as rips, I've been fiddling around with Handbrake and it seems to do pretty well converting Blu-rays into MKVs. In my particular situation I'm not really starved for hard drive space; is it possible to do an MKV rip with lossless conversion? IE, the files I'm getting as output are 4-6GB from 40-50GB Blu Rays. Want to keep quality up there as much as possible.
You can rip a Blu-Ray in full quality to MKV using MakeMKV :)